Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fancyT Posts: 8, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 9, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Crap. Looks like we're back to not existing again. :eek:

Ugh, I hate those terms. They make no freekin sense.

"Strong Atheist," or "Positive Atheist," or "Hard Atheist" to refer to a person who asserts that no deity exists.
    "Weak Atheist," "Negative Atheist," "Soft Atheist," "Skeptical Atheist" to refer to a person who simply has no belief in a deity because there are no rational grounds that support his/her/their existence.
    Definitions of the term "Atheism"

Maybe I fail at reading comprehension, but I think those are the same thing...

Here's the best definition of "atheist" I've found so far:

Etymology: Atheist originated in two Greek roots: "A" which means "without" or "not"
    "Theos" which means "deity"

This would seem to imply that an Atheist is either:

A person who is without a belief in any deity. This definition would mainly include those who are simply unaware of the existence of any deity. It would also include a person who is either too young or who lacks the mental ability to conceive of a deity. In contrast to this, most Muslims believe that all babies are Muslim at birth, and only later in life may accept the teachings of another religion].
    A person who totally rejects the existence of any deity. Some may keep this belief to themselves; others may assert this belief to others.
    Definitions of the term "Atheism"

The absence of belief is what (I think) a lot of theists have trouble with. The belief simply isn't there. For someone of faith, it's hard (I think) to imagine having no faith. The debates and battles over if someone can actually be an atheist comes in when we start to debate semantics and the definition of the word "belief". Then people throw in the word "faith" and there are, of course, different definitions of that word as well (perhaps I should say connotations dependent on context...). Either way, it's an old argument that's been had on this very site several times....
    I don't think anyone is confused to what an atheist is, we all know. The "absence of a belief" in a possibility of a god, is a "Belief". The fact that you choose to believe there is no god despite your inability to prove it, makes it a "faith" because it is not a scientific fact.

So I am not saying Atheist don't exist, I am just saying technically people who call themselves atheist don't know for a fact that there is no god which technically makes them Agnostic.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fancyT
    The fact that you choose to believe there is no god despite your inability to prove it, makes it a "faith" because it is not a scientific fact.
    See.. there it is. "Choose to believe". I didn't "choose" to not believe, I just don't. Never have. But it STILL isn't on me to prove there ISN'T a god, it's on YOU to prove there IS one.

So I am not saying Atheist don't exist, I am just saying technically people who call themselves atheist don't know for a fact that there is no god which technically makes them Agnostic.
    Which is the same as saying they don't exist - there is no such thing as an atheist, only agnostics. But whatever. Call me whatever you want, I know what/who I am.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jan 9, 2008, 08:49 PM
    [QUOTE=parttime]
    Quote Originally Posted by Galveston1
    To say that the founders of this country were Deists can be disproved by an honest study of history.

Hey #1, I'm really intersested in this statement, maybe you could start a new thread and post something from history that show this, I can't find much in the way of writings by the founders that even mention God or religion. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
    No mention of God? Have you ever read the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution?
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jan 9, 2008, 08:59 PM
    It takes a heckuva lot more "faith" to believe in evolution as the origin of anything than to believe in a Creator. No matter how far back into the past you take it, nothing acting on nothing still produces nothing. You say the Sun acting on some primeval soup produced life? Where did the Sun and the soup come from? Big bang? Where did the energy come from? Where there is nothing, how can energy originate? Explain the ant. The workers have all the good traits, the parents have none. Explain the woodpecker. He has a special bone structure supporting his brain. Without it he would pulverize his brain. He didn't need that special structure until he started drilling wood, which he couldn't do. Are you by chance confusing evolution with mutation? The complexity of DNA is merely a product of chance? What faith!
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 09:04 PM
    The fact that you choose to believe there is no god dispite your inability to prove it, makes it a "faith" because it is not a scientific fact.
    Okay. So do you, Fancy, "choose" to not believe in the Tooth Fairy? And do you feel that your choice is a Belief with a capital B comparable to your belief in God? This is a serious question.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Jan 9, 2008, 09:14 PM
    It takes a heckuva lot more "faith" to believe in evolution as the origin of anything than to believe in a Creator. No matter how far back into the past you take it, nothing acting on nothing still produces nothing. You say the Sun acting on some primeval soup produced life? Where did the Sun and the soup come from? Big bang? where did the energy come from? Where there is nothing, how can energy originate? Explain the ant. The workers have all the good traits, the parents have none. Explain the woodpecker. He has a special bone structure supporting his brain. Without it he would pulverize his brain. He didn't need that special structure until he started drilling wood, which he couldn't do. Are you by chance confusing evolution with mutation? The complexity of DNA is merely a product of chance? What faith!!
    Who created the creator?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 03:29 AM
    It takes a heckuva lot more "faith" to believe in evolution as the origin of anything than to believe in a Creator.
    Actually it takes a good education.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 06:18 AM
    [QUOTE=Galveston1]
    Quote Originally Posted by parttime

No mention of God? Have you ever read the Preamble to the U.S. Constitution?

