Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    jemcutetr's Avatar
    jemcutetr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 22, 2008, 11:24 PM
    Disabled 401k
    Ok I am 40 years of age and worked 12 years for the same company and got hurt on the job. I had to have a disc replacement and now disabled and applying for SS. I have a 401k with the company but I, see you get a early withdraw penalty. So should I try and with draw it myself or should I get a tax person to help me with it because I read that the penalty can be waived for some one who is disabled? Any info would be greatly appreciated...
    xphelper's Avatar
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29
    Full Member

    Feb 23, 2008, 08:14 AM
    A disability waiver (of the 10% penalty) is possible but check with the custodian of your 401k and the IRS before making any assumptions on your own. If I remember correctly, the IRS requires one to be "totally disabled" for the 10% penalty to be waived. There are also other possibilities, such as setting up a 72t arrangement, which permits consistent annual withdrawals, based on your life expectancy. If this sounds interesting, you can ask the experts here: Welcome to 72t on the Net
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,304, Reputation: 7692

    Feb 23, 2008, 09:34 AM
    What about your workers comp benefits from the injury?
    ebaines's Avatar
    ebaines Posts: 12,132, Reputation: 1307

    Feb 26, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xphelper
    If I remember correctly, the IRS requires one to be "totally disabled" for the 10% penalty to be waived.
    You are allowed to make a withdrawal from your 401(k) without penalty if you are totally and permanently disabled. The IRS defines that as: [he or she] cannot engage in any substantial gainful activity because of a physical or mental condition, and a physician determines that the condition has lasted or can be expected to last at least a year or can lead to death

    Call your 401(k) administrator and ask what the procedure is to make a withdrawal. Make sure they know that you are totally and permanently disabled. That way when they send you a 1099-R form at the end of the year they should include distribution reason code 3 on the form, which tells the IRS that you do not owe a penalty.

    Of course, you will still owe regular income tax on any distribution.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I claim tax refund on 401K distribution by 60 year old disabled person [ 3 Answers ]

At the age of sixty, and on SSD, I asked for 401K distribution. 20% was withheld. Do I file standard 1040 to get refund? I read somewhere that I should not owe this tax because of disability. I read the tax form 5329, and it does not seem to be for me. Help! Bipity123

Disabled parent [ 8 Answers ]

If a man has been on ssi in n.j. all of his adult life due to nuerological impairment,learning disorders,adhd and conduct disorder can he be ordered to pay child support or be ordered to get a job?academic skills are at the 2nd to 4th grade levels.

Can I get a grant if I am disabled [ 6 Answers ]

Can I get a grant if I am disabled money to help me for bills

Disabled needs financing [ 2 Answers ]

Any suggestions on how a disabled (3 yrs since car accident) person can find funding for web start up business (actually 11 true sites) some unique retail, a national site every city needs and is NOT on web currenty, unique money maker for the RV crowd. Bottom Line I am on disability after 25...

Welcome screen disabled [ 1 Answers ]

I am unable to switch users. I am using windows XP professional OS. The user switch option Is disabled in the start menu. I am getting the following message "Client service for net work has disabled the welcome screen. To restore these facilities you must uninstall client services for...

View more questions Search