Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    SamGee's Avatar
    SamGee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 30, 2009, 08:40 AM
    Can a convicted felon receive financial aid, grants, or loans?
    I was trin to find out if I can get some help with college.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Jan 30, 2009, 09:33 AM

    Some funds are not available if convicted of drug charges. But your college aid department is where you start
    doesntwantit26's Avatar
    doesntwantit26 Posts: 29, Reputation: -3

    Jun 10, 2009, 06:16 PM

    As long as you didn't commit these crimes while awarded grants for school before. If this is the first time your trying congrats u should have no problem obtaining a loan/grant
    Clough's Avatar
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

    Jun 12, 2009, 11:10 PM

    Hi, SamGee!

    There might be some federal student aid available but not any grants that I know of, simply because someone is a former felon.

    I have heard something about the possibility of money being available through FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for those who have been convicted of a felony. However, it would depend on what the conviction was for and an applicant's compliance with certain stipulations in order to be eligible. For more information, please visit FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid

    Once a person has done their time been on probation or parole, basically paid their debt to society, then they are free to apply for monies just like anyone else does in the form of loans or financial aid from educational institutions, banks, municipalities and others.

    But, like I said above earlier, in order to be eligible for money from certain programs that are designed to help those who have been convicted of a felony, then it might depend on what the conviction was for and that certain conditions must be met.

    doesntwantit26's Avatar
    doesntwantit26 Posts: 29, Reputation: -3

    Jun 14, 2009, 04:49 AM

    I start college in the fall. I have been granted a New York state grant called tap. I also have been awarded a federal grant called pell. Now in order to get into this school I had to have letter of reccomendation from my parole officer and my counselor at my outpatient substance abuse treatment facility. I was also granted loans through my schools financial aid department, but I did not need them because I was awarded so much money in grants. Now obviously I'm a convicted felon now in order to get into the school I had to do many other things besides the letters of reccomendation. Like obtain my rap sheet from the department of justice services. I had to write additional essays about my crime and what I learned through my sentence. Amongst other things that people who don't have a criminal record don't have to do. So I know it is possible to receive services from these organizations. I don't know what state you live in ,but I also work with an organization called vesid. They also help pay for my schooling. Like other people said once you have chosen a school and have been accepted FAFSA is where to start. This is just my personal expierience with this, I'm not saying that you or anyone will have to do these things.
    punkdunk's Avatar
    punkdunk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 1, 2010, 10:42 AM
    How does an ex felon apply and receive help for s.s.I. benefits under the disadvantage persons act, once released from prison after I have been told there's no such thing as R.C.W. 74-29,105 for ex felons or persons with a felony.
    rewind2grace's Avatar
    rewind2grace Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jan 21, 2011, 08:30 AM
    Just go down to your local SSi office and get an appointment. You will have to come back a second time. I am a 3 time ex felon and receive SSD.
    jones24810's Avatar
    jones24810 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 28, 2012, 08:28 AM
    I am just out of prison and I've done 6 years and I am in currently need of money to help me get back on my feet and how can I find a grant to help me out?
    My emial is
    jackie081184's Avatar
    jackie081184 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 26, 2012, 12:07 PM
    I was inquiring for my boyfriend who is interested in getting back to school. This is what I was told by a representative at FAFSA .

    Johanna Hernandez: That will be determined by the school what their policies are in regards, since the school is who determines the aid.
    Johanna Hernandez: In general, to receive aid from the federal student aid programs, you must meet the following requirements:
    (1) Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen.
    (2) Have a high school diploma, General Educational Development (GED) certificate, pass an approved "ability to benefit" test, or have completed a high school education in a home school setting that is recognized as a home school or private school under state law.
    (3) Enroll in an eligible program as a regular student seeking a degree or certificate.
    (4) Be registered with Selective Service if required (in general, if you are a male age 18 through 25).
    (5) Meet satisfactory academic progress standards set by your school.
    (6) Certify that you are not in default on a federal loan or owe money on a federal grant.
    (7) Certify that you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes. And, only if you have previously received federal student aid: Certify that you were not convicted for a drug offense that occurred while you were enrolled in school and receiving federal student aid.

    ** In other words its really up to the institution if you they want to receive the aid you have applied for. So it is recommended that you contact the school of your choice be sure that they are aware of your record and if they accept you, you still have a chance to receive aid.. Just try it doesn't hurt to try...
    renzaso's Avatar
    renzaso Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 8, 2013, 08:41 PM
    I am a convicted felon in the USA. I got out in 2010. What degrees can I study for in the USA?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Business grants for disabled and convicted felon [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is a convicted felon but also is disabled. Would someone know a research direction to start?

Government grants or loans for convicted felons [ 5 Answers ]

Are there government grants or loans for convicted felons to go to school.

If your convicted of a felony, can you receive money for school? [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering if somebody that is convicted of a felony, can receive a grant or do they offer any help for people that are convicted felon's to go to school? :confused:

Loans/grants/financial assistance [ 2 Answers ]

Can I, being a felon get any form of financial assistance(loans/grants/etc.) from the government? I'm in financial dire straits, and virtually homeless, with no where to go.. I was reently terminated from my job, and being a felon, and still on probation, I get turned away from most every job that...

A convicted felon marrying another felon [ 2 Answers ]

I am a felon and my fiance' has just been picked up by the feds and we were going to get married in 2 weeks. I am wondering if I can still marry him in the federal jail. I know that the government shuns felons around other felons but, we have 3 kids together and I would think that they would allow...

View more questions Search