Sorry Galveston1, I didn't mean "no", I meant very little mention of God in any of the writings of out founding fathers. I've been looking, and since you said a study of our history would show, I thought you might have some useful info. Thanks
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 10:07 AM
    See.. there it is. "Choose to believe". I didn't "choose" to not believe, I just don't. Never have. But it STILL isn't on me to prove there ISN'T a god, it's on YOU to prove there IS one.
    Okey let me give you an example, I can say I don't believe there is gold in NewZealand without ever visiting the country or ever knowing for a fact that there isn't. I can say I have an absence of belief there is gold there without ever making an attempt to prove it. My statement then that there is no gold in Newzealand is merely a "belief" because it is not based on fact, so I can live my life believing there is no gold in NewZealand but that does not necessary mean there isn't, its just I don't believe. Because my disbelief is not base on scientific fact or any actuall geological knowledge, make it a "faith"

Which is the same as saying they don't exist - there is no such thing as an atheist, only agnostics. But whatever. Call me whatever you want, I know what/who I am
    Atheist do exist in the sense that there are people who call themselves athiests because they believe there is no god despite not having the ablity to know it for a fact. To know for a fact that there is no god you have to have absolute knowledge and we as humans (considering all the knowledge there is to know in the entire universe) do not even possess a fraction of a percentage of all the knowledge there is to know. So for the sake of argument lets make a huge exaggeration and say an atheist knows 1% of all knowledge. If this person is honest, they would have to admit that the other 99% of knowledge that they didn't possess could have the evidence that proves existence of a god. So as you can see from this very simple example, it is impossible to absolutely state that there is no God. If you however choose to state there is not god, it is a declaration made by faith not fact.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 10:12 AM
    fancyT,
    Define it how you will to make yourself happy. It really doesn't matter much does it? Those who are atheists go on doing their thing and you go on doing yours.

Have a great day! :)
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking
    Okay. So do you, Fancy, "choose" to not believe in the Tooth Fairy? And do you feel that your choice is a Belief with a capital B comparable to your belief in God? This is a serious question.
    Good question.. I do choose not to believe in the tooth fairy because I later found out that my mother is the one who put money under my pillow and not the tooth fairy, so I know for a fact that my mother was behind the whole tooth fairy thing and that is why I can say with confidence I don't believe in the tooth fairy.
    I do however choose to believe in God because of the personal encounters I have had with him that let me know he exists, he also (to me) the only valid explanation of the origin of this world and universe.
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    fancyT,
    Define it how you will to make yourself happy. It really doesn't matter much does it? Those who are atheists go on doing their thing and you go on doing yours.

Have a great day! :)
    Yes, athiests can do their thing that's fine I have no problem with that. I just wanted to point out that an athiest's "absense of beliefe" is a "Belief" or "faith" if you like because it is not base on scientific fact. Or proof.

Have great day too :)
    Thanks
    douapuncte Posts: 31, Reputation: -6

Jan 10, 2008, 10:56 AM
    Atheists like myself are,in my opinion,normal people whom don't hide behind a god or things like that.Let's face it,modern day religions like catholic or ortodoxism,they're like big corporations,take money for something.I do not feel the need to be part of an organization,it's crazy.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 11:02 AM
    I do however choose to believe in God because of the personal encounters i have had with him that let me know he exists, he also (to me) the only valid explanation of the origin of this world and universe.
    Hello again, Fancy:

Another thing about you religious zealots that you don't get. You think the world is as gullible as you. You think I believe something just on faith... You do that, so you think I do too.

I'll ignore the insult and try to explain some stuff to you. I know you won't get it, but give it a shot.

I'm a skeptic. I'm NOT a believer. I don't believe in ANYTHING. I certainly don't believe things because people tell me to. If someone told me that it's raining, I'd say PROVE IT. If someone said you'll go to jail for smoking pot, I'd say prove it (they did). If someone told me I'd get burned if I stuck my finger in the fire, I'd give it a shot. If someone told me that white was the all the colors instead of the absence of color, I'da said prove it.

Finally, if you'da told me that we come from apes, I'da said prove it. Then science proceeded to do just that.

Now, here's the thing about science you don't get. Darwin had this strange idea too – really bonkers - and he said PROVE IT too. But, there wasn't anybody there except himself, so he set about PROVING IT to himself.

Not only did he PROVE IT, but it's been proven, time and time again, by countless scientists, and countless researchers all across the world, across many scientific disciplines, ALL through the ages since Darwin. Every one of them shouted: PROVE IT. And so they did, and so they continue to do so.

