Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    motheroftwo87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 07:05 PM
    Can a father file kidnapping charges on the mother if there is no custody order?
    I have two kids that I take care of all the time without help from the biological father. The father is in jail and has a criminal history. He is court ordered to pay child support but does not pay that either. I live with my mother and father, and recently my father has been given a promotion and a pay increase. Along with that he has to transfer out of NC to TX and I was wanting to go with them. I have been told that since there is no custody order between myslf and the father of my children that if I move, he could file kidnapping charges on me when he is released from jail. Can someone tell me if he is able to file kidnapping charges on me, considering the fact that he has no relationship with the children and is not paying child support.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by motheroftwo87 View Post
    ... I have been told that since there is no custody order between myslf and the father of my children that if I move, he could file kidnapping charges on me when he is released from jail. ...
    You were told wrong. Just make sure he knows how to contact his chidren after you move.
    motheroftwo87 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 07:28 PM
    The father of my children has not seen or heard from the father since August of 2011 and by moving to TX it allows the children to get a better education. So if I move from NC to TX and do not give the father any information on where I am at what happens then?
    Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by motheroftwo87 View Post
    ... So if I move from NC to TX and do not give the father any information on where I am at what happens then?
    Well, some states make it a crime to hide a child from one of the chid's parents. But I don't see anything in the North Carolina criminal statutes that would apply, so nothing, I guess.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 09:39 PM
    As soon as you move and establish residency you really need to get a order of custody.
    Remember if he is the legal father, ( assume that is proven in court or on birth certificate) if you have court ordered child support. So without custody order, nothing stops him from also taking kids, if you can take them.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2012, 04:31 AM
    There are federal laws governing parental kidnapping. So I would NOT advise hiding the children from the father. On the other hand, hiding doesn't not necessarily mean you have to inform the father.

But the best course of action is to establish residence in TX then file for sole legal and physical custody. This way you don't have to worry.
    Expert

Feb 22, 2012, 08:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    there are federal laws governing parental kidnapping. ...
    Scott, you may recall we discussed a similar issue in another thread a few days ago. The Federal kidnapping statute, 18 USC § 1201, seems to more-or-less exclude parental kidnapping. So which statute is it to which you are referring please.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    ... But the best course of action is to establish residence in TX then file for sole legal and physical custody. This way you don't have to worry.
    Specifically, the children (assuming they are not under 6 months in age) would have to be in Texas for at least 6 months.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2012, 03:57 AM
    Try USC 28 § 1738A

Parental Kidnapping Law & Legal Definition

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file abandonment charges in GA w/ a open order in another state? [ 7 Answers ]

I currently have a support order in OH where both myself and my children's father use to live. He then moved to CA so we have had a foreign support order established since 2005. I am currently living in Georgia and wish to file abandonment charges. Can I file the charges here in Georgia where me...

Can a dad file child abandoment charges against the mother? [ 1 Answers ]

A mother left the kids with the father for 9 days but she talked to the kids on the phone.She is wanting to get her kids and he says no that he is filing abandoment charges against her.Can he do this?

Mothers rights with no custody order for father or mother [ 9 Answers ]

The Father and Grandparents are keeping My two year old and I away from each other. There are no custody orders in place yet. The grandparents and father have very close family ties with the very small city police department, Overland PD. I have contacted the grandparents to inform them that...

When to file abandonment charges on a mother [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew,s mother has been in an abusive relationship on and off for about 9 years.about 3 months ago she left with my nephew and her other son,she went to her brother,s house last week sometime she went back to her boyfriend and left ny nephew at her brother's house.this is my brother's son,my...

View more questions Search