Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fayew21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2006, 08:45 AM
    How do I get my ex boyfriend back?
    My ex and I are both 21, we grew up together since the age of 7, our families are good friends, plus before we got together we all used to hang around together, so we have the same friends. We started going out when we were 18, he was more into me at first, and it was brilliant, then something made me change my mind so we broke up, then I realized I did really love him and he was what I wanted, and it took me 3 - 4 months to get him back, and when I did he was`nt trating me right, id drop everything for him because I was scared of losing him again, so we split up again for another 4 months, then got back together and have been together this time for 1 1/2 years, its been a rough ride, like he would get down and split up with me for a week or so, then we would get back together. But for the last month and half we have sorted our probs out and both grown up ( or so I thought) and we have been getting on brilliantly, but all of a sudden about 3 weeks ago, he said to me he wanted to split up because he needed to sort himself out and focus on his new job and his life before he can focus on anything else. He says he still loves me and says he just needs to figure things out, how do I get him back?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 23, 2006, 12:46 PM
    You must like rollercoasters cause that is just what it sounds like. I wonder how brilliantly this relationship was going if it led to ANOTHER break-up. I think you should leave him alone and give him all the space he needs and you look honestly at your life. Ask yourself if this is a life you are enjoying and if you even have a life without him. If not, now would be a excellent time to get a life that you enjoy, for your sake.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2006, 06:10 AM
    If you really want to get him back then you need to back away and be willing to possibly lose him forever. This may sound ironic but if anything will work, this will. Get on with your life and do the things you like and want to do, both with others (not him) and yourself. Take a vacation, take a class, read a series of books on a topic you've always wanted to know more about, join a dance club. The list goes on and on. Be willing to live your life without him and be able to enjoy your life just as much without him as with him. There's a powerful psychology involved here. Once he sees that you don't need him and may well be losing you forever, this may very well light a fire under him and get him coming back to you if it's meant to be. Do not contact him ; no e-mails, no phone calls, no IM, nothing. Delete his number from your cell phone, delete his e-mail address and delete his screen name. If you happen to run into each other in public, keep it short and sweet with the customary "Hi, how are you? Good to see you. Well, I've got to run. See you later." Even if you don't, fake it. This is your best bet for maybe eventually getting him back and also setting yourself up for fulfilling future encounters if you don't.
    rockne Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Sep 25, 2006, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    If you really want to get him back then you need to back away and be willing to possibly lose him forever. This may sound ironic but if anything will work, this will. Get on with your life and do the things you like and want to do, both with others (not him) and yourself. Take a vacation, take a class, read a series of books on a topic you've always wanted to know more about, join a dance club. The list goes on and on. Be willing to live your life without him and be able to enjoy your life just as much without him as with him. There's a powerful psychology involved here. Once he sees that you don't need him and may well be losing you forever, this may very well light a fire under him and get him coming back to you if it's meant to be. Do not contact him ; no e-mails, no phone calls, no IM, nothing. Delete his number from your cell phone, delete his e-mail address and delete his screen name. If you happen to run into each other in public, keep it short and sweet with the customary "Hi, how are you? Good to see you. Well, I've got to run. See you later." Even if you don't, fake it. This is your best bet for maybe eventually getting him back and also setting yourself up for fulfilling future encounters if you don't.
    Will this really work? Has anyone on here ever got someone back trying this? It makes total sense I'm just curious if it's ever worked for anyone on this forum. Because it's so hard to not contact someone you care so much about.
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2006, 10:34 AM
    YES - it works - but people usuall yscrew it up.

DURING THAT TIME - YOU MUST work on yourself - improve yourself. Work on you.

Figure out what pushed him/her away.
    Gillion Posts: 52, Reputation: 17

Sep 25, 2006, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockne
    Will this really work? Has anyone on here ever got someone back trying this? It makes total sense I'm just curious if it's ever worked for anyone on this forum. Because it's so hard to not contact someone you care so much about.
    In Western cultures we are seldom raised to control our emotions.

Our strong and wild emotions sometimes run counter to the instinctive and wiser voice inside us that is there to preserve our happiness, sanity and the qaulity of our lives.

We need to start listening to our instincts, that quite voice that says... just be calm and play it cool.

There is however a difference between control and supression.

-- Just my 2 cents

Sep 25, 2006, 01:29 PM
    I think it makes logical sense to cut back communication with someone you split with. But when one person wants the other person back it becomes extremely difficult. It's good advice, but hard to do.

I was just curious if this has worked for anyone, I'd like to hear the details.
    ilovcali Posts: 206, Reputation: 85

Sep 25, 2006, 01:30 PM
    It only works if there was real love from BOTH SIDES. If one person killed their love for the other, or never did love the other, there is no second chance.
    starryeyed Posts: 49, Reputation: 6

Sep 25, 2006, 01:58 PM
    This has worked for me... only thing is that I did such a good job of sorting myself out that I wasn't interested in him any more...

