Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beamer727 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 03:26 PM
    401(k) for Debt pay-off?
    Hello,

I have a current 401(k) with a balance of approx $25,000... Well it was worth that much before today's terrible day on Wall Street! My question is this... I am in debt to the tune of $20,000 (credit cards) and living paycheck-to-paycheck. I will soon be starting a job with the Federal Government and making about $100,000 per year. When I move to the government, instead of rolling over my 401k, I want to cash it in and pay off all my debt. Then I will put 10% of me new paycheck into the government's Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) via payroll deduction. I know I will be penalized for cashing it in, but will it be worth it to pay off all that debt, allowing me to put 10k a year from my new job into the TSP? Most of my credit cards are high interest. Also, how much will I be penalized? Will it come out right away, or when I file taxes in April? If it is worth 25k, what will I get up front if I cash it in. Any advice?:confused:
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 26, 2007, 07:42 PM
    I don't know what your tax bracket is but the 401(k) distribution will be taxed as though you earned it -- if you made $100,000.00 then you will be taxed on $125,000 plus 10 percent will be withheld from the proceeds --- not knowing you tax bracket but if it's 28 % your net will be 100 % MINUS 10 percent MINUS 28 percent. If you took 20 - 23M of your anticipated gross of 100M with your new job, you could pay off the debt very quickly, avoid giving your money away in penalties plus it would continue to accumulate tax free if left either in your current plan or rolled over to some other tax sheltered plan. It's a no brainer if it were my decision.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Approach your employer about the possibility of getting a loan against the money in your 401k rather than simply withdrawing from the plan. This way, you can avoid the Internal Revenue Service's taxing penalties for accessing your account before you've reached the standard age of 59 1/2. Employers with loan programs in place will usually lend the money at an interest rate commensurate with the interest the money is earning while tied into the 401k. ;)

Talk to your 401k administrator about accessing your Summary Plan Description (SPD). Here, the terms under which you are permitted to withdraw money in your 401k account early will be laid out. Generally, you must be facing significant financial hardship to qualify for early access to your 401k money.

Withdraw only as much as you need to pay off your debt if, in fact, you do qualify to withdraw from your retirement savings plan. If you are under the age of 59 1/2, you will normally be facing a 10 percent penalty on the amount of the deduction, in addition to standard income tax rates on the amount of money you take out. While there are ways to avoid these penalties, they require you to draw the money out in annual installments, which will generally not be helpful to people looking to pay off debt month by month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paing off debt with 401-K funds? [ 5 Answers ]

I am seeking advise/opinions on the wisdom of clearing up approximately $50,000 worth of credit card and loan debt with a withdrawl from my 401-K. I am 48 years old and have approximately $300,000 in my 401-K. The economy in the recent years has zapped my income and has made it impossible to pay...

Pay off a credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I want to pay off an credit card debt. Which started at 300.00 and now is 900.00 due to my none payment and accuring interest. It has been charged off . How do I go about paying this debt but also wanting to reopen this credit card. Is this possible?

Do I have to pay this old Debt? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I received 1 bill from a neighborhood action group. 4 years after we to withdrawl from the group.We didm't use anything they offerd.Also 25 years before my husband also belonged to this club and dropped it again. 25 years later they send him a bill. Plus interest no word has been...

401(k) Distributions + CC Debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Although, I know it's generally a bad idea to do this, but hear me out. I have to 'roll over' about $28,000 from an old 401(k) into my current plan. There are disadvantages to making a bulk purchase like this (it's not dollar-averaged), but my intent was just to roll the whole thing over. However,...

View more questions Search