Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmcbay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2008, 02:34 PM
    401 K cash in.Penalty?
    My 401 K is ready for rollover. I am currently unemployed and need cash ASAP to pay mortgage, credit card debt, utilities, etc.

Can I cash it in without paying any penalties for early withdrawl? I do not plan on rolling it over. I am 58 years old and live in New Hampshire.

Thank you.
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 21, 2008, 10:46 AM
    401k "no penalty withdrawls" are permitted for the following reasons:

When separation from service occurs during or after the calendar year the participant reaches age 55

Upon reaching age 59 ½

Selecting a life expectancy distribution, regardless of age

Total disability

Upon rollover of funds.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Penalty for 401K cash-out [ 4 Answers ]

I recently cashed out a 401K. The holding company withdrew 20% for federal taxes, as well as an additional penalty. Will I be required to pay any additional taxes or penalties on this in with 2006 taxes (i.e. state income tax)? Are there any forms or paperwork I should be aware of? Thanks in...

Besides the annuity penalty does the IRS add penalty for removing money [ 1 Answers ]

I am removimg money from my 401k plan & the annuity is assessing me a 8% penalty. Is the IRS going to penalize me as well or is it just categorized as ordinary income?

401 k early withdrawal penalty - first time home purchase [ 1 Answers ]

I took out a portion of my 401k to go towards the purchase of a new home. Although this is my first purchase, I did put my name on refinance paper when my husband and I decided to refinance his home 2 years ago (he purchased before we met). Since I put my name on the refinance papers is that...

401 K Cash Out [ 1 Answers ]

I quit my job in November of 2005. I took 72000.00 out of my 401K and rolled it over into a Schwab investment account. I now have received a 1099 with the distribution marked as "G" Do I have to pay income tax on this money?

View more questions Search