Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simdolha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2006, 01:53 PM
    How can I figure out the size of a hard disk in .ASM Language?
    I have a problem in trying to determine the size of a hard disk > 8Gb, in assembly language, because int13 extensions are not supported. If someone could suggest how to do this, I would grately appreciate it. I would also want to know if I could determine the model, name and vendor of the hard disk. Thank you very much.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

May 16, 2006, 06:37 PM
    At the risk of carbon dating myself I'll try to offer some suggestions but I'm really rusty in assembly.

So you want to read drive geometry beyond the 8.4GB limit imposed by CHS... I do recall there were newer (really old by now) extensions to int13 called extended int13 extensions which allowed you to do drive translations from physical (CHS) to Logical (LBA). I don't think CHS was actual physical but it doesn't matter. Most BIOSes now-a-days support extended int13 (i.e. they can allow you to do LBA in the BIOS). (ok... here's where you'll have to take what I say with a grain of salt because I'm really rusty... ) So you need to pass a value to the AH register of what you want to test for. I don't remember what that is but it basically tests for enhanced int13 support. Then if you can support extended int13 there are additional calls that you can make by populating? I think? AH with another value which after the int13 call would dump the data in another memory location that you set with?? another pointer?. Now my brain hurts. At least I hope it gives you some clue.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Formatting the Hard disk [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a harddisk of 80GB pre installed with Win98 SE. The hard disk is not partitioned and the entire disk is being used as a whole. I would like to create the partitions for the harddisk of 8GB each. But I heard that the standard FDisk option would not be suitable to format...

100% CPU usage due to a new hard disk,please help me [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a new hard disk in my notebook as my older one got a failure.There is windows xp professional in the new one.The dilemma is that it is taking too much time to get started,almost 15 minutes.And also,after getting started,my notebook is working very slowly.Task manager is showing 100% CPU...

Cannot access hard disk [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 HDs on my XP sysyem.Suddenly,I cannot access the slave,boot up locks up on"verifying DMI pool data". If I disconnect D: all is well.If I define d: as master and diconnect c:,I can then boot up from floppy and access the drive. The drive (20GIG) has partitions primary 8,extended 19+ and I...

How do I figure out what size wire to use on a 200 amp service. [ 2 Answers ]

My question is... how do I figure out what size wire to use when I know the Amperage of the electrical device. Is there some form of electrical calculation? For example I want to upgrade to a 200 amp panel from a 70 amp panel.

Choosing Hard Disk [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to buy a new hard disk, but I don't have much knowledge in this field. I would like to ask your opinion on choosing the best hard disk. I have take a look on the quatation of this particular computer store in my area. There are two choice that in my mind 1. 40GB Maxtor ATA...

View more questions Search