Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    MattyRoo74's Avatar
    MattyRoo74 Posts: 6, Reputation: 3
    New Member

    Jun 23, 2010, 11:01 AM
    Student Loans
    Ok, Here's a little background on the situation. I enrolled in the University of Phoenix in 2007. Although I received a full Pell grant, I had to take out student loans through Sallie Mae to cover my classes. In 2008, I decided to drop two classes due to personal reasons. The University of Phoenix then sent the funds that covered those classes back to my lender. This put me in debt almost $800 to the University of Phoenix. In 2010, I enrolled with a local college. I did not include my transcript from Phoenix, seeing as how I could not obtain it anyway since I owed them money. I received a full grant at the local college which covered my full tuition. Halfway through the semester, I received a letter from the Admissions office stating that my file has been "red-flagged" due to a missing transcript. I could not be a student with out a complete admission file. Even though I was making straight A's, the school had to drop me from all my classes. Being that it was the middle of the semester, it was past the drop/add date for financial aid. Therefore, I now owe the college almost $3000 as well as the $800 to the University of Phoenix.

    My question is - Would it be possible for me to take out a small student loan to pay off these debts? My loans with Sallie Mae are not delinquent.
    jakester's Avatar
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165
    Senior Member

    Jun 25, 2010, 06:44 PM

    Matty - I don't think it would be since you have already completed the semester and taking out a loan to retroactively pay for the semester is not something that Sallie Mae or others do in general.

    Perhaps you may try to strike a deal with the college to pay off some of that debt at a time. If you don't have the money, you don't have the money. But if you are willing to work out an arrangement with the college, I don't see why they wouldn't work with you. After all, the alternative for them is that you pay nothing back and they lose out. You sort of have the ball in your court since the courses have been completed already and they did not previously get compensated from you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Loans [ 4 Answers ]

What type of lawyer can I get to help me settler my dept for a student loan that is over 20+ yrs old.

Student loans [ 5 Answers ]

Can you file bankruptcy on a student loan in the amount of 200.000

Student Loans [ 2 Answers ]

I have Canadian/Ontario Student loans that have been "sold" to debt collection agencies. I had somenegative experience with them (they were really rude when I wasn't paying) so I stopped taking their phone calls. Now they are threatening legal action. What is the statue of Limitations on this...

Student Loans [ 2 Answers ]

My total monthly bills add up to more than I make, now that my student loans have come out of forebearance. I really want to start paying them down but cannot afford the $160/ month they require. Before this last time I went on forbearance, I offered to pay $50 per month and the student loan...

Student loans [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a student loan that has been in collection for a few years. He is VERY irresponsible with money, and has not made much headway in paying it off. Does anyone know if a student loan can be cancelled after a certain amount of years, or would he have to file for bankruptcy to get rid of...

View more questions Search