Now, I don't mean PROOF, like YOU think proof is. You think proof is some voices you heard in the night. Scientists do MORE than just sit down and agree with each other, too. Nope, PROOF, is scientifically derived through EXPIRIMENTATION - rigorous experimentation. Do you know what that entails?

Therefore, given that scientific PROOF isn't faith, I'm going to go with PROOF. You can have faith.

excon
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 11:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by douapuncte
    atheists like my self are,in my opinion,normal people whom don't hide behind a god or things like that.Let's face it,modern day religions like catholic or ortodoxism,they're like big corporations,take money for something.I do not feel the need to be part of an organization,it's crazy.

You are right, you don't have to be part of an organisation but by claiming you are an atheist automatically makes you part of a belief system or faith.
    douapuncte Posts: 31, Reputation: -6

Jan 10, 2008, 11:12 AM
    You are right, you dont have to be part of an organisation but by claiming you are an athiest automatically makes you part of a belief system or faith.
    This is like 1:you believe in a god,goddess
    2:you are an atheist.
    That's it!Of course everyone has his own way to see the world,that's normal.I know what I want but that doesn't makes me religious.ATHEIST=non believer.Believers hide behind god,I hide behind logic and big brains.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Good question.. I do choose not to believe in the tooth fairy due to the fact that i later found out that my mother is the one who put money under my pillow and not the tooth fairy, so i know for a fact that my mother was behind the whole tooth fairy thing and that is why i can say with confidence i dont believe in the tooth fairy.
    I do however choose to believe in God because of the personal encounters i have had with him that let me know he exists, he also (to me) the only valid explanation of the origin of this world and universe.
    Good. I like your answer, too. It's totally reasonable and of course the same thing happened to me. But I have never had any personal encounters with God and my feelings about God are identical to yours about the tooth fairy. You can't actually prove the tooth fairy doesn't exist, but it seems like a reasonable conclusion based on your life experiences. I feel the same about God.

So try this. Suppose I told you that you would be tortured (go to hell) if you didn't decide to believe (right now) that you can walk on the ceiling. Do you believe? No? Not yet? Do you think you could manage to believe by Monday?

When you say that I (a person who lives without praying to or feeling the presence of any sort of God) could choose to believe in God if I wanted to, it makes me nervous. I HAVE tried to do exactly what you are saying should be possible--"decide to believe in God." -- and I couldn't do it. When I was 7 or 8 my friends told me I would go to Hell if I didn't believe. So I would sit on my bed for half an hour at a time, trying very hard to believe in God. I was motivated because I was terrified that I would die and go to Hell before I managed to believe in God. I tried and tried to believe, but I just couldn't. I remember scrunching up my face with effort (I felt a bit ridiculous). I did this repeatedly over a period of several weeks or months, anxiously trying to believe. I was totally sincere. And I totally failed. I finally decided that since I couldn't make myself believe in God, I would try to not believe in Hell (which I did believe in for some reason). I still worried, but I felt a little less frightened.

I don't agree that such beliefs are a matter of choice to people who haven't been indoctrinated early in life to accept them as reasonable. If someone told me I had to believe I could walk on the ceiling or be tortured, I'd "know" my choices would either to fall on my head or be tortured. I wouldn't be able to force myself to believe. For me, the idea of walking on the ceiling and god are identically contrary to everything I've ever experienced and learned.

I'm pursuing this, because I think the idea that all atheists secretely believe in God and are just somehow hostile to believers and trying to undermine THEIR belief is a destructive (evil) idea that leads to hatred towards me (personally and sometimes scarily) and other atheists. I think most of us just want to be left alone and many of us do not have any choice about belief in God. I'm not saying I want to believe now. But I'm long past having a choice about it, and I am hoping you can hear that and entertain the idea that at least in some cases, you might be mistaken about this one point.
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 12:08 PM
    [QUOTE=excon]
    Hello again, Fancy:

Another thing about you religious zealots that you don't get. You think the world is as gullible as you. You think I believe something just on faith... You do that, so you think I do too.
    Like I keep saying how do you know for a 100% fact that there is no god? For you to prove that to me would be imposible because you would have to have 100% absolute knowledge of what is beyond this world beyond this galaxy beyond human knowledge. If we exaggerate and say you know 1% of ALL knowledge, then you have to admit that the other 99% of knowledge you don't possess may have evidence of the existence of a god? Given that you don't have absolute knowledge but you still proclaim there is no god shows that you have "faith" that there is no god because you proclamation is not based on any scientific proof or fact.

I'll ignore the insult and try to explain some stuff to you. I know you won't get it, but give it a shot.
    Sorry to insult you but it is truth sorry

I’m a skeptic. I'm NOT a believer. I don't believe in ANYTHING. I certainly don't believe things because people tell me to.
    You obviously believe in evolution and someone told you about it and you believed it so you are a believer in something you were told by someone, Darwin to be precise.

