Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    connie121655 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Taxes on 401k
    I will be divorcing my husband of 27 years. It will not be finalized until April 2008. In the divorce I got a $670,000.00 settlement from his 401k. It was rolled over to a new account. I am going to pull some money out. I don't have to pay the early withdrawl penalty. My question is. When I pull the money out it will be taxed between 20-25%. Will I still have to pay taxes at the end of the year? And is spousal support considered taxable? I do not have any other income besides spousal support.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 22, 2007, 10:46 AM
    You need to consult your divorce attorney or accountant on this. If you received a payout as part of a divorce settlement, the taxes and any penalties are paid by your husband. The settlement you received is probably not tax deferred money any longer. Your divorce atty can explain to you more fully how this was handled.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 22, 2007, 01:10 PM
    I doubt that the divorce attorney knows, but the tax consultant he will use will know what to do.

Sep 22, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    I doubt that the divorce attorney knows, but the tax consultant he will use will know what to do.
    Yep, I was assuming he would be using one. But was I correct in thinking that the amount would not be tax deferred monies any longer. That the taxes and penalties would be paid by the owner of the account.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 22, 2007, 04:14 PM
    Connie was not clear whether the new account was a rollover IRA or not, but I suspect NOT. If so, the tax issues were resolved when that new account was set up. Who actually PAYS the taxes depends on how the divorce agreement is structured.

Further, the law has changed. I am not fully up on the changes, but I believe that qualified pensions CAN be transferred to someone else under a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO).
    connie121655 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 05:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    Connie was not clear whether the new account was a rollover IRA or not, but I suspect NOT. If so, the tax issues were resolved when that new account was set up. Who actually PAYS the taxes depends on how the divorce agreement is structured.

Further, the law has changed. I am not fully up on the changes, but I believe that qualified pensions CAN be transferred to someone else under a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO).

In my question it will be a QDRO. The money is tax deferred. I know I will have to pay taxes when I pull the money out of 401k. The taxes are my responsibility. My question is Will I have to pay taxes on the money at the end of the year if I have taxes held out when I take the money out of 401k. Also is spousal support considered taxable income? Thanks for your help

Sep 22, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Ok, Any taxes you owe will be based on total annual income. What will be withheld is the same as witholding from your salary. When you do your taxes, your actual tax liability is calculated and if your withholding is greater you get a refund, otherwise you have to pay. I know alimony is taxable, not sure about "spousal support".
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 25, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Spousal support is another word for alimony.

It is taxable to the recipient and tax deductible to the payor as an adjustment to income on Form 1040.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k taxes and penaltys [ 4 Answers ]

Can I withdraw money from my 401k account when I'm 59-1/2 years old without penalties

Taxes and 401K [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 401K with a balance of $100,000 that I've designated to pay off my son's college education debts. I have other investments and a fixed annuity for my own retirement. I owe $74,000 to Sallie Mae in PLUS education loans. I want to cash in the 401k and use the funds to pay off the Sallie...

401k and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, If I am enrolled in my company 401k plan do I need to account that in my taxes. I am going to file the 1040NR form and I was wondering if I need to mention the 401k amount I invested in line 31 of 1040NR i.e "IRA deduction" Thanks...

401K and taxes [ 2 Answers ]

I recently (maybe 6 months ago), signed up with my company's new 401K. Do I need any special info from this account to do my taxes this year? I have conflicting reports. My co-workers told me that I need the end of the year statement(which I misplaced). I called the company that handles our 401K...

401K to pay taxes [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a penalty for early withdraw on a 401k to pay a past tax lien?

View more questions Search