Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    masteer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2009, 09:51 PM
    My emotional abuse
    I've been dating this guy for 6 months and I really do love him. Its been amazing. We can talk, I have fun and I love it. The problems didn't start until the 3rd month when my family started believing that I wasn't the same person again. I didn't notice my change. Lately they keep pushing this whole "hes abusive and you dont even know it" stuff on me. I've started thinking about it more and more. What if he is abusing me and I don't even know it? I know he's not doing it because of control. He truly wants this to work. He doesn't force me to do things. Yeah he doesn't like when I go out and drink and am with other guys, but what boyfriend really enjoys that? I don't know what to do to change anything. It seems that every time I try to fix it it gets worse. What do I do? How do I change it so that it is the way it use to be before without losing my boyfriend, my friends and my family. Is there a middle ground??
    a la king Posts: 121, Reputation: 22

Apr 8, 2009, 10:03 PM

Not a lot of detail here to see if he is actually potentially abusive.

Anymore details on what sets him off? What he doesn't like you doing? Any topic that make you feel like you're walking on eggshells?
    Rich11111 Posts: 99, Reputation: 25

Apr 9, 2009, 05:00 AM

You really do need to give a little more information here to get a good answer.
    Everybody changes a little when the get into a serious relationship. Your priorities change, different things make you happy. You said you were happy before this started, so even if you did change a lot, until your family started complaining, it was a change for the better.

The way I see it is
    Your boyfriend makes you happy.
    Your family makes you miserable and have now got you questioning your boyfriend.
    I don't know any of the details here, but from what you have written, if I had to say who is emotionally abusive here I would say your family is, not your boyfriend.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 05:07 AM

Lacking a lot of crucial information,but judging from what you've said, I don't see how he's abusive.

And you're right, I wouldn't like my fiancé going out drinking with other guys unless I was present. A girls night out is okay, but a night out with guys, that's a boundary.
    masteer Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2009, 09:02 AM
    When we started dating everything was amazing. My family was happy, they liked him. Then I didn't want to go out and drink. We had made a pact not to go out and get drunk without each other so I stopped going out because all of my friends, all they would do is drink. I didn't want to be around it. We talk all day everyday and we never get tired of talking. We don't run out of things to talk about. His family loves me and now my parents hate my boyfriend. He doesn't like me being around my ex which is understandable. He sometimes tells me that my sisters about nothing and my parents will see what we have. But its always like I'm trying to be the middle man. I want it to all be okay. He cries to me and tells me he doesn't want to lose me. He wouldn't know what to do if he lost me. His family life is screwed up. His dad did/does drugs, cheated on his mom and got divorced. His mom was an alcoholic before eshe met her now husband. He raised himself since he was 16 basically. I just don't know what to do. I don't know if I need to tell him that he needs to talk to someone, a shrink or what. This is just so stressful.:(
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 10:23 AM

Emotional abuse is when someone is putting you down and in return it makes you seem worthless.

When all know physical abuse is when it actually becomes physical.

However if his family issues are coming between the two of you than yes he needs counseling for himself.

If the two of you can't sit now to have a open discussion about your feeling and problems in a civil mature matter, then the relationship isn't going work.

Your family and friends are seeing things that you don't or maybe you don't want to see. Or maybe your telling them the issues you and your boyfriend are having and they don't like it and in return it's making them not like your boyfriend. So yes they could be interferring but if you are telling them your problems than their only judging him base on what your telling them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emotional Abuse [ 1 Answers ]

When my child's father has come for his visitation and child does not want to go and father tells child you are considered dead to me and recently told child not to call him and he is no longer his father. I know I have to reensure him that he is loved and wanted at our home, but how can I help...

Emotional abuse [ 3 Answers ]

What are the laws against emotional abuse?:confused:

Emotional abuse [ 5 Answers ]

Hi This is my first time on this site. I'll try to be as brief as possible about my problem. I've had a lot of problems of late and found out my ex of many years has been emotionally abusing me. I didn't realise and have ben told this by counsellors after describing the relationship. I've now...

Emotional abuse? [ 5 Answers ]

First of all, I want ot say that I come from an European country where divorce rates are pretty low compared to the states. I have been taught that marriage is important and you should not leave for the minimum problem. Raised in such a culture I have grown thinking that once married I would only...

Why is there not a law about emotional abuse? [ 16 Answers ]

Why do people take emotional abuse so lightly? Thank you for your concern and advice, I thank God mostly because without him I would not seek help, and for the times no one was there. I am in the process of recovery. I had gone to a hospital for crisis advice three times in this relationship....

View more questions Search