Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sanjibs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2007, 10:52 AM
    401(K) query
    I have recently started a job. My company offers 401(K). My plan is to go back to India after 7-8 years or so. Is it justified for me to sign up for 401(K), given the fact that early withdrawal results penalties? Also, please let me know the extent of penalty given my situation.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 22, 2007, 10:54 AM
    >Moved to a more appropriate board<
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 22, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Here's a nice discussion on the topic of non-US citizens investing in 401(k) plans:

Retire To India: Early 401(k) withdrawals for non-citizens

Between penalties for early withdrawal and the taxes imposed by both the US and India, you may find that the cost and aggravation just aren't worth it, especially if you won't be considered a permamnet US resident (i.e. still have your green card).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is 401(k) [ 1 Answers ]

What is 401(k)? Considering a new job that offers 401(k) as a benefit. What exactly is it?

Cashing out 401-K [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm meg101364 and I want to know if I can cash out my 401-k. I am leaving a job and going to another and they do not have 401-k. I could use the money for some bills and put the rest in a IRA. Can I do this?

Looking for my 401 [ 3 Answers ]

I need help if any one has any information to share, I would greatly appreciate. I have money invested in a retirement from a job I worked at about 5+ years ago. Since I quit, the medical clinic has closed it's doors. I can not remember the name of the retirement funds that we used and would...

401 k [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a penalty for borrowing on a 401 k?

DNS Query Query. A Query about DNS Queries... [ 12 Answers ]

I am a software developer, I don’t know much about networks. I have a working network but with one weird (well to me it’s weird) problem. If you can offer any insight I’ll be very grateful! <!--- Image Attachment Below (I couldn't find a way to paste it here in the editor :-( ) ---> ...

View more questions Search