Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ty18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2007, 09:14 PM
    Guinea Pigs
    Hello, I am 9 yrs old and today my piggie (Lucy) had babies.
    We moved her out of the cage with the other girl piggie (haha) when I noticed that Lucy looked like a pear.
    I was going to have my mom take her to the vet today but when we woke up we called her (the vet) to bring her in. It was at this time we noticed that she had already had her babies. She had five in all but when we got to them only 2 were alive. Is this normal? Also, Lucy is over 7 months, should I be worried and what should I look for? How soon should I wait before I play with the new babies?

By the way we named them MoMo and Yankee!

Thank you for your help
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Jul 14, 2007, 02:17 AM
    As this is her first litter she has to learn what to do with the babies, she could have killed some of them unfortunately by accident by squashing them or bieng generally clumbsy and not knowing what she should do with them... keep an eye on her to make sure she is feeding the babies, I would get the vet to have a look at her anyway,
    As it is her first litter then maybe wait for 2 to 3 weeks before handling any of the babies as she may feel you are a threat to them and kill the rest of the babies..

Most guinea pigs do make good mothers.. my advice would be just keep her calm and don't mess about in the cage any more often than you have to,
    You don't say if she is indoor or outdoor but if outdoor or a bit cool in your house the chill could have killed the young pups, keep her warm and add extra bedding in her cage and she will need a lot more food from now on to keep her energy up,

Good luck with her and let us know how the pups go :D

Katie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Guinea Pigs and Mites [ 6 Answers ]

I have five guinea pigs and there is a possibility that they all have mites. I have taken one to the vet in the past for mites, back when I only had one, and they treated with Ivermectin. I want to know if there are any other things that I can do at home. I know you can purchase Revolution online,...

1 of my guinea pigs died. [ 4 Answers ]

I had two guinea pigs. One male one female. Both 3 years old. The male died today and we are considering getting another pig to keep the female company. Is this a good idea? Please help!! :(

Anyone experience young guinea pigs dying frequently? [ 7 Answers ]

A week ago, I bought a guinea pig pup. She died today. This is not the first time I bought a young guinea pig that died. I have gotten maybe 4 young guinea pig pups altogether that have died. Finally one survived and grew up (3 years old) and I was trying to find her another cagemate. I was...

Revolution topical medication for guinea pigs? [ 1 Answers ]

We have three guinea pigs. The older one is very sick and is being treated by the vet for Sarcoptic Mange (mites) and a kidney disease. The younger two show no signs of the mites and seem perfectly healthy. Obviously, they must be treated but, frankly, the shots from the vet are too expensive. ...

View more questions Search