Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chmiller25 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2009, 09:32 AM
    What does one need in life to be happy?
    A friend, money, family, a good job, God, love, what is it?. I have struggled with my life since I was a little girl. Friends Come and go and all I ever hear is " Your such a good Friend" "Your are so kind to others"... But when I need a friend, everyone is too busy or doesn't have the time to be a friend... So maybe you don't need friends to be happy... Money, well, it sure as heck helps... no worrying about how things will get paid... no counting as you shop for groceries... So, Money may help... A good Job, Again... It sure helps... God... When I was a child we where very religious and devout Christans. We went to church every week, handed out food to the poor, followed all the "rules" and I was the most depressed little girl you would ever know. I would go to the woods near my house and eat all the berries I could find in hopes that I would die... I took 14 Tylonols one time and only got really sick... I was probably 8-9... At twelve molestd by a children's youth pastor... So then I realized... God would not let that happen... Maybe you don't need God to be happy... Love?. I have been abused more times than I can remember and am not quiet sure what love is... I also tryied ODing on well butrant and took 15... No Luck... I really try hard now to keep pills out of my house unless they are for children... I am 30 years old with two beautiful boys... So my question is... What does one need to do to be happy... Without taking anti-depressants...

Dec 4, 2009, 09:35 AM

Lol... Sorry everyone... Forgot to do a spell check... lol
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2009, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chmiller25 View Post
    I am 30 years old with two beautiful boys....So my question is....What does one need ... to be happy...
    Hello miller:

Uhhh, two beautiful boys is a good start... This is simply a matter of the glass being half full or half empty... Seeing the glass as half full could have a meaningful impact on your life..

There are professionals who can help you do that, if you're unable to accomplish it yourself.

excon

Dec 4, 2009, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello miller:

Uhhh, two beautiful boys is a good start... This is simply a matter of the glass being half full or half empty... Seeing the glass as half full could have a meaningful impact on your life..

There are professionals who can help you do that, if you're unable to accomplish it yourself.

excon

Having two boys IS a wonderful start... Does this mean the more kids I have the happier I am... No... There has to be more... There is a spanish saying that goes... "Faces we see....But hearts...We do not know" My sons see a happy face but does not know the truth...

Let me clarify myself... My boys are everything in life to me... they are the reason I get up every morning... But because of my past, I have to becareful what I do... Just like AA members try to stay away from alcohol because they know they are weak in that area... The same goes with me... I want to find something that will make me happy...
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 4, 2009, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chmiller25 View Post
    But because of my past, I have to becareful what I do... I want to find something that will make me happy...
    Hello again, miller:

Ok, I'm going to give this one more shot. We ALL have pasts. We ALL have to do stuff different because of what we did in the PAST. That's called being WISE. You are NO different than ANYBODY.

Your past, however, is NOT a reason for you to be miserable TODAY. I know you're looking for something, but there is NOTHING to find. You HAVE everything you need. Your glass is half full.

I can't make you see it. I got it.. But, a professional CAN. I'm not LYING. What you are looking for, probably can be found in a counselors office. It ain't going to happen on the internet.

excon
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Dec 4, 2009, 11:40 PM

I agree with excon. There are quick fixes for some things, but other things, you need to address with a professional.

Look at this a different way. If you keep going on looking for the 'reason' you feel as you do, you will never find it.

I have been the victim of a very violent past, and I turned the corner you are at now a long time ago. But, I had to admit, I could not understand enough on my own, to really let it all go.

That's where the help comes in. Turning that corner requires you to be very brave, and willing to deal with the past, in order to put it to rest.

Please seek help, you will not regret it.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2009, 12:19 AM
    First, I must apologize as this will sound corny, and you will have no doubt heard it many, many times.

There is nothing outside yourself that will magically make you happy. Happiness comes from within. It's an attitude, a perception, a way of being. It's acceptance.

None of us are happy 100% of the time. But many of us survive because we accept who we are, what has happened to us and what we currently have. It's never perfect - whatever that may be - it just is.

Wanting to be happy is like wanting to lose weight, give up smoking, buy a house - it's all in the future - it's some 'thing' in the future that we aspire to and want.

I'm going to sound horribly 'zen' now.. all we actually have is THIS moment. Think about it. This moment is all there is... the past is in the past - you can't go back, the future is in the future - you can't go forward. You can only be in the present moment.

Wanting to be happy in the future, and thinking about your past unhappiness just drain your energy. You can never be happy in the present because of this flicking between your past unhappiness and your future hopes.

I agree with excon & jake - seek professional help to assist you to change your perception. You'll be amazed how it will help your state of mind. I wish you all the best.

