Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Odyssey1517 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2006, 05:05 PM
    Is This Discrimination ?
    I have a quick question. I live in FL, and a friend of mine was fired because her boss said that she didn't fit in to the 4 person office she was working at. I told her that it is because is was the only black female there. Everyone else was white. She was there only 3 or 2 weeks and her boss had told her she had a 3 month probation period before she let her go. But she told me her boss came in one day to the office when she wasn't scheduled to be there just to fire her. She said that her boss a week before her firing her, had said she was doing great and that everyone( meaning her patients) loved her. My friend worked at a Psychology office here in Lakeland FL. Can that boss do that to her? I told her to get a lawyer!! I think that is discrimination.:(
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 21, 2006, 05:08 PM
    Making those claims stick is a difficult issue.

Yes, legal advice is exactly what you need - but be wary of the attorney who is too eager.

It will be based on what evidence can be shown to back the claim.

The fact that the office is all white is not evidence. The evidence will need to show that she was treated 1. differently than others in similar circumstances, and 2. that it was specifically because of race.

... generally this is a difficult battle.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2006, 05:16 PM
    I agree with Rickj.

Why is it that once a person is fired, it has to be racism?

Heck a 4 person office and she is the only black one there? That's not too rare. How many ethnicities are there in Florida?

Proving racism is going to be very difficult. But, if the boss was really racist, why would he have hired her 3 weeks prior?

Perhaps it's a cultural difference. The white office people weren't use to her personality or something? I don't think the fact that she was black was the reason they let her go.

But if you and her do believe racism was the factor for her firing, then you should contact a lawyer and proceed down this path.
    sultrylegs2004 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2006, 05:18 PM
    Well, it may sound that it was discrimination but we have to both hear the two sides of the story or the two sides of the coin to be able to come up with proper conclusion but you know if this is proven that it was a discrimination assult... the former boss would have to pay the price... coz it's a BIG NO-NO in a company...
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2006, 06:06 PM
    Federal link
    Use this link for meaning of discrimination and remedies for it.

http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/qanda.html
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2006, 11:28 AM
    Probationary
    During a probationary period a person can be let go with no cause.
    They did not have to give her a reason.

She may have not worked as hard as the other, she may have not eaten the right food, she may not have lived in the right area, she may not have worn the right clothes, it could have been anyting

Of course if they did not want a black, they just would not have hired her to start with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Discrimination against height? [ 5 Answers ]

Why has basketball been arbitrarily limited to the taller men? This is like limiting boxing to heavyweights. Why not make this sport available on a professional level to all heights and adjust the height of the basket accordingly. Nothing is lost in the drama of the game.

Discrimination or what? [ 7 Answers ]

My friend is having a real serious problem at her job. About 6 months ago, she went into a new position at her workplace, where she has been 8 years now. She is the plant/office secretary. Three months after she was there, they moved her (and her helper) from her office into a broom closet, or at...

EEOC & Racial Discrimination [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a claim filed in Phoenix against AAA of Arizona. This is the auto service club that changes tires, tows, etc. I am going to a mediation meeting and am trying to get more information to take in with me. I need to find out about similar cases and the settlement amounts given. I am...

Does this sound like discrimination? [ 9 Answers ]

Does this sound like discrimination? I’ve not been able to visit the dentist in a year because I was rushed into hospital for a hip replacement back in January 2005. Recently I tried to make an appointment with my dentist only to be told that because I had not visited it in a year I had been...

View more questions Search