Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luigi1111 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2008, 09:28 AM
    New Mattress
    Has anyone purchased a new mattress and used the old foundation? Sets are so expensive, my foundation is 10 yrs old.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 10:22 AM
    Most of your expense is in the mattress so I'm not sure how much you could save by using the old foundation.

If it is of good quality, not one of the one by two frames, wrapped in cardboard, you can probably make do with it.

I would check the savings by not purchasing the foundation and decide if it's worth having a mismatched bed in your bedroom.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Sometimes they won't guarantee the mattress if you don't put it on their foundation and they usually don't give much of a discount for not buying the foundation. It seems like kind of a scam but they really want you to buy it--must cost pennies to make them.

Good mattresses have become really expensive. :(
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking
    Sometimes they won't guarantee the mattress if you don't put it on their foundation and they usually don't give much of a discount for not buying the foundation. It seems like kind of a scam but they really want you to buy it--must cost pennies to make them.

Good mattresses have become really expensive. :(
    If I've learned one thing, MOST mattress Warranties are WORTHLESS!

Sure, they'll give you a Lifetime Limited Warranty.

Then, when the bed sags in the middle, within only a couple of years, on a LIFETIME warranty, they want you to tie weights to a string, lay it across the mattress, measure the distance from the mattress to the string, take photos, submit triplicate copies to numerous sources, then you get a letter stating that the "sag" is considered "normal wear and tear" and is not severe enough to be replaced.

My advice, just ignore the warranty, it is probably worthless anyway.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2008, 10:44 AM
    True! The way they measure sag pretty much eliminates any possibility of ever getting anything from a warranty. So why worry about having a warranty? You essentially don't have one anyway.

.. . But then I think what if the mattress is REALLY bad? Maybe it would be good to have one... :)
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2008, 02:08 PM
    I've successfully used the old foundation piece under a new mattress. Just ditch the old mattress and slap on a new one and you'll be okay. I recently kept the foundation and threw the mattress away (again) and now I am using memory foam instead which I like much, much better as it doesn't sag. I have about 12" of memory foam on a regular foundation and sleep like the Princess and the Pea (without the pea that is).
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Should be fine I know several people who have used the old base and just replaced the mattress, lets face it very few people make complaints about a mattress, so the guarantee is not worth the paper it's written on...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which mattress [ 8 Answers ]

Is the Englander Synergy Mattress as comfortable and reliable as advertised or will it break down as some reviews on Englander mattresses suggest?

What is the absolute best mattress to have? [ 2 Answers ]

I heard that Tempur-pedic is best? But is expensive. Please before I buy a new mattress, I would appreciate feed back on the type and kind of mattress you have, and if it helps, your back, restfulness, health etc. Also I heard that coil matresses are bad for the alignment of your body? Also,...

Sleep number mattress [ 4 Answers ]

I am considering getting a new mattress. I now have a waterbed, I was thinking of a Serta perfect sleeper or a Tempur-pedic, but have heard that the sleep number mattress is the way to go. Do anyone have any pro and cons on these.

Simmons beautyrest mattress [ 3 Answers ]

Would you recommend this mattress? I was looking at one today, its what the sales person called a "flush top", but it looked like a very thin pillow top to me. I've read good & bad opinions, on the epinions site, what's your thoughts? Thanks

New Mattress [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All! My mattress is busting springs, worn down and on her way out. I'm now in the market for a new & Good one! I know a good one can be quite expensive so I'm doing all the research before I visit the 1800mattress showroom. I was then going to purchase online, I heard they have a discount and...

View more questions Search