Dec 7, 2009, 05:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake2008 View Post
    I agree with excon. There are quick fixes for some things, but other things, you need to address with a professional.

Look at this a different way. If you keep going on looking for the 'reason' you feel as you do, you will never find it.

I have been the victim of a very violent past, and I turned the corner you are at now a long time ago. But, I had to admit, I could not understand enough on my own, to really let it all go.

That's where the help comes in. Turning that corner requires you to be very brave, and willing to deal with the past, in order to put it to rest.

Please seek help, you will not regret it.

Thanks you!

Dec 7, 2009, 05:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini54 View Post
    First, I must apologize as this will sound corny, and you will have no doubt heard it many, many times.

There is nothing outside yourself that will magically make you happy. Happiness comes from within. It's an attitude, a perception, a way of being. It's acceptance.

None of us are happy 100% of the time. But many of us survive because we accept who we are, what has happened to us and what we currently have. It's never perfect - whatever that may be - it just is.

Wanting to be happy is like wanting to lose weight, give up smoking, buy a house - it's all in the future - it's some 'thing' in the future that we aspire to and want.

I'm going to sound horribly 'zen' now .. all we actually have is THIS moment. Think about it. This moment is all there is ...the past is in the past - you can't go back, the future is in the future - you can't go forward. You can only be in the present moment.

Wanting to be happy in the future, and thinking about your past unhappiness just drain your energy. You can never be happy in the present because of this flicking between your past unhappiness and your future hopes.

I agree with excon & jake - seek professional help to assist you to change your perception. You'll be amazed how it will help your state of mind. I wish you all the best.

Thank you... That is kind of what I was looking for... Because of what has happened in the past has affected the way I live today... I do worry about the future but I live for the day... That is one thing I will say... Because I don't know what tomorrow carries or what will happen... I live life to the fullest and take every opertunity that comes at me... But yet... I am not happy like I see others... "Happieness Comes from Withen"... So true... and for some it comes easier than others... I know that that is what I truly need to work on... I just wanted to see if I was missing something...
    Soulbeliever666 Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2009, 08:23 AM

Have your reported the abuse? Because talking from experience the only way you will ever feel free is by telling the world what happened to you. And finding happiness well it can mean anything big or small, I find happiness and comfort in the smile and hugs from my 20month old daughter,
    Soulbeliever666 Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Dec 14, 2009, 08:32 AM
    Have your reported the abuse? Because talking from experience the only way you will ever feel free is by telling the world what happened to you. And finding happiness well it can mean anything big or small, I find happiness and comfort in the smile and hugs from my 20month old daughter, I don't earn much but enough to go by but if it wasn't for her then my life would be more of an existence rather then a living. I like to think of things I have got and to be honest I have a lot more then some people for a start I have a roof over my head food on my plate and a wonderful little girl and I am so grateful just for that because it could be a lot worse. Maybe its time for you to open up let it out and fight it. Because if you hold on to the pass you'll ever live, If I held on to everything in my past I wouldn't be the person I am today in fact its made me a better person and a stronger one at that.

He didn't get much time in prison three years in fact he was out after one and a half but that's another story and it was worth reliving the pain because now I'm free he was punished and I'm glad I stepped forward.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

She has to be happy in order to make me happy. [ 20 Answers ]

Around August 5th of last year, my girlfriend and I broke up for the first time. We spent the next two months on and off.. until we got back together in early October. Things have been great since then... until the last couple of days. I sensed that something was wrong, and today it was confirmed....

Should I be happy my mom has a new love in her life [ 2 Answers ]

My mom and my dad split when I was four. It has been many years but now my mom likes this other person. She's always happy with him but I feel like she doesn't have time for me anymore. It sounds a bit selfish because she deserves to be happy but I want to be happy to. I feel like Ive been...

I lost the love of my life, my life doesn't make sense anymore [ 4 Answers ]

I lost mybestfriend and love of my life 2 weeks ago and I don't understand my lifes purpose anymore, we had a connection so strong this doesn't make sense, everything I did in my over the past 22 years was for me however the constant knowing we would be together, we had 3 years to go before...

Why can't some men just be happy with a 'normal' life? [ 20 Answers ]

Hi all. This is just a general question. I am just seeking opinions on what people want from life outside of work. I know a lot of men who are happy with their family or partners/wives but, as I am getting older (35), I am finding that it is very difficult to find men who are happy with the simple...

Happy Passover, Happy Easter! [ 22 Answers ]

I just wanted to wish all my friends on the board greetings for the spring season... If you're Jewish like my family, a very Happy Pesach and Good Seder! If you're Christian, a very Happy Easter! If you have some other religious practice that I've missed, please add it here if you like,...

View more questions Search