Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brenok's Avatar
    Brenok Posts: 47, Reputation: 6
    Junior Member
     
    #1

    Feb 16, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Retired Couples - Do you sometimes go crazy?
    Okie dokie, hubby and I retired about a year and a half ago at the same time. The problem is - he follows me around like a puppy dog and hates if I leave the house by myself and feels hurt if I tell him I need a "me" day. He doesn't have many interests and no friends since we recently moved to a new state. Please don't suggest activities for him - he is not interested in doing things by himself! Also, he is not a real people person and doesn't like "hangin with the guys." Bummer huh?

    We do lots of things when the weather is warm but it is always together. I am a very independent person and sometimes need my space but he just doesn't understand. We both worked for over 30 years and stayed busy with jobs, etc. but now it is like I am having to be a mother hen to a new chickie, and my other kiddos are grown up and out of the house!

    Short of feeding him to the aligators, any suggestions? Thanks and bless you!
    B
    xphelper's Avatar
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29
    Full Member
     
    #2

    Feb 16, 2008, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brenok
    Okie dokie, hubby and I retired about a year and a half ago at the same time. The problem is - he follows me around like a puppy dog and hates if I leave the house by myself and feels hurt if I tell him I need a "me" day. He doesn't have many interests and no friends since we recently moved to a new state. Please don't suggest activities for him - he is not interested in doing things by himself! Also, he is not a real people person and doesn't like "hangin with the guys." Bummer huh?

    We do lots of things when the weather is warm but it is always together. I am a very independent person and sometimes need my space but he just doesn't understand. We both worked for over 30 years and stayed busy with jobs, etc. but now it is like I am having to be a mother hen to a new chickie, and my other kiddos are grown up and out of the house!!

    Short of feeding him to the aligators, any suggestions? Thanks and bless ya!
    B
    Hello,

    I don't have a magic answer for you; however, if you need time for yourself... take it! And if he balks, he'll get over it and your relationship will be better off in the long run (at least that's what my wife tells me).
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692
    Expert
     
    #3

    Feb 16, 2008, 07:09 PM
    I "semi retired" a few years ago, ( I was in law enforcement) after three days into my retirement, my wife made me a sign, it said ( will shoot people for food) she told me in ever so "loving" words, to go beg money on the corner, collect cans on the road, but get out of her house doing the day.
    Woe_Be_Me's Avatar
    Woe_Be_Me Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #4

    Feb 16, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Xhelper
    Ooops, I am a newbie and made a comment on your comment, messed up. I thought I answered the main quote, sorry but you did have a good answer.

    Quote Originally Posted by xphelper
    Hello,

    I don't have a magic answer for you; however, if you need time for yourself... take it! And if he balks, he'll get over it and your relationship will be better off in the long run (at least that's what my wife tells me).
    Brenok's Avatar
    Brenok Posts: 47, Reputation: 6
    Junior Member
     
    #5

    Feb 16, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Woe-Be-Me - If you want to answer a main post, just go to the message box below the last post and enter your answer and submit it. The rating comments are for rating individual answers. But - I do agree with your comment and it is nice to know that I am not the only one going through this retirement quandry - if you have anything to share, let me know - and thanks again,
    Bren

    Quote Originally Posted by Woe_Be_Me
    Xhelper
    Ooops, i am a newbie and made a comment on your comment, messed up. i thought i answered the main quote, sorry but you did have a good answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Two Couples being married and attracted to each other [ 13 Answers ]

What do you do when your married and attracted to a married person that is attracted to you, however that person is very brave and makes moves and others see it.

Older married couples [ 10 Answers ]

Since there seems to be a lot about marriage and relationships on the forum today, it made me think about my adoptive parents, who have been married for about 40 years, and are obviously happy together, but still treat each other like crap lol. Like I don't mean they treat each other badly in...

Tax claims for couples [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I live in different states (:( , hope it will change pretty soon). For tax return claim, is it the same if we claim individually as we claim together? Thanks

Young Couples and Friends [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Since you guys gave me such good advice last time I thought I would try again with another post. My wife and I have been married for 4 years or so and we have a 13 year old son which is from her previous marriage. We have a blended family. My wife and I have a few friends but none...

Married couples [ 1 Answers ]

I work for the government and have a married couple In same department, the husband is a supervisor. Is this ethical or legal?


View more questions Search