Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NOVA06 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Distance from Tub/Lav vent to main vent.
    Referring to the attached sketch, The existing sink drain has a vent that serves both it and the tub. When I relocate my sink, it adds about 4 more feet of length to the distance between the sink/tub vent and the main waste vent. This effectively makes it 10 feet. I believe this is likely too far for code and\or effective performance.

I am afraid that I might have to provide a separate vent for both the tub and the sink which would mean 2 new openings in the roof. Do you see an alternative? I am on the top floor so it is readily doable but I want to avoid/minimize new holes in the roof to the extent possible.

From an operational standpoint, if I were to place new vertical vent pipes for the tub and sink and extend them into the ventilated attic space above the ceiling but not punch through the roof, would that work?

Thanks
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf scan0001.pdf (47.4 KB, 289 views)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 4, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Has there been a permit pulled and will this job be inspected? If you're running a 2" vent why not talk the new lavatory vent up and revent back to the existing lavatory vent up in the attic.That way you could do away with the proposed vent. A tub vent can go up in the attic where it can revent back to the lavatory vent and if the original lavatory vent didn't go through the roof it can revent back to a existing roof vent. No extra holes will have to be put through the roof that way. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wet Vent Lav with Shower Vent [ 1 Answers ]

You mention many times that you can wet vent your shower by attaching it to your vented lav drain. Are there any problems doing it the other way around, venting your lav by attaching it to your vented shower drain?

Main Vent pitch [ 2 Answers ]

While on my roof cleaning my gutters, I looked down my main vent stack and saw sitting water about 3 feet down. I originally thought I had a blockage, but after crawling in my attact, I think the problem may be due to an incorrect pitch. A 5' vent pipe goes through the roof into the attact,...

Vent question - critical distance [ 4 Answers ]

I want to install a toilet on the second floor of our house. We have a very small room upstairs in the center of the house which is ideal for an upstairs 1/2 bath. The main 4" vent is on the gable end of the house about 26 feet away from where I want to install the new toilet. My first thought was...

Critical distance question for shared vent [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, A quick question about my basement bathroom project. I have exposed my 4" main. If you are looking at the main from above it runs from right to left draining to the left. The farthest left fixture will be the toilet which I am dropping down, then using a 90 bend and tieing into...

Max distance of vent to toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding two toilets (1.5 baths) to the ground fllor of my house (which is a concrete slab. The house is in NJ. What is the maximum distance the toilets (WC's?) can be from the vent line (I'm using 3" drains and 2" vents). Thanks Mike

View more questions Search