Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Reverendherc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2007, 03:21 PM
    Generic thermostat to honeywell. Having trouble please assist.
    So my old thermostat, starting acting up. It was a generic digital thermostat with
    Y - yellow wire
    G - Green wire
    O - not hooked up
    B - not hooked up but in the wall
    W - white wire
    R - Red wire

The air handler I have is a ruud

And new thermostat is a honeywell rth230b

First I am not sure if I should use all 5 wires or if I should use the 4 wire set up.
    The wire configure on the honey well is

Rh
    Rc
    W
    Y
    G
    And there was a jumper included for Rh and Rc

The reason I am changing thermostats is because the generic old one, would turn off and the display would go blank and it would just turn on when it wanted to... I have no idea why but, when it would finally turn back on, the temp would say 79 and then it would cool to about 76, when I would set it at 73 and would just turn off again... I have no idea what it is doing... any help would be great. Thanks you very much
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Not much to it, the same as the old except for RH and RC which are to accommodate separate heating and cooling transformers. Just use the jumper and connect the red wire to one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell thermostat [ 11 Answers ]

I installed a Honeywell CT87A 4447 thermostat this summer. It worked fine with my air conditioning, but I am having a problem with it controlling my furnace. It will turn the furnace on and I can turn the fan on manually, but when set to auto the fan does not come on. The thermostat has the...

York to Honeywell Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a problem when trying to change an existing York (4) wire manual themostat to a Honeywell (4) wire manual thermostat. The existing wires are RED,WHITE,YELLOW, and GREEN. This themostat works but temperature setting is not accurate and it is almost thirty years old. I am trying to...

Please Help w/Replacing Honeywell Thermostat... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I've just removed my Honeywell Thermostat and am trying to replace it with a Noma programmable tstat... but am having problems with the wiring. There are 5 wires coming out of the wall - Green, Black, Orange, Red and White, and only 4 posts on the Noma tstat (Green, Red, Yellow and White). ...

Honeywell rth230b thermostat [ 3 Answers ]

We hooked up the honeywell programmable thermostat and it was working fine for 10 days or so until this weekend when the temperature should be at 67 all day from 6am to 10pm and 62 from 10pm until 6am on sat and sun. this weekend the thermostat does not bring the temp up to 67 but it leaves it at...

Honeywell Thermostat RTH230B [ 4 Answers ]

I see there are a few questions on this one, but mine seems simple. I have Red, Yellow, Green and White leads from the old Thermostat. I have no idea where to place the leads, in the channels under the screws or the channels on top. My leads do not reach from out of the wall to go under, and if it...

View more questions Search