Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johndeere8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2009, 04:20 PM
    Thermostat replacement
    I'm replacing an old bryant thermostat with a new hunter digital.
    I need help with wiring . 2 red , 2 white , 1 blue
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2009, 06:13 PM

What did the colers go to on the old stat? Should go back the same for a 5 wire setup!
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2009, 07:18 PM

You will have to look at the low voltage terminal board, even then it may not tell you anything.

You may have to use an ohm meter to find out which wire is which. To find out which is which, disconnect the wires from the thermostat and also from the furnace terminal board. Now tie the white wires together on one end, now touch your Ohm meter probes to the white wires on the other end. If your meter moves that will tell you that the two white wires go all the way to the other end. Now tie one white wire that you have marked with a tag that says "Gas" to the blue wire, if you meter moves you know that the blue is good. Now mark the blue wire with a tag marked "Fan"

Now repeat the process using the two red wires with the blue wire wire. When you have identified one of the red wires put a tag on it marked "Power in", the other red wire tag it with a tag that says "A.C".

I failed to tell you to tag the wires the same on both ends.

Now connect the wires as follows.

"Gas" to W on thermostat and furnace terminal.

"Fan" to G on thermostat and furnace.

"Power in" to Rh on thermostat and R at furnace.

"A.C." to Y on thermostat and to Y on the furnace.

Now you should have two wires coming from th AC unit outside, One wire will go on the Y terminal at the furnace and the other wire from outside will go on the "C" or "Com" at the furnace.

If this does not help let me know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement of Carrier Heat Pump Thermostat with Honeywell TH6000 series thermostat. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Series 50QT Electric heat pump that still uses the original non programmable thermostat. I am trying to replace it with Honeywell TH6000 series programmable thermostat. The wiring on the existing Thermostat as follows: O - White, I am thinking this is the Reversing Valve? Y...

Thermostat replacement [ 1 Answers ]

How do I replace my therostat? Is is complicated?

Thermostat Replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to replace my old thermostat with a new Humter Programmable Thermostat but as I can tell from surfing wire matching is not an easy thing. My unit was put into service in 1976. In the old thermostat there are the following wires: Y - Yellow G - Green R - Red O - Orange ...

Thermostat replacement [ 5 Answers ]

I have manually operated mercury bulb type thermostat, make YORK(honeywell), model T834C in my home. It is two stege heat and one stage cool thermostat(multi stage). It has 6 wires , Red two, Yellow two, white two. The terminals where the wires are connectd are not marked. 3 wires(R,Y,W) are...

View more questions Search