Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dynocompe Posts: 331, Reputation: 56

Jan 27, 2011, 04:20 AM
    Dog has diarehha for three days, now bright red blood
    Ok so first my dog threw up clear vomit twice, then she had diarehha, now the diarehha has small string of bright red blood in it.
    She is three years old, a yorkie/shihtzu cross. The dog is still very active and playful, doesn't seem any different.
    I took her off food for 24 hours, well I tried, but my other half took the dog over to her parents, and I asked if they had food out or gave her a treat and she said they had both out, but wasn't sure if she ate any food, but knows she had half a milkbone for sure. My dog hasn't beed eating or drinking all that much regardless
    I am a bit worried now because blood is being seen, it wasn't at first. I do not have a vet in my town, only on Wednesdays is the vet in town.

Also tonight I cooked up some white rice and fed her about half a cup full of cold rice. She isn't drinking a lot, either which worries me. My other half called the vet, and he told us to give her lots of water and feed her cooked rice. At that time of the phone call, she did not have blood in her stool yet, so we never gave him that information. The stool is both pudding like, and sometimes just very runny,
    Since the dog is still very active and not acting sad, is it safe to wait a few days and see if the rice helps? Or should I get on the highway to the next city a few hours away? Also any tips on getting her to drink water? I tried adding milk, she had nothing to do with it. She does drink some plain cold water I guess, but not enough to my liking with all that diarehha and runs, I mean like every 20 minutes she is going sometimes. Sometimes not that often. We are quite worried, any idea how much this would cost? All my payments come out at the end of the month and beginning of the month, I would definitely miss a payment and pay the vet bill that is for sure if I had too.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 05:17 AM

Can't say how much the vet would be, but definitely should be going to one immediately. Little dog will dehydrate soon if not drinking enough water; that means kidneys will suffer on top of anything else that is wrong with her.

Tick
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 10:27 AM

Try and get as much water into her as you can, use pedialite, chicken broth, anything you can to get her to continually drink, Take her temp, if it's high cool the water, if it's low warm the water to room temp. Aside from this, there really isn't much we can offer for advice. Get her to the vet ASAP. If it were my dog I would drive 100 miles to see a vet if need be.

Jan 27, 2011, 10:39 PM

Went to the vet, thinks it nothing alarming, just probably ate something that she didn't agree with. Gave us some medication to clear up the diarehha and so there will not be any more vomitting also. Cost 107 cdn with taxes. This is in Northern Manitoba. Thanks for your input, glad I went, sure gives you peace and mind.

Jan 27, 2011, 10:40 PM

That's about how far I had to drive, in snowstorm! Lol :)Thats what you get when you live in Northern Canada haha
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 27, 2011, 10:44 PM

I'm glad that your little pup is okay. I live in Canada too, so I feel your pain.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 28, 2011, 08:58 AM

Hahah I used to live in Churchill, so I know what you mean! Glad everything is okay. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had brown discharge then bright red blood what does this mean [ 2 Answers ]

I am 28 yrs old I am wondering about my period which has never happen to me before I woke up yesterday morn with brown stuff kind of looks it it does when I am done with my period but this is at the begin went back to the bathroom a hr later same thing went back another hr and there was spotting of...

Bright red blood during sex [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 19 years old I finished my period about a week ago since then I have had sex twice with my boyfriend, today we had sex but he noticed that I was bleeding! I looked at the condom and it was bright red in blood it can't be my period as I am not due till the 22/03/10 Can you please help me as...

Bright red period blood [ 3 Answers ]

I recently started taking Depa, and this is my first period since my dosage. My period started with dark, old looking blood (What usually happens at the end) and now has turned bright red and has been going on for a week and a half plus. I'm a little worried, but I also think the birth control...

Brown discharge and Bright red blood [ 7 Answers ]

I am 14 years old, and have had my period for about 2 years. I am not sexually active. My Period has normally been regular, but has not been since October. I was expecting my period on October 15, but ended up getting it on the 22nd. It lasted for a normal time span, and flow/colour of blood...

Bright red period blood [ 1 Answers ]

My period started today and the blood is bright red I don't ever remember it being that color in the last 15 years. Is this something I should worry about? It also is very heavy and came on very fast no cramps or any of the other signs I normally get with a period usually I can tell ahead of time...

View more questions Search