Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    jennyrkwll's Avatar
    jennyrkwll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 12, 2016, 12:08 PM
    Married 21 yrs in Pa husband says I must sign a paper for him to cash out his 401k
    My husband called telling me I need to sign a paper for him to get out his highmark retirement money to go on now that his unemployment ran out he turns 62 this y;r and offered me a little of it. Can he forge my name and get away with it since I wouldn't know if he went through with it or not, his girlfriend could sign it, she's posed as me from the get go anyway?
    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 12,132, Reputation: 1307

    May 12, 2016, 12:30 PM
    You are legally entitled to half of his 401(k). If you sign and he gives you just a little of it then you are effectively making a big gift to him. I suggest you protect yourself - get a lawyer!
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,681, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

    May 12, 2016, 02:33 PM
    Absolutely get an attorney. I would also put his 401K administrator on notice that you will not sign over the 401K unless you get your fair share. Let them know that if they do so, you will file a fraud case against them. BTW I believe you need to have a Notary witness any signature so if his GF does it, have her arrested for fraud, and the notary too. You could go against their liability.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,305, Reputation: 7692

    May 12, 2016, 06:42 PM
    Agree, if she signs, you can report her for fraud, sue him for your 1/2 of the money.

    You do not "have to sign" but if you do, only with an attorney to be sure you get your money.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    May 14, 2016, 05:39 AM
    '...his girlfriend could sign it, she's posed as me from the get go..'

    Good grief. So that he can collect all sorts of low income aid even though she works, perhaps?
    Once you have a lock on the 401K, turn him in.
    I'm not so sure you need to pay an attorney? Call the fund administrator right away. Have hubby send you the papers to see if the contact info is on it, or call his employer, or if it's all too hard, sure, pay a lawyer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married to an american for 14 yrs. Spent 5 yrs outside of US. [ 2 Answers ]

I am married to an American for 14 years. I had permanent status. However we have been out of the US for 5 years. I still have a social security card and on my permanent status card it expires June 2015. What do I need to do to go back to the US to live permanently. Any help would be appreciated...

My husband was married 15 yrs, wife left and now he's being sued... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. My husband was previously married 15 yrs. Had 2 children born into the marriage, 18 and 15. His ex wife left him almost 3 yrs ago. She did not even have a relationship with the kids. She took the dog but didn't hardly ever see or speak to the children. He has pics that she cheated. He was...

Arrested and asked to sign paper [ 11 Answers ]

Dear Sir/Madam I was recently arrested in SC and the arresting officer came to my house to arrest me. He did read me my rights but also began to ask many questions. I was so taken back by the accusations that I did not exercise my right o remain silent. Silly me. However the arresting officer...

Can I become emancipated, or can my mom sign this paper? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 16 and pregnant. I live in Georgia. Can I become emancipated? How could I become emancipated?

View more questions Search