Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dirty_Harry Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Nov 11, 2006, 11:45 AM
    Girfriend wants a break for a while.
    I've been going out with this girl for about 6/7 weeks now and she has told me she wants a break for a week or so.

She said she feels claustrophobic and needs some space as she hasn't been single for about 2 years as she had an 11 month relationship and then her other boyfriends came along with no real gap in between (including me) and she says she was afriad this might happen with jumping straight into a relationship with me. (we met during freshers week at uni).

She said it's the relationship not me and she said we can still talk sometimes rather than totally ignoring each other say if I saw her out and about.

Any advice?
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2006, 11:54 AM
    For the LOVE OF GOD!! Do this for me... GIVE HER SPACE!!

Do not under any circumstances call her!! Do not text her!! Do not e-mail her!! Do not answer her calls, text, ore-mail - give her at lest a week!!

Do NOT - if you want her back - be busy do other things - believe me!!

Be busy - think about something else other than her!! Please!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 11, 2006, 11:55 AM
    Then give her the break she wants and realize that she is the one who needs the space for herself, not from you. She most likely jumped from relationship to relationship without giving herself time to breathe.
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2006, 11:56 AM
    Let me guess - bet 1 million $ you came on too strong??

Just leave her alone - give her space - make her miss you. I bet you can't do it though.

PLEASE do this!

Give us an update.
    Geoffersonairplane Posts: 1,195, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2006, 11:57 AM
    Running from one relationship to another is a sure receipe for disaster.

I would listen to the cat on this one, give her the space she wants or possibly lose her forever..!

Nov 11, 2006, 11:59 AM
    But if I happened to see her about I could talk to her yes?

As she said on the phone she said if I saw her and ignored her she'd just find it immature.

Nov 11, 2006, 12:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat21
    Let me guess - bet 1 million $ you came on too strong????????

Just leave her alone - give her space - make her miss you. I bet you can't do it though.

PLEASE do this!!

Give us an update.
    I wouldn't say I came on too strong, we both just fell for each other during freshers week.
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry
    but if I happened to see her about I could talk to her yes?

as she said on the phone she said if I saw her and ignored her she'd just find it immature.

You should never just ignore anyone for no good reason, that is just plain rude. What we mean is, do not e-mail, call her, put any pressure on her, give her space. If you bump into her, you can talk to her but just keep it casual.

But if you bump into her and just decide to ignore her, that would be immature and also rude. At least, that is the way she would see it even if your ulterior motive is somewhat different.

Nov 11, 2006, 12:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffersonairplane
    You should never just ignore anyone for no good reason, that is just plain rude. What we mean is, do not e-mail, call her, put any pressure on her, give her space. If you bump into her, you can talk to her but just keep it casual.

But if you bump into her and just decide to ignore her, that would be immature and also rude. At least, that is the way she would see it even if your ulterior motive is somewhat different.
    So if she calls me should I answer?

Because I think she'd also think it was immature if I didn't.

Aslong as I don't call her, make it up to her to get in touch sort of thing?
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2006, 12:08 PM
    And please remember that it is not a game you are playing with her, you are simply respecting her wish to have space. She will respect you for that + you will show that you are a mature individual!
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2006, 12:12 PM
    so if she calls me should I answer?

Because I think she'd also think it was immature if I didn't.

aslong as I don't call her, make it up to her to get in touch sorta thing?
    Well, you should not jump to the phone straight away.. If she knows you are there waiting, like a puppy dog, it will seem a bit needy.

Perhaps don't answer the first time, wait until she calls you the second time.

If she asks why you did not pick up the first time or return her call, just apologise and say you were at the gym, out with a firend or whatever or that you simply forgot to call back and apologise and keep it all casual.

As Wildcat says, people want what they can't have - ALWAYS..

Sorry Wildcat, not trying to steal your advice but had to pass it on to this guy..

Nov 11, 2006, 12:13 PM
    OK well thanks for the advice I shall see how it goes.

Nov 11, 2006, 12:13 PM
    Oh and I'm talking about a mobile phone so what sort of excuse should I use then?
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2006, 12:15 PM
    Leave her alone - stop talking o nthe phone with her. Stop!

