Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HThackneyco Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2010, 09:10 AM
    401-k loan and taxes due
    If you take a hardship loan out of your 401-k and pay taxes at the time of loan, do you still get a 1099
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 29, 2010, 10:42 AM

If it's a loan, then there are no taxes due at all, and you will not receive a 1099-R. However, since you used the word "hardshp" and you mention that taxes were paid at the time of the "loan," I am assuming that this was actually a withdrawal, not a loan.

For hardship withdrawals they would have withheld 20% for income tax purposes at the time of the withdrawal. They will send you a 1099-R form to document the withdrawal. You include the amount of the withdrawal as income on your tax return on line 16 of Form 1040 ("Pensions and Annuities"). If you are under age 59-1/2, you will have to include the 10% early withdrawal penalty as an additional tax owed (on line 58, "Additional tax on IRAs, other qualified retirement plans"), and you include the amount of tax that was withheld on line 62 along with your other withholding for your pay ("Federal income tax withheld from Forms W-2 and 1099"). There are a few exceptions to the 10% penalty - if you are disabled, or used the funds for medical purpose, or made the withdrawal due to a domestic relations order, for example.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I get a 401 K loan or Home Equity loan [ 4 Answers ]

I owe about $ 25,000 on various credit cards with interest ranging from 17 % to 30 %. I am barely able to make the minimum payments. In addition, I owe $14,000 ($ 500 a month) on the car with 7 % and 3 years to go. Because I have bad credit, I was able to get one bank to offer me a Home Equity...

Personal loan against my 401 with bad credit [ 1 Answers ]

My company does not give loans on my 401K.. my current statement shows I have almost 11,000 invested... I have really bad credit and no bank or fiancé company will approve.. can I borrow against my 401 as collateral... I need a $3,000 loan and where do you recommend I go to.. been on same job for...

Re-paying 401 (k) loan [ 8 Answers ]

I am not that smart with money, here is proof: I had credit cards loans and other, so I took a loan out of my 401 (k). I am currently paying it plus the regular deposit on it. I still have twenty thousand to go in order to finish the payment on my 401 (k). I want to try another job, I know...

Taxes due on 401k loan [ 2 Answers ]

My Husband's 401k Loan Went Into Default How Can We Fiqure Out What The Federal Taxes Due On The Loan Will Be?

View more questions Search