Sep 25, 2006, 02:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starryeyed
    this has worked for me... only thing is that i did such a good job of sorting myself out that i wasn't interested in him any more...
    So after time you lost interest in him, but he came around and would've gone back to you? Did you simply cut off communication all together?
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2006, 03:30 PM
    It's worked for me twice.

Samething happened to me on one - I ended up not wanting them back - realised the bad... how screwed up that person was and how screwed up my life would have been.

People usually screw this up big time.

Or the other person was just a bad person - user.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2006, 03:44 PM
    The no contact period shouldn't be used simply as some ploy to 'win' someone back. That is naïve and plain stupid. This period should be used to work out what went wrong. What part you played in it. How you can make yourself better so if you get back together the same thing won't happen again.

I don't like the word 'win' being used. You shouldn't have to win someone's love. You have to EARN it.
    So in the no contact time you have to work on yourself. Really think long and hard not just about yourself but your partner. Are they good for you. Is it going to work a second time.

And then maybe, but the chances are slim, you may be able to earn that persons love and respect again.
    Don't just think you can cut all contact and they will love you again and you will live happily ever after. This may work initially but it will only be temporary as the same thing will happen again because no one has changed.
    Someone needs to change in order for people to get back together successfully.

Sadly, in this instance fayew21 I don't see anyone changing. You two are acting like teeneagers breaking up and getting back together all the time. Why do you want to continue this.

I think it is time to move on! The both of you need to stop messing with each other and realise that it isn't meant to be!
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2006, 03:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rockne
    Actually I've experienced this twice in my life, although I didn't purposely do it as I was to naïve to know what was going on. Once after a two year relationship my girlfriend dumped me and of course she wanted to be friends but I was so hurt that I didn't want to talk to her. So I didn't but I worked with her so I saw her daily. I did not work on myself as I did not realize I should have been doing that but after 3 or 4 months she called me on my birthday and offered to take me out. We dated for another 6 months before she cheated on me and I finally ended it for good. Looking back I should have played harder to get and I would give that advice to anybody else here.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 25, 2006, 08:46 PM
    How hard is it to remember who you are and not how much in loooooove you are? So many have come here after making a life around another person that they forget who they were before this love thang happened. It is dangerous to put someone so high on the pedestal that you become a disgusting shadow of the person you were before you attracted that person in the first place. Not only do you stop growing with this behavior, you become dependent on some one else for you to be happy. Not a very healthy place to be at all.
    emma154 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Dec 13, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fayew21
    my ex and i are both 21, we grew up together since the age of 7, our families are good friends, plus before we got together we all used to hang around togehter, so we have the same friends. We started going out when we was 18, he was more into me at first, and it was brilliant, then something made me change my mind so we broke up, then i realized i did really love him and he was what i wanted, and it took me 3 - 4 months to get him back, and when i did he was`nt trating me right, id drop everything for him because i was scared of loosing him again, so we split up again for another 4 months, then got back together and have been together this time for 1 1/2 years, its been a rough ride, like he would get down and split up with me for a week or so, then we wud get back together. But for the last month and half we have sorted our probs out and both grown up ( or so i thought) and we have been gettin on brilliantly, but all of a sudden bout 3 weeks ago, he said to me he wanted to split up because he needed to sort himself out and focus on his new job and his life before he can focus on anything else. He says he still loves me and says he just needs to figure things out, how do i get him back??
    From past experience I found always textin and phonin them makes them get anoyed and run away. My ex xtarted to hate me because I was always textin and it did his head in one of his mates told me a few months later that he was going to get back with me but thout I was a nutter because wudnt leave him alone. You have got more chance of getting him back if you don't tex at all then he will wonder why you haven't and tex you do not tex back strait away don't let him think your life revolves round him. If he thinks you over him then he soon be running back
    Hope it works out for you
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Dec 13, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat21
    It's worked for me twice.

Samething happened to me on one - I ended up not wanting them back - realised the bad.....how screwed up that person was and how screwed up my life would have been.

People usually screw this up big time.

Or the other person was just a bad person - user.
    Here is my point EXACTLY!

It seems that neither time that it "worked" did it amount to a very sustainable relationship, did it?

