Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pennybot Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Aug 3, 2006, 06:09 AM
    What massage is better?
    Thai or Remedial?

I'm not exactly sure of the differences..

I tried a Thai one yesterday and I already feel the difference in my energy. I woke up much easier this morning.

Both are supposed to be good for toning.

I don't know if I've had a remedial but I did get one a few years ago where this guy that shoved his knuckles extremely hard into my back which was unpleasant and took two days to recover.

Also, How do you know when you have a good physiotherapist? I have a bad knee, hip and wrist.. what does one look out for in a physiotherapist to know they have a good one?
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Aug 4, 2006, 02:15 AM
    Hi Pennybot,
    I had actually never heard the term Remedial massage, and had to look it up.
    Well, first off, Thai massage combines a lot of yogic elements. It is almost a from of partner yoga. There is a great deal of emphasis on stretching and range of motion, in conjunction with more common kneading techniques. One thing that makes Thai massage unique is that much of it is performed from a floor seated posture, as opposed to lying prone or supine on a table. Though very slow paced and relaxing, it could be considered a bit more active in a sense. Yet, as in all massage, the recipient is encouraged not to aid in the movements.
    From what I can see of Remedial massage, it appears to combine many techniques of relaxation forms such as Swedish, and energetic techniques such as the Chinese massage, Tui Na. A form such as Tui Na incorporates many elements designed to help correct imbalances in the meridian system, the energetic channels of the body described in Chinese medicine, in which our "chi" or vital energy flows through. It is based on much the same principles as accupuncture.
    Yoga works on very similar principles, and a very similar system, manipulating "prana." And this is largely part of the aim of the Thai technique.
    Tui Na is also sometimes referred to as Chi Gong massage, as practitioners must engage in many hours of such energy work, in order to strengthen their own chi and develop their healing powers.
    I first had this from of massage myself a few weeks ago -- though I have personally practiced Chi Gong intermittently over the years -- and I am truly amazed at the results, even weeks later. Not only did it afford me a great deal of relief from tension, it eradicated edema in my feet that had been plaguing me for months.
    As far as the bad experience you describe, you unfortunately got a very unskilled or unattentive practitioner. Though not unhead of, experiences like that are hopefully not very common.
    I myself am a certified practitioner of Swedish massage. I can tell you confidently that you should never, ever be sore after a massage, never mind for days afterwards. He was either way to aggressive in his approach, or overly goal-oriented and overworked the tissues. I hope he was informed enough not to apply firm pressure over your kidney region or such. He should have been sensitive to feedback that your body was giving him, though as well, he should have periodically been informing you of the procedures and inquiring as to your comfort. Not enough to disturb your relaxation, but enough to ensure that nothing adverse occurred.
    It can be difficult to find a really good therapist, and not everyone pairs well with every therapist, but there are things to look for. Someone with relatively advanced training is always good; and the better the office, likely the more business they have, on top of experience. Two things I would almost insist on, if in the US... One is National Certification. This is a comprehensive wriiten test, required in many states now, proving fairly extensive competency of anatomical knowledge and basic, common technique, as well as professional guidelines and ethics. Secondly is membership in the AMTA (American Massage Therapy Association). This is a professional organization devoted to promoting and maintaining high standards throughout the profession. Two of my own instructors were former presidents of this association. Other than that, it's largely just a matter of finding someone of which you feel comfortable with, can afford, and provides a technique that you find beneficial. Be aware too, that not all therapists have the advanced training necessary for rehabilitation of injuries. Some people are strictly relaxation, and the therapist should know their limits, and stringently adhere solely to what they are trained in.
    pennybot Posts: 57, Reputation: 18

Aug 4, 2006, 05:53 PM
    Thanks Thomas, that cleared up a lot of my confusion. After asking around, I think Remedial means "deep tissue"

I guess I should revisit check around on the physiotherapist.. as I know little on what to look for in a physio.. the fella I had been seeing had done the electrode thing, used zapping to increase blood flow, pressure massaged the area, gave me exercises to do, (but it was costing me a bit after a while so took a hiatus to heal my wallet :p )
    So how often is reasonable and for how long should one go for an injury?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 4, 2006, 06:06 PM
    Way back in what I call my "other life" when I used to sit around health clubs and get massages on a regular basis, I will say that many forms can be great ( I think I would also have to vote Swedish as my favorite also.

And as noted, if the person knows what they are doing and do it right, you may have slight discomfort while they are doing it ( but only slight) but will not have anything to get over the next day at all.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Aug 5, 2006, 01:26 AM
    Hi Pennybot,
    I'm not sure. I am familiar with Deep Tissue massage and the techniques are very similar to Swedish, though the style is a bit more "agressive", and designed to work deeper, more supportive or structural muscles. From what I read on the few websites I skimmed through, it seemed that Remedial massage was more an amalgamation of certain techniques which did include some energy work. Deep tissue doesn't involve any energy work.
    I think what you are describing in your last post is a physical therapist, as opposed to a massage therapist. There is a great degree of overlap in some cases, but a massage therapist would never use electrical modalities, and a physical therapist would be far more likely to prescribe exercises to be performed at home.
    As far as the frequency of visits for, or duration of, treatment -- that would all depend on the nature of the injury and the patients relative ability to pay. Generally, the therapist would attempt initially to work out some sort of timeline of expected, achievable goals, which would then be periodically revisied during treatment, as necessary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Partner visiting massage parlors [ 69 Answers ]

I have just found out that my parter has been visiting massage parlors for masturbation. This has totally shattered me as I never thought for one second that he was capable of this sort of behaviour. When I confronted him he denied it but I have the proof. He has confessed to me that up until a...

View more questions Search