Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsacid Posts: 40, Reputation: 5

Dec 16, 2011, 08:04 AM
    Court settlement
    Hello, I received a mediated settlement of $46000.00. The claim was non-specific physical damages. Stress from the incident and damage to reputation. How much will I have to pay in taxes on that amount and is there any way I can divert some of that to lessen the amount I have to pay in taxes.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 08:24 AM
    This is fully taxable as ordinary income. Awards for damage to property (is that what you meant by "physical damage?"), stress, and damage to reputation are taxable. The only settlements that are not taxable are those specifically for physical injury or sickness, including compensatory damages. Stress ("emotional distress") is not considered sickness and so is taxable, although awards for medical care expenses related to distress is tax free.

Attorney's fees can be deducted using the percentage of the award that's taxable - for example if 70% of the award is taxable you can deduct 70% of the attorney's fees.
    rsacid Posts: 40, Reputation: 5

Dec 16, 2011, 08:36 AM
    It was a combined settlement, damage to reputation and stress causing physical damages, high blood pressure. But I think the award stated non-physical damages. What would I be looking at for taxes, it was 81k, the attorney took her cut directly from the insurance carrier. I never saw the money and don't know if it is even on the 1099. I received 46K plus other additiional payments which came directly from payroll, so it has been taxed already.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 08:58 AM
    You should receive a 1099 that shows $81K as income. You report that full amount as income, and then deduct the attorney fees as a miscellaneous deduction on schedule A. Be sure to get a written statement from your attorney that shows how much you had to pay out of the $81K settlement. Amounts you received from payroll will should be reported on your W2, along with witholding tax already paid, so no special tax reporting is needed.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2011, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rsacid View Post
    Hello, I received a mediated settlement of $46000.00. The claim was non-specific physical damages. Stress from the incident and damage to reputation. How much will I have to pay in taxes on that amount and is there any way I can divert some of that to lessen the amount I have to pay in taxes.

This sounds like personal injury, a settlement for stress and damage to your reputation. It's non taxable.

Reimbursement IS taxable.
    Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 12:20 PM
    It all depends what the OP means by the term "physical damages." I thought he meant that some property of his was damaged, and he was stressed by that event; in this case the award is taxable. But if he means that he was injured, and the resulting stress was due to this injury, then is is not taxable. And as noted any award to pay for medical expenses (for the high blood pressure perhaps) are also tax free.

rsacid - if you could please specify what the nature of the "physical damages" were, we could clarify this for you.
    Uber Member

Dec 16, 2011, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    It all depends what the OP means by the term "physical damages."
    I thought he meant that some property of his was damaged, and he was stressed by that event; in this case the award is taxable. But if he means that he was injured, and the resulting stress was due to this injury, then is is not taxable. And as noted any award to pay for medical expenses (for the high blood pressure perhaps) are also tax free.

rsacid - if you could please specify what the nature of the "physical damages" were, we could clarify this for you.

It's in his other thread (somewhere) - he was fired without cause and slandered, causing stress and loss of reputation. No property damage (that I can see).

Sorry - I should have posted this info earlier.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Dec 16, 2011, 06:38 PM
    From IRS publication 4345: Interest, punitive damages, emotional distress or mental anguish, and employment discrimination or injury to reputation settlements are generally taxable.
    Uber Member

Dec 17, 2011, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MukatA View Post
    From IRS publication 4345: Interest, punitive damages, emotional distress or mental anguish, and employment discrimination or injury to reputation settlements are generally taxable.

Is this something new? I work for liability/personal injury Attorneys. The pre-printed settlement agreements state that the personal injury part of the settlement (including emotional distress and mental anguish) are NOT taxable. I will be sending that site out later today for them to review.

I am shocked - and apologize for my apparently very incorrect answer!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Settlement - small claims court ontario [ 0 Answers ]

The defendant has failed to comply with the terms of settlement for more than 2 months, according to the court papers I can continue as there has not been any settlement, I would like a retrial, because I was duress-ed into Accepting the wrong sum of payment, when I go to the court to reserve ...

Need to know what happens if a settlement on a family court motion is not abided by [ 1 Answers ]

If a motion goes to case conference and settlement is agreed upon and Must be fulfilled by a certain date. This was signed by the judge and all Parties. What if this does not happen? I know then that the motion is quashed and it goes back to the original agreement. Is there anything I can...

Payment for civil court settlement [ 5 Answers ]

I am the plaintiff in a civil case with a small municipality, (defendant). The judge is about to rule in my favor, (plaintiff). The defendant (small municipality) is offering a settlement for half of the amount in 6 quarterly payments. 1) I am concerned I will not get paid or the payments will...

Out of court settlement [ 2 Answers ]

My friend was caught stealing from the store he was working in.Amount was about $200-$250.Cops were called and he was charged with theft under 5000.Today when he caled the store owner ,He is ready for out of court settlement.We are new to the country and don't know much . Please help.

Auto Accident: Damage Settlement not Injury Settlement [ 13 Answers ]

Hello all and thank you in advance for your kind answers. My Girlfriend was involved in an accident in November. Here are some key points about the event. 1. Accident Fault - Fault was clearly the other driver Documented in the Police report. 2. Vehicle is currently financed - In both of...

View more questions Search