Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gregor74 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2012, 03:39 PM
    My wife
    My wife of 25 years has dementia. During our discussions she has admitted having 5 affairs. One lasted for over 20 years. She said a condom was never used by any of them at any time. I now wonder if I am the father of my 3 sons. Should I say anything? Should I find out for sure?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
    If she is suffering from dementia, could the five affairs be fantasy, just in her mind?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2012, 03:47 PM
    My neighbor's wife had dementia and still lived at home. Every time he went to the grocery store or went out for some reason, she'd call the police to report their car stolen and her husband kidnapped.

I used to stay with a friend's mom so the family could go out together shopping or for dinner. The mom had dementia and believed she was being held hostage there and then would go to the window to check if her rescuers had arrived yet. I had to guard the doors and keep her occupied, of course, so she didn't run away.

I'm thinking don't believe everything she says.

Sep 18, 2012, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    If she is suffering from dementia, could the five affairs be fantasy, just in her mind?
    I wish. It did occur to me. That's one reason I bring it back up. Each time she reveals more details and another name. I know 3 of them, friends of mine, and one was her boss who broke up with her when she got pregnant.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2012, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gregor74 View Post
    I wish. It did occur to me. That's one reason i bring it back up. Each time she reveals more details and another name. I know 3 of them, friends of mine, and one was her boss who broke up with her when she got pregnant.
    Be very careful. She may be lost in a fog and in a fantasy world.

Did she like to read romance fiction in the past?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 18, 2012, 04:07 PM
    Those names she would know well, could remember even when she is lost in dementia, and they would come quickly to mind. Also, I've known dementia patients to "enjoy" shocking others with wild and bizarre tales and comments. This may be the case with her.

Sep 18, 2012, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Be very careful. She may be lost in a fog and in a fantasy world.

Did she like to read romance fiction in the past?
    . Well. She read mostly fantasy books esp. Vampire and lord of the ring type. I should mention she is only in her fifties and her dementia is not typical, if there is a typical. Her memory is good. The doctors say it may be FLD? We are still getting a lot of test to get a firm diagnosis
    bigNavySeal Posts: 106, Reputation: 19

Sep 18, 2012, 09:13 PM
    Sorry, but Wondergirls examples really cracked me up. I only have one experience of dementia and that is with my passed grandma (92 yrs old!) who lived in with us during her last few years.

She would wander through the house and kept on asking where her husband was (who was long gone, 15 years ago at the time), and my mom'd say he was out shopping.

Also, sometimes when she saw me she'd be hugely surprised and exclaim: "Who are you?! Virginie (my moms name), you have children?!!!!" and get all nasty on me. Out of the blue! Mind you she was an amazing grandma.

I think Wondergirl gave you some good suggestions and I too would very much doubt she had any of those affairs. Affairs don't last for 20 years anyway (at least not mainstream). Next time you know it she'll admit she had 10 affairs, with at least 1 on each continent...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 18, 2012, 09:32 PM
    The frontal/temporal lobes are responsible for a lot of our learned restraint and inhibition, for knowing what is appropriate for the occasion, like not wearing a bathing suit to church or having sex in the town square. I too think she is confusing fantasy with reality, and I too think she will probably get even more fanciful in the future. You may need to keep an eye on her actions. And I don't think I would bother with DNA testing of you and your children, although it's cheap enough these days if it will make you feel better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mrs wife being sued for child support by ex-wife of my deceased husband [ 5 Answers ]

Am I legally responsible for my late husbands child support? The ex-wife and custodial parent is now collecting social security for the minor children. There is no estate equity, only personal belongings. There was no life insurance in place, only a retirement policy, which she was awarded half of...

A doctor wife and a book writter husband moves in with the husbans mother and the wife [ 0 Answers ]

Book writter husband moves in with the husbans mother. The wife who is bored sexually has some fun with the mother and her famous band playing boyfriend.

Married man cheated on wife, with me, divorcing wife but has stopped communcating? [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I had been doing well, but he suddenly left town.. said the pressure was too much. He left and was gone for 15 days to be found in Cali. He came home found me and told me he was in a bar in Cali and something told him to come home to me. And he did. After hours of talking he...

H1B with H4 Wife and Citizen Son; how to file ITIN for Wife currently abroad. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I filed my return as single for 2007 as my wife joined me in late December 07. In 08 we had baby and whole year my wife was here, she is abroad for a while with baby and will be back only after may. I don't have ITIN for her; have social for my son though. How do I get ITIN because they ask...

View more questions Search