Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kashew123's Avatar
    kashew123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #1

    Oct 5, 2015, 04:11 PM
    Resume builder and job seeker
    I've been out or work for a year at the end of this month. During that year, I've applied to countless jobs. I've even put in volunteer applications at my local hospitals of which one has almost finished my application. I've also studied for my GREs so that I can go back for my Masters. I recently had an interview and he hiring manager gave my feedback on what to add to my resume to make it stand out better. I've done one of the two things. The question I have is.. How do I put all this into my resume without lying?


    Please advise..! Thanks!


    Sincerely,


    Hopeful career seeker!
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,794, Reputation: 5427
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #2

    Oct 5, 2015, 04:27 PM
    Do you have a functional or skills-based resume, showing off how you can save money and make money for a company?
    kashew123's Avatar
    kashew123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #3

    Oct 5, 2015, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Do you have a functional or skills-based resume, showing off how you can save money and make money for a company?

    Yes, my resume has all of that and more. I owned my own business for 9 years and even showed how much of a profit I made...
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,794, Reputation: 5427
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #4

    Oct 5, 2015, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kashew123 View Post
    Yes, my resume has all of that and more. I owned my own business for 9 years and even showed how much of a profit I made...
    Have you sent your resume "cold"?
    kashew123's Avatar
    kashew123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #5

    Oct 5, 2015, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Have you sent your resume "cold"?

    "cold"? Sorry, I didn't understand that.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,794, Reputation: 5427
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #6

    Oct 5, 2015, 04:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kashew123 View Post
    "cold"? Sorry, I didn't understand that.
    Research and list companies you want to work for and send them a resume. There's no job opening that you know of.
    kashew123's Avatar
    kashew123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #7

    Oct 5, 2015, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Research and list companies you want to work for and send them a resume. There's no job opening that you know of.
    No, I've done all that. The main reason I haven't been getting anything is because of experience. After owning my own business, either I'm over qualified or under qualified because of the lack of healthcare experience.

    My background is in healthcare administration. That's where I'm lacking the experience. So, Im hoping the adding the two things that my last interviewer told me would help. The only thing I'm confused about is how do I put volunteer applications or the entire process as well as studying for my GREs on my resume if I haven't gotten the responses and haven't gotten accepted to the school yet on my resume.
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 37,794, Reputation: 5427
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #8

    Oct 5, 2015, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kashew123 View Post
    No, I've done all that. The main reason I haven't been getting anything is because of experience. After owning my own business, either I'm over qualified or under qualified because of the lack of healthcare experience.

    My background is in healthcare administration. That's where I'm lacking the experience. So, Im hoping the adding the two things that my last interviewer told me would help. The only thing I'm confused about is how do I put volunteer applications or the entire process as well as studying for my GREs on my resume if I haven't gotten the responses and haven't gotten accepted to the school yet on my resume.
    Are you sending resumes only to health-care places? If so, such as?

    You can certainly add grad school to your resume, as long as it is a sure thing.

    And if I were you, I'd job-hunt for more than health-care type jobs.
    Craftresumes's Avatar
    Craftresumes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #9

    Oct 8, 2015, 02:12 AM
    First of all you should nowhere mention about your preparation for any entrance exam for higher studies anywhere in your resume or an interview. This will reflect to the interviewer that you are confused between higher studies and job. Secondly you should try not to lie about anything in your resume just to clear an interview. Just add what you have done and leave the rest.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,292, Reputation: 7691
    Expert
     
    #10

    Oct 8, 2015, 03:15 AM
    I agree, that you do not put on a resume that you plan on getting more education. If they see you plan on more education, they may feel you would not be dedicated to their position, or merely will leave after you get more education. The non profit or volunteer positions do not have to be shown as volunteer, you merely show them as experience.

    Also no one cares how much money you made at your own business, what you want to show is what training, what skills that you got from that.

    Also many jobs are gotten though "who you know" and also in some field, placement agencies (headhunters)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search


Check out some similar questions!

Java,j2ee resume builder [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have a project on resume builder.which gets details from the user and the details should generate a resume in the format. Help... Thanks...

Older job seeker - should I mention I am a member of mensa on applications? [ 21 Answers ]

I am in my 60s and live in California, looking for another job. I was wondering if I should mention that I am a member of the Mensa organization. I guess really I am looking for the pros and cons from an employer stand point. Thanks.

Misdemeanor charges in California effects on background check for a job seeker [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was arrested in nov 09 for petty theft for $80 in a children's clothing store. I was wrongful accused. Actully it was a big misunder standing. I have hired a lawyer and paid him about $2000 and he is fighting for me. I had an interview for a preschool position and my reference check went very...


View more questions Search