If someone told me that it's raining, I'd say PROVE IT. If someone said you'll go to jail for smoking pot, I'd say prove it (they did). If someone told me I’d get burned if I stuck my finger in the fire, I’d give it a shot. If someone told me that white was the all the colors instead of the absence of color, I'da said prove it.
    Okey so if you are proof kind of guy then prove to me there is no god. Then I will believe you.

Finally, if you'da told me that we come from apes, I'da said prove it. Then science proceeded to do just that.
    Just as an FYI evolution is "theory" not a fact. Definition of theory look it up your self: An assumption based on limited information or knowledge; a conjecture. Conjecture is an Inference or judgment based on inconclusive or incomplete evidence; guesswork.

Now, here's the thing about science you don't get. Darwin had this strange idea too – really bonkers - and he said PROVE IT too. But, there wasn't anybody there except himself, so he set about PROVING IT to himself.
    You call evolution science? It is just a bunch of guess work dressed up in Science clothes. Science means "to know" and "systematized knowledge derived from observation, study, etc." It is based on observation and experimentation. Evolutionists don't "know" anything about man's origins. They guess, suppose, etc. but they don't "know."
    Honest scientists have become weary and embarrassed at the confusing, convoluted and contradictory claptrap that often passes as science. World famous scientist, G. G. Simpson stated, "It is inherent in any definition of science that statements that cannot be checked by observation are not about anything...or at the very best, they are not science." Many secular non religious scientists don't buy into that theory because its bougus. Microevolution is a proven fact and Macro evolution(the one you believe in) is not a proven fact therefore Evolution is a Faith because it is not a scientific Fact.

Not only did he PROVE IT, but it's been proven, time and time again, by countless scientists, and countless researchers all across the world, across many scientific disciplines, ALL through the ages since Darwin. Every one of them shouted: PROVE IT. And so they did, and so they continue to do so.
    Sorry to disappoint you but Darwin himself toward the end of his life started to doubt his own theory. As much as you can say its been "proven" it has been disproven time and time again. There is no proof that one spicies can become another. Like a bat can never become an elephant.

Now, I don't mean PROOF, like YOU think proof is. You think proof is some voices you heard in the night. Scientists do MORE than just sit down and agree with each other. Nope, PROOF, is scientifically derived through EXPIRIMENTATION - rigorous experimentation. Do you know what that entails?
    Yeah, rigorous experimentation base on one assumption over another, base on imagination, and missing transitional fossil records. They come up with an entire animal, shape, skin, color etc based on one tooth. And you call that science?

Therefore, given that scientific PROOF isn't faith, I'm going to go with PROOF. You can have faith.
    You are right scientific proof is not faith and since Macro evolution has not been scientifically proven it is a faith.
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2008, 12:14 PM
    you obviously believe in evolution and someone told you about it and you believed it so you are a believer in something you were told by someone,
    Well that just makes no sense logically does it? By your reasoning: if someone told me a TV show is on at 8 p.m. and I believe them then I'm a believer. :D
    You seem to have a strong need to make sure that everyone is labeled as a 'believer' or as having some form of 'faith'. The problem here is not with us but with yourself - you can't come to terms that many people are not like you, that many people live their lives just fine (and better than many "believers") with a belief in a god.
    -

Jan 10, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by douapuncte
    This is like 1:you believe in a god,goddess
    2:you are an atheist.
    That's it!Of course everyone has his own way to see the world,that's normal.I know what I want but that doesn't makes me religious.ATHEIST=non believer.Believers hide behind god,I hide behind logic and big brains.
    I dissagree I there are two kinds of people
    1) those who believe there is a god
    2) those who don't know there is a god.

Those who proclaim there is no god are making a claim based on faith not fact therefor they are egnostic because they don't know for a fact that there is no god

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Atheist and the Bear [ 3 Answers ]

=: The Atheist and the Bear := An atheist was walking through the woods. "What majestic trees! What powerful rivers! What beautiful animals!" he said to himself. As he was walking alongside the river, he heard a rustling in the bushes behind him. He turned and saw a 7-foot grizzly ...

Innovative Clubs and Organizations [ 2 Answers ]

Hello fellow internet-ers, I am quite new to this website, however, I have a pending question. I am interested in getting involved in a club pertaining to the arts, leisure, etc. I'm wondering if there are any specific organizations that would stand out on a college application, as I am planning...

My best friend in the whole world is atheist. [ 29 Answers ]

Omg I'm in complete shock. Me and my best friend ever are brothers (might as well be). And I moved away and we both have had hard times since then. And we are depressed. I was just told by his girlfriend that he is aitheist. I don't know what do to really. I can't believe it. I mean we are...

View more questions Search