Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rayachi Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2008, 10:37 PM
    Freon smell affect for hvac tech
    Is freon r 12/ r 134/ r 22 good to smell ? I work in cfc , is it dangerous to smell ? What can cause ? Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 16, 2008, 03:31 AM
    This is information on 'Freon' that everyone should know considering a household refrigerator has freon in it.

"Freon" is not exact a chemical. "Freon" is actually a trade name that describes a whole class of chemicals used in refrigeration. Most of the chemicals included under the trade name of "Freon" are known as "chlorofluorocarbons." This means that their chemical structure is made up of the main chemical building blocks of carbon and hydrogen, but they also include chlorine and fluorine as well. With out knowing the EXACT version of freon that was used in your refrigerator, one can only comment on the general health effects of freon as a whole.

The most serious side effect of freon exposure would occur at the time of initial exposure. People who have a history of heart problems should be very concerned about Freon because it can cause cardiac arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat), and palpitations at very high concentrations. For people who have a history of heart problems, being exposed to small amounts of Freon from leaking appliances should not pose any significant health risk.

Fortunately, Freon does not have serious long term health consequences. It is not a carcinogen, teratogen, or mutagen, and it does not damage the liver. When it is inhaled, it is rapidly excreted by exhalation, and it is not significantly accumulated in the body. This means that breathing low concentrations of freon from a leaking refrigerator or air conditioner over a long period is unlikely to have a cumulative effect, and thus few, if any, long term health effects.

When trying to figure out how much Freon you have been exposed to, there are several things to keep in mind. First, there is a finite amount of Freon contained in the refrigeration system, so you can't be exposed to any more than what is actually in the system. Second, Freon is about 4 times heavier than air, so it is going to sink to the floor initially, though it is highly volatile and will disperse rapidly. What this means is that the closer to the floor that you are, the more Freon you are likely to breathe in. This is a concern especially for children and pets, children because they are smaller and thus require smaller doses for acute effects to occur, and pets, especially dogs, because they are more sensitive to the heart sensitizing effects of Freon than humans are.

If you discover that you have a Freon leak, contact a technician for repairs immediately. Open up windows and doors and use fans to help move the air out of the area. Remove yourself and your pets to an area of fresh air, and if you feel any unusual health effects, seek medical care. If you have chronic heart conditions, consider having your Freon containing appliances checked regularly for leaks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2008, 04:57 AM
    Freons are even used as propellants for inhaled medications.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Describe two factors that affect labor supply and two factors that affect labor deman [ 7 Answers ]

Describe two factors that affect labor supply and two factors that affect labor demand. Using economic principles, describe how changes in the labor market have affected you or someone you know.

Low freon [ 1 Answers ]

Our building maintenance man says that my freon is very, very low. He told me that A/C companies are going to tell me that I need a completely new unit, but it's possible that the leak can be fixed by fixing or replacing the valve stem(s)? I would like to get some other opinions. What do you...

Freon Pressure [ 4 Answers ]

Would someone tell me what is the freon pressure reading on the guauges shoul be OK for 92 honda prelude? Thanks so large

Freon [ 2 Answers ]

How can determine if I have enough Freon in the system? Someone told me if coolant pipe is not very cold then there is not enough Freon. Is it true? TG

How much Freon [ 2 Answers ]

How much freon (R19) should be used to fill a home A/C unit. I need to replace the evaporator and must dischrage the system and refill it.

View more questions Search