WAIT a as long as you can - I'd wait a month - seriously - but you sound really needy and confused - doubt you could do that.

Women WANT some unprdictabilt/mystery - I bet youdon't give that.

IF she geets - MAD - just tell her one day you were respecting her wishes. SHE sked for this - respect this - she'll love you for it in the end.

This is a MRATHON - love - not a sprint to who gets there first.

You have your own life you need to live.
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2006, 12:20 PM
    oh and i'm talking about a mobile phone so what sort of excuse should I use then?
    What difference does it make if it's a mobile phone or a normal landline, you could still have forgotten to call her back..

It will work out for the best if you follow this advice, and if it does not, well, you did the best thing you could, putting any pressure on her at this point will push her away.

Nov 11, 2006, 12:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat21
    Leave her alone - stop talking o nthe phone with her. Stop!

WAIT a as long as you can - I'd wait a month - seriously - but you sound really needy and confused - doubt you could do that.

Women WANT soem unprdictabilt/mystery - I bet youdon't give that.

IF she geets - MAD - just tell her one day you were respecting her wishes. SHE sked for this - respect this - she'll love you for it in the end.

This is a MRATHON - love - not a sprint to who gets there first.

You have your own life you need to live.
    What am I meant to do if she says I'm being immature since she said we could still see each other and talk?

She said it's not like we just won't talk. :confused:
    ilovcali Posts: 206, Reputation: 85

Nov 11, 2006, 12:59 PM
    Say hi, how are you, and then end the conversation. WALK AWAY FIRST. At this point, what she thinks is irrelevant if you are doing as she asked, which is giving her space. Leave her alone, and stop overanalyzing every detail. Overthinking will definitely blow it. And you are overthinking.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 11, 2006, 02:50 PM
    Dude stop worrying about what she thinks, she dumped you remember. Now leave her alone and get a life without her. Who cares what she thinks. She through you a bone and left the door open for conversation, she may throw you enough scraps to keep you hanging on but that's all you will do hang on, while she gets to do whatever she wants. You sure fell hard after only 6/7 weeks. Get a life without her, and just me personally, I wouldn't return her calls period. Why should you? Look out for you cause she isn't nor is anyone else.

Nov 11, 2006, 05:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Dude stop worrying about what she thinks, she dumped you remember. Now leave her alone and get a life without her. Who cares what she thinks. She thru you a bone and left the door open for conversation, she may throw you enough scraps to keep you hanging on but thats all you will do hang on, while she gets to do whatever she wants. You sure fell hard after only 6/7 weeks. Get a life without her, and just me personally, I wouldn't return her calls period. Why should you? Look out for you cause she isn't nor is anyone else.
    I think I'll go with what everyone else has said rather than this.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 11, 2006, 06:25 PM
    You want a relationship, she doesn't. Your willing to play it her way because you feel she will eventually see that you are the one for her. If I'm wrong let me know. Can you just be friends?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I Break Up With Her? [ 35 Answers ]

All right, my girlfriend was looking at her Facebook on my computer, she saw that she had a new message... and I asked her who it was from, she replied with "oh, i dont look at those messages" and quickly closed the window. I got on my computer right after and went on her Facebook while she was...

Help with break up [ 7 Answers ]

I had been with my boyfriend for about a year. We first met at work and were both instantly attracted to each other. At first we just casually flirted, then started hanging out outside of work. It wasn’t very long before the relationship became physical. Once we had begun sleeping together things...

On A Break [ 10 Answers ]

Hi... I recently asked to have a break with my boyfriend of nine and a half months and I'm not sure what else to do. I asked for a break because I noticed more and more things he did really angered me and it bothered me to think the more time we spent with each other, the more we really didn't get...

Break even [ 2 Answers ]

Product Alpha has been a staple in Omega Corp.'s product line for several years. Annual fixed costs of production and administration related to this product in the past have been $643,500. Annually, variable costs of production and sales have been $17 per unit. The selling price in the past has...

View more questions Search