Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TPUNCH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2009, 12:51 PM
    401k cash-out
    A fellow employee was told by company's 401K company (fidelity)

That he could not cash out his 401k period. Unless he had a hardship under their

Under their guidelines , can they do that? I want to cash mine out, totally.

I understand the taxes & penalties.

Can they refuse me?

Tim
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 18, 2009, 01:05 PM

Yes they can refuse you, if your plan does not allow withdrawals by active employees (except under the hardship rules as specified by the IRS).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cash in 401k [ 2 Answers ]

I need to cash in my 401k plan from my previous employers. How do I acces my information regarding this. Is there a web site I can go to and put in my ss# or something?

401K cash out? [ 2 Answers ]

First let me state: I know the holy grail of 401k is NEVER CASH OUT. That being said. My husband changed jobs six months ago and has an old 401K w/ a balance of 30k. (his new job is in a much more secure sector thank goodness: he is now a food broker) With the markets being so unstable and...

401k cash out [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: my husband recently left his job ,he has a 401k I called and asked about it,the woman told me we couldn't get the money until April 2006.she says the numbers come in in dec then it will still take months before we get it ,should it take that long to get it the amount he had when he left...

401K cash out [ 2 Answers ]

Could you tell me when and how much taxes I would pay if I cashed out my 401K which is $28000.00. Earnings for the year is $52000.00. Would that $28k be added to my income?

401k Cash Out [ 5 Answers ]

The company is closing, I'm over 55 and will be able to avoid the 10% penalty when the 401k plan ends. I am fully vested. Understand the state and federal tax implications. Not unemployed and not sure how long that will last. If I roll over to IRA, I can't get access to the money until at least...

View more questions Search