Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShiftHappens Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2005, 02:08 PM
    CD-ROM not showing
    I just cleaned up an older PC for a friend of mine. The last thing I ran was CHKDSK. Now the system doesn't want to recognize the CD-ROM. It has been working fine and if you insert a CD, it lights up like it is reading it, but the CD-ROM won't show up in either My Computer or Explorer.

Any ideas? I tried letting the Hardware Wizard search for it, but no luck. Is it something I need to reset in setup before going into Windows?

Any help would be greatly appreciated because this guy is disabled vet and this computer is his only real livelyhood.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
    ShiftHappens
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Oct 14, 2005, 04:41 AM
    cd-rom
    Hi,
    Does this computer use XP?
    If so, here is a link to download a fix for it. It requires a registry value change, and this fix will take care of it.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_d...cd_dvd_fix.htm

Best of luck,
    fredg
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jan 30, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Uninstall it from device manager, then reinstall it, also reseat the IDE cable and make sure the jumper config is correct. If all else fails, test the cd rom in another computer to make sure its not a faulty cd drive
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2008, 04:51 PM
    Try this, it has worked for other people I have given it to and it does not hurt your system

open registry and search for lowerfilters and delete key
    Start, run type regedit Enter
    Go up to edit and click find, in box type lowerfilters - if found, right click on lowerfilters and delete and say OK
    Do the same for upperfilters and then close registry editor and reboot computer and try to use cd rom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord showing apartment while occupied [ 10 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is legal for a landlord to show an apartment while it is still occupied. I have satisfied my lease and am moving in 30 days. She keeps giving my telephone number to people who are calling me wanting to view. I told her to stop so now she is going to just show the place...

NTFS Drive showing Unallocated [ 19 Answers ]

Hi Gang, My first question! XP SP2, 3 HDD's. 1st Drive Primary Active Fat32(0), 2nd Drive Data Fat32(1), 3rd Drive NTFS(2). The problem is that when I plug in the 3rd Drive, it shows up correctly in BIOS, also in ControlPanel/System/Hard Drives, but NOT in MyPC. And In AdminTools,...

Old files showing up now [ 5 Answers ]

I used to download 'adult' files from the net... I have not done so for over a year... just today I found a folder titled 'metadata' and in it was several 'adult' titled files. Does anyone know where this metadata folder would have came from? It seems to be common with P2P file sharing...

WIN98 not showing up on Network [ 12 Answers ]

I am trying to network a XP and a 98SE computer using a router. Both get on the net just fine and the 98 see's the XP with no problem. For the life of me though I can't get 98 to show up on the network. Anyone got any clue's? Thanks for your time. :confused:

Hard Drive not showing up [ 14 Answers ]

Hi I recently unpluged 1 of the IDE cables that was attached to one of my hard drives as I needed to attach my friend hard drive to transfer data from him. I have to do this as I all ready have 3 hard drives installed on my PC + a dvd writer Any way I have just re-attached my hard drive and it...

View more questions Search