Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kittykat2009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2009, 12:34 PM
    Lost in my relationship
    My boyfriend of 5 years recently asked me to marry him. We're both 21 (I know we're young). He currently lives in another state for college.

However, a few weeks ago, he asked me a question about my past that he did not know. I told him the truth and he called off the engagement. He knows that I had sex with one other person besides him. The new info I told him was that I had also given oral sex to another guy who I was not in a relationship with months before I met him. Now he can't even look at me. He feels like our whole relationship was based on a lie. He feels like he is "that guy" or a rebound guy. He feels like everyone is laughing at him. He told me that I ruined his perception of all women and that I deceived him by having an innocent image. He said I am not gold, but copper plated gold. He called me a slut and that I'm not that great of a person. He says that I am not the type of woman he wants, but I am the one that he needs. He is really making me feel worthless and I am starting to wonder if I even deserve him.

He has been with 2 other women prior to meeting me, virgins I think. And he slept with another when we were temporarily broken up to get back at me for sleeping with that guy more than a year before I met him.

Recently he told me that he still loved me and that were still engaged, but I was only allowed to call him by his nickname (no pet names and not even his full name). I am not allowed to do anything for him (cook, pay for things because he doesn't have a job). He told me I can't even touch him. He just wants me to act like his friend. This summer, he's coming back here and he doesn't even see himself spending any time with me.

I don't know how to make him feel better. I feel like I have been the best person that I can be and he is using my past against me. He doesn't even feel like I'm genuine anymore. He feels like I changed only so he wouldn't leave me and not for myself. I don't know if I should just end the relationship or not because he doesn't believe in it anymore and I feel he is only still here because he says he loves me. I am scared he is going to bring this back years later and we'll be in the same position we're in now.

I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks
    scott_1976 Posts: 96, Reputation: 19

Jun 6, 2009, 12:51 PM

He shows all the signs of an abusive husband in the making! You need to stay away from this man and find someone who will treat you with respect! Don't put up with this, there are many other fish in the see and you deserve to be treated better! Emotional abuse is just as if not more painful and destructive than physical abuse!
    scott_1976 Posts: 96, Reputation: 19

Jun 6, 2009, 12:57 PM
    "He has been with 2 other women prior to meeting me, virgins i think. and he slept with another when we were temporarily broken up to get back at me for sleeping with that guy more than a year before i met him."

He is also a hypocrite and has double standards! Not all guys are like this you can be happy single and wait to find a guy who deserves you!
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 12:58 PM

He sounds extremely controlling. Even if you do make him feel better, it will only last temporarily. It's his personality the problem, not what you did in the past.

Forget what you did in the past. You need to analyze his personality as a whole. Is this the type of guy want to spend the rest of your life with?
    teastalk Posts: 299, Reputation: 21

Jun 6, 2009, 04:24 PM

I wonder how the other girls managed to run away from him.
    Triysle Posts: 245, Reputation: 84

Jun 6, 2009, 04:33 PM
    I usually try to give both parties the benefit of the doubt, but if what you say is true (and don't be offended, many people exaggerate and even lie on these fora) then you are better off getting out of this situation as soon as you can.

The sad part is, you probably will cling on to him because you lack respect for yourself. I hate to see this happen, because ultimately you will only allow yourself to be abused, in many different ways.

I really hope to see a new post from you in a couple weeks or months telling us about how you got away from him, you're doing fine, you've moved on, and he is leaving you alone. I doubt that will happen so perfectly, though.

Do not be afraid to go to your family and friends for help, or if things escalate do not hesitate to contact emergency services. I won't assume that he is an abusive person, but he does exhibit the extreme insecurity that is present in almost all abusers.

Get out while you still can.

~ Tee
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 04:45 PM

I don't know how to make him feel better
    You can't, but you can get this lowlife, immature, controlling, creep out of your life, as he is already disrespecting you to the point of emotional abuse, and no way is there that much love in the world for you to be putting up with his BS!

Love yourself because he sure doesn't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm Lost in a relationship with a my Man! [ 2 Answers ]

I met this lovely man at church he is 40 years of age. I am 29. First of all our couple of months were brilliant. He was unemployed and I am still unemployed. We went away to places and had fun together all the time, I understood he had friends and I let him go. Towards our relationship now we have...

Confused over a lost relationship! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I knew a gal for over two years now... Initially we used to work together, were quite good friends then... I somehow started liking her a lot and felt that at least she did not feel bad about me... Then I quit the company, as I got a better opportunity outside my country.. so off I...

Involved with someone in a relationship and am lost [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have any advice on where to go in a relationship with a married man? We had the best relationship and now things have changed in dramatic way. He wants to work things out in his marriage, but I feel as if I have given up my life to be with him and he should do the same for me.?

Long Lost Relationship. [ 6 Answers ]

A little information: - I'm 17, male, upcoming Senior in high school. - The relationship that I'm referring to began in 1st grade and lasted until mid 4th grade. (8 years ago I believe) - Childhood relationships never last some say. I wish it were true in my situation. During first grade, I...

Lost relationship with daughter [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I will try to keep this brief! I have two children, one with Autism who is now in a lovely placement after many years of fighting the authorities (he is 18), my daughter is a young 17. I married in 1988 to a man who turned out to be very mentally abusive, I was crushed by him and so were the...

View more questions Search