Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aroukapenn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Avoid early payoff penalty?
    I was brain storming and trying to figure out a way to avoid an early payoff penalty on my auto loan.

I have a little over than $1,000 left on the balance of the loan, and if I payoff before November 2008 I incur a penalty. The actual maturity date is not until May 2009.

I was thinking if I pay all but a dollar of the loan ( currently as it stands zero payment is due until my next payment date of November 2008). My interest would only be based on the $1 and I would avoid having to pay the early penalty fee. If I pay off the balance at November 2008 the early fee would drop off.

Would this be a fair assessment of leaving the $1 on the loan, in hopes of avoid the penalty fee.

Anita
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2007, 07:28 PM
    It Depends.

What does your contract say?

Can you do something like that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdrawal and 10% penalty [ 2 Answers ]

In regard to an early 401k withdrawal, can someone advise if the 10% penalty is calculated on the amount AFTER the 20% withholding, or is it on the amount of the original withdraw? (e.g. If you withdraw $10,000 from your 401k early, and the company withholds 20%=$2000; are you then required to pay...

Payoff-13 [ 1 Answers ]

Wife Is In 11th Mo. Of Chapter 13 For Credit Cards And Is Listed On Mortgage.I Can Refinance Or Obtain Loans In My Name .what Can Be Done To Eliminate Debt I Have And Get Cash For Things We Need . Lawyer We Have Is No Help.what Is Best Way To Pay Off Chapter 13 And Get Money We Need

Mortgage penalty - how to avoid [ 10 Answers ]

Guys Hi by the way, new to the forum. I have a question. We are currently with Wells Fargo and tied into the mortgage for 1 more year. With my wife being pregnant we need to move but WF want $5000 for us to break away early. IS there anyway of breaking this ? Are there any mortgage...

Early withdrawal penalty [ 1 Answers ]

I took a 401K withdrawl to pay for daughters college. I paid it back while employed. I changed jobs and I was issued a 1099-R as income from the unpaid balance of the original withdrawl. Question is: Can the 10% penalty be waived for early withdrawl from 401K or is relief only applicable with...

Retirement debt payoff [ 2 Answers ]

I have $183,000. In an investment account that I rolled over from my 401K when I retired. I owe $23,000 in bills. I am wondering if I should withdraw money from my investment account to pay off the bills. I receive $1217/month from pension and $1666/month from Soc Sec. My husband is retired and...

View more questions Search