Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    hisgirlfriday's Avatar
    hisgirlfriday Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 9, 2014, 04:48 AM
    Declining Employer Contributions
    I currently have a Simple IRA acct and a non-prototype 401k plan both of which are funded only by employer contributions. I've not made any employee contributions nor have I ever taken a withdrawal. I've never been married and am over 25 years away from retirement. I live in Illinois. In the next few weeks, I will be leaving my current employer and I don't want these assets to follow me. I don't want to assume ownership of these assets nor do I want these assets associated with me. How can I legally decline these assets so they're returned to my employer in full? Is there an IRS form or some kind of protocol for officially doing this? I am absolutely 100% certain this is what I want to do and I want to do it "legally and officially". I realize this may sound like an odd request but I've my reasons. Any advice?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,305, Reputation: 7692

    Oct 9, 2014, 04:08 PM
    If you are vested and the funds are yours, no, they are yours and remain yours.
    If you just leave them, depending on the interest rate and depending on the annual fees, the money may be gone over years of fees I no additional money put in, Depending on the sum of money involved.

    Also, if this would be an issue of someone else having a claim, and they are entinted to part of this money, if you did, find a way to just give it away, you could still be liable for it, under some fraud statues.

    As a note, you take the money and donate it, then it is gone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is China Declining? [ 0 Answers ]

The Chinese manufacturing sector started going into decline this summer, and it got even worse in December, do you think China is in decline?

How much can total funds go into one's 401k after employer contributions? [ 12 Answers ]

This is regarding to the contributions for the people under 50. Assuming Employer-matched contributions is 50 cents for every dollar contributed, up to a maximum of 6% of pay. Will the maximum funds 16,500 plus 6% of 16,500 (17,490) going into one's 401k account in 2011?

Non deductible employer pension contributions [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I lived and worked in another country for some years and just realized that I should have been reporting my employer pension contributions as income. I need to amend these returns to show this income, but where do I put it? Do I lump it in with my wages? How do I show where it came from so I am...

Employer making contributions to your 401k [ 1 Answers ]

Has any one heard of this? Had about 29,000 in my profit sharing acct. was fully vested after 8 years. Then employer (as his practice grew, employees & patients ) he rolled over all monies into a 401k acct. employer would match your contributions up to 6%, but, ONLY if you let him invest monies,...

401K Contributions by employer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. My employer (brother) is not contributing my 401k deductions from my check to my 401k plan. I had talked to his accountant, his 401k administrator at work, the 401k Provider (Principal, Horrible customer service on their part), everybody is giving me the run around. Who legally should I...

View more questions Search