In fact, it sounds like you are almost sorry it did work. Now that is what I see happening often in the world when ex's reunite, precisely that. Lots of regret. That regret should be really considered when talking about how all this works for getting someone back because the big picture in the real world says getting an ex back and living happily ever after is almost non-existent, truth be told here. If that were so possible, we would be hearing right here at AMHD all about it from those who experienced that. Or you would be hearing about it from your friends too.
    angelbaby00069 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 07:41 PM
    You know what , I was in something like that , I was with my ex off and on for about 4 years he says he still loves me and everything but he just needs time to think about everything , well your just making more pain for yourself, my ex treated me bad , I llost all my friends and you.. when we started ging back out the last time it was only 3months in again and I broke things because I realized that I wanted something different something that wasn't on and off, and nothing that was going to hurt me anymore because it does bring you down more and more each time... turst yourself if you have any thought about not going back with him then don't.. even if you love the guy, doesn't make it different it will still be the same, just take time to yourself and not see him for about a week and maybe then because after a week away from my ex I realized I need bette and no games, and maybe you need time to think what YOU want...
    Geoffersonairplane Posts: 1,195, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Dec 14, 2006, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell
    And then maybe, but the chances are slim, you may be able to earn that persons love and respect again.
    Dont just think you can cut all contact and they will love you again and you will live happily ever after. this may work initially but it will only be temporary as the same thing will happen again because no one has changed.
    Someone needs to change in order for people to get back together successfully.
    I completely agree with this. It is tough to face up to this but I sincerely believe that the chances of successful reconciliation are slim even if we do adopt a more productive way to change things through a period of no contact. Doing no contact to hope to win the ex back is foolish. It may possibly make them miss you but won't change why things broke in the first place and it certainly won't make them love you any more if they did not love you in the first place.

It is broken for a reason and that is why it ended. Letting go is so hard but by doing so, we can begin our journey to finding a better relationship with someone who we can fulfill emotionally and spiritually and vice versa. Skell is right, the only chance of a successful reconciliation between two people is serious changes and focus on why things ended in a break-up or better still, an agreed separation (as val points out) in the first place.
    rol Posts: 804, Reputation: 162

Dec 14, 2006, 10:31 AM
    <<. If that were so possible, we would be hearing right here at AMHD all about it from those who experienced that. Or you would be hearing about it from your friends too.
    >>

Well I guess most of those people are not on amhd anymore!
    Well I do know several cases in fact, where people broke up and got back together and are now either having babies or getting maried together.
    I've been to 2 weddings this year where they broke up for a brief period.. my previous colleage broke up with his girl for 3 months, no contact nothing and then she sent him a letter and they met and 2 years later they got back together and having baby now. My guitar teacher also broke up for 4 months and they are married since 3 years with 2 kids .One of my friends husbands decided he needed a life alone and they broke up for a year she got together with someone else and they broke up and then after a year the husband came back and they are happy now . So there are many many cases..
    polostar Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 14, 2006, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fayew21
    my ex and i are both 21, we grew up together since the age of 7, our families are good friends, plus before we got together we all used to hang around togehter, so we have the same friends. We started going out when we was 18, he was more into me at first, and it was brilliant, then something made me change my mind so we broke up, then i realized i did really love him and he was what i wanted, and it took me 3 - 4 months to get him back, and when i did he was`nt trating me right, id drop everything for him because i was scared of loosing him again, so we split up again for another 4 months, then got back together and have been together this time for 1 1/2 years, its been a rough ride, like he would get down and split up with me for a week or so, then we wud get back together. But for the last month and half we have sorted our probs out and both grown up ( or so i thought) and we have been gettin on brilliantly, but all of a sudden bout 3 weeks ago, he said to me he wanted to split up because he needed to sort himself out and focus on his new job and his life before he can focus on anything else. He says he still loves me and says he just needs to figure things out, how do i get him back??
    To get your boyfriend back you should just let him figure out himself and if it is meant to be he will come back to you.

Signed
    polostar

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Low cold water pressure in 2 showers... Not back to back config however [ 8 Answers ]

My home is 16 years old, I've had it for 5 years. I am on a pump - with 70LBS high cutoff and 55lbs Low turn on. All copper - I have 2 Delta 1600 shower faucets - one tub spicket with shower diverter - one shower only. The tub/shower combo has allways had only a trickle of cold water and...

I want my ex boyfriend back... [ 4 Answers ]

I really love my ex boyfriend. Because of my bad attitude, he dump me. I have been not a caring, good girlfriend. But I promise that I will change all my bad attitude. He don't trust me. I loved him for 7 years and we dating for a year. I really need him in my whole life. I Love Him. Help me.

How to get my ex boyfriend back [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I was with my ex-boyfriend for 2 months we got on really well mostly meet the weekends as he worked about 3hrs away and worked long hrs. He is a quite but really nice there isn't too many off them out there. Well he finished with me and I didn't see him for a while after but when I did...

I want my ex boyfriend back [ 67 Answers ]

I really love my ex and I don't know if he will give me another chance. I need really good advise on this so if someone please could help me thank you. I asked him out and he's thinking about it he said he likes me. He put this screenname as "steph ur sexi 4 life too" because I put it first and...

Will I get back with my ex boyfriend? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend dumped me about 4 months ago a week before my exams! We didn't speak for ages and then we made up but he was jealous because id formed a good friendship with his best mate. Recently we've got on really well and we went to the cinema together the other week and had a lauf. 2 weeks...

View more questions Search