Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UsBlkgal Posts: 83, Reputation: 9

Aug 4, 2007, 08:36 PM
    How to beat impound fees?
    My best friend car was sitting on the street in los angeles and LAPD impounded it because it did not have recent tags. The storage was so high that I did not get the car and now they have sold my car and am asking for $600.00. What can I do to get impound storage and towing to leave me alone? She is on disability and cannot afford to pay the fee.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Hello again, gal:

Because she can't afford to pay it, doesn't mean she doesn't owe it, and is going to suffer all the indignities that any of us would if we didn't pay our bills.

I don't think her disability can be garnished, however, so even if they did sue her, they can't collect. Maybe if she wrote them a letter tellilng them that, including of copy of her disability award letter as evidence, they may stop. Or they may not.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Whose car was it, yours or your friend?

Why did you not get it the first or second day it was impounded ? I am sure it was cheaper at that point.

But yes, they will continue to ask for the money until they are paid. Since it was a legal impound, the vechile sold to cover costs, you owe the additional costs not covered by the sale. That is just how the law works.

I am confused you say to make them stop bothering you, and then say she can't pay the fee. If it is not your car, they should not be bothering you at all
    UsBlkgal Posts: 83, Reputation: 9

Aug 5, 2007, 05:12 PM
    My friend (who owns the car that went into impound) lives half way across the united states from me. I was just curious about her situation (as I am extremely curious about most things) and wondered what her recourse might be. We have been friends for over forty years and I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. Even though the question was not for me, I learn a lot from every question that I ask... Your're right "why should I care", but why shouldn't I? She would have asked if she had a computer and the folks here are kind enough to share their valued life's lessons... I try to do the same. Oh. I am not sure why she did not get the car out of impound. It was probably because she did not have the money. A shadetree mechanic that she trusted to "fix" the car for her left it on the street on a day that a streetsweeper cleaned and it was impounded. In short, kids, saving money with a shadetree mechanic may shave money off your repair bills but not always on your possession of the car.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 5, 2007, 05:16 PM
    Did not mean that you should not care, but often people are having the problems but they use the "my frined"

But the sad thing on some things, you are fighting against government employees who don't care, have rules and those rules are more important than helping anyone, plus they hear hard luck stories every day.
    This works best in smaller towns, but can work in bigger cities, go see your city counsel person and if they will make some phone calls for you, it may help.

I had a dog issue about two week ago, several phone calls to county commissions and a personal visit to the county mayor and they made it all right with no cost to me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

USMLE fees, h1b attorney fees [ 4 Answers ]

I am on a H1b visa in the US... my wife is a physician who is writing USMLE exams to get a residency in US... I was wondering if I can deduct all the usmle exam fees + costs of applying to residency programs (close to $5000) as expenses on my taxes? I also paid for the attorney fees to get my...

Could someone help me think of this song name? It's techno and the beat goes... [ 3 Answers ]

Dododododo do do dodododo really fast.. or Dunnnananan do do Dunnnananan do do DunnnanananDunnnanananDunnnanananDunnnananan someone please help!

College application fees and testing fees as tax deductions [ 3 Answers ]

Are the fees we are paying for our son to apply to various colleges tax deductable? Also, what about the money paid to take ACT ; SAT and AP tests? And, th emoney spent requesting these scores be sent to the universities being applied to?

Got beat up, not doing so well emotionally. [ 5 Answers ]

About a little more than a month ago I was jumped by three guys at school and I'm having a lot of trouble dealing with it, I broke my jaw and received a consussion during the fight, the guys were arrested and we are going to sue and all that but it still odesnt help. I know they will get in some...

Beat the amortization [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, my 10th grd math teacher asked us to write a paper about beating the amortizations on debt... but all I have been able to come up with is the meaning of it... and several amortization calculators, but these aren't telling me what I need. Does anyone know any thing about this?? :confused:

View more questions Search