Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karmalcorn67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 06:54 AM
    Should I respond?
    My ex boyfriend emailed me after a year and a half of having no contact. We broke up three years ago, but still had some type of contact up until a year and a half ago when he starting dating, and ultimately moved in with someoene. They have since broken up, (about three months now which I have heard through the grapevine.)This month, I received an e-mail from him... All he said was Hi... I have been torn between responding and not responding. I had a very difficult time with the break up as it was initiated by him and I went through a lot and it took me almost three years to get my life back together as we lived together for five years.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Jan 31, 2012, 11:46 AM
    Honestly, I think you've already answered your own question. You had a hard time with the breakup once. Do you really want to go through that again? It's been five years, so I doubt this is a valid "Let's be friends" offer. More likely he's taking a stroll down Memory Lane and reaching out to see if he can still touch you. I'd let it just slide on by.
    pandead Posts: 280, Reputation: 228

Jan 31, 2012, 03:58 PM
    I know it won't mean much to you because you will answer if you want to, but I'd say DON'T. Don't do it, not only because he broke your heart after 5 years, moved in with someone and only contacted you when they broke up, but because his message says "Hi..." - which, to me, means "... is there any chance you can make me feel better about myself in a way or another" or "you were nice to me, I want someone to be nice to me until I don't want them anymore, would you do that for me" or most likely, "what can you do for me?"

After 5 years, a year and a half of no contact and a relationship with someone else, if someone sends me a message saying "Hi..." and this only, he is not getting any answer back, not because I'm still hurting, but I know how much he can hurt me again, I know he probably won't apologize or understand what he did wrong; it means more trouble, disappointment leading to more pain and heartbreak. Come on, it took you 3 years to get your life back together and you are ready to destroy everything for a "Hi..."?

I say do not reset the No Contact counter ;)
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Jan 31, 2012, 07:05 PM
    No.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 31, 2012, 09:52 PM
    I wouldn't respond, after all this time, I smell rebound, him needing a friendly place to feel comfortable. Old feelings rushing back and making you both stupid. Naw no response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I respond to my ex? [ 15 Answers ]

My ex girlfriend dumped me abruptly as we were about to move forward with our relationship and went back to her ex. I pretty much started no contact right away and told her she could contact me someday if she got herself together. About two months later, she wrote me stating how sorry she is she...

Do I respond to her? [ 45 Answers ]

Hey all, You've probably heard it all before, just want a little advice. I've been with my girlfriend for about a year and a half now. About 2 months ago, we became long distance (and hour and a half drive). She's been really busy with school, and it's been hard for her to fit time in...

I don't know how to respond. [ 1 Answers ]

I have been served a summons to give an answer to complaint from a lawyer who is representing a credit collector. I already sent a letter asking for validation. Do I need to file anything with the court? I have not heard reply from creditor for request of validation. However, it has only been a...

Does he like me? Respond [ 3 Answers ]

OK,I like this guy he is a identical twin he is nearly 16 and I am 14.He plays tennis with my x crush and his bro. ( yes he is single! ) OK,I went to a sleepover with my mates and got a little typsy and decided to ring him and leave him a miss call, he foned me so text back " who r u? y do u...

View more questions Search