Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    skydive4life Posts: 84, Reputation: 6

Dec 7, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Smoking cigs
    I've been smoking for about 3 years now I'm at about a pack a day give or take depending on what I'm doing and how I'm feeling. I would love to stop just because its such a bad habbit but its not as easy as you'd think haha. I tried the patches and gum and those things are horrible does anyone have any suggestions?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 10:00 AM

While attending a 12 step meeting one participant stated he quit by using the steps to quit,so far he has been smoke free for the past 7 years.I guess if he can quit drinking AND smoking at the same time,it would seem possible.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Hello sky:

Having been a user of substances my entire life, I found cigarettes to be the absolute hardest addiction to break.

But, I did it. I used a program that isn't offered anymore by Shick Shadel Hospitals. Some people get hypnotized. Some use accupuncture. Some pray. My ex wife just quit (and that really pissed me off), cause at the time, I couldn't just quit. I HAD to participate in a program...

But, all the programs work for some. And, none of them work for everybody. Because, in the final analysis, it's not YOU and the PROGRAM. It's YOU and the DRUG. THAT relationship needs to be broken, and it's up to YOU to break it. These programs offer support, but the actor in the equation is YOU.

So, find a program, or not. Or just stop. I don't know what's going to work for you. I hope you DO stop, because it WILL kill you, of course. Virtually everybody who smokes will die of smoking related disease.

excon

Dec 7, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello sky:

Having been a user of substances my entire life, I found cigarettes to be the absolute hardest addiction to break.

But, I did it. I used a program that isn't offered anymore by Shick Shadel Hospitals. Some people get hypnotized. Some use accupuncture. Some pray. My ex wife just quit (and that really pissed me off), cause at the time, I couldn't just quit. I HAD to participate in a program...

But, all the programs work for some. And, none of them work for everybody. Because, in the final analysis, it's not YOU and the PROGRAM. It's YOU and the DRUG. THAT relationship needs to be broken, and it's up to YOU to break it. These programs offer support, but the actor in the equation is YOU.

So, find a program, or not. Or just stop. I dunno what's gonna work for you. I hope you DO stop, because it WILL kill you, of course. Virtually everybody who smokes will die of smoking related disease.

excon
    Yea I wish it wasn't so bad for you because it really is nice to have a cig. But I don't feel like going out that way so I need to find something that works for me thank you for your advice
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 06:14 PM

My adult son tried cold turkey a few weeks ago. He got so bound up he was miserable for a week. He had to go back to smoking only a few a day to keep regular. He is tapering off now though. One thing that helped him flush the nicotine out of his system was grapefruit juice. Not orange juice it does not do the same thing, but grapefruit juice helped him.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 08:13 PM

I quit smoking in about 1983 after having smoked since 1961... over 2 packs a day.

At the time, I was a born again Christian and my ladyfriend who discipled me prompted me to quit, so I gave up the habit for Jesus. The really terrible part was over in 3 days... two weeks for me really letting it go. I can't thank her enough, what a wonderful thing she did for me.

Today, I'm an atheist.
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2008, 08:31 PM

My dad quit after being rushed to the hospital... thought he was having a heart attack.

Whatever you do... do it before that happens.

Good luck and God bless ;)
    gritt49 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Dec 7, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by skydive4life View Post
    ive been smoking for about 3 years now im at about a pack a day give or take depending on what im doing and how im feeling. I would love to stop just becuase its such a bad habbit but its not as easy as youd think haha. I tried the patches and gum and those things are horrible does anyone have any suggestions?
    I quit cold turkey about 11 years ago,and never even attempted to smoke again, 1 for health reasons and 2 they are so darn expensive. For every indivusal it is so different so good luck to you.
    Kevin_s Posts: 213, Reputation: 51

Dec 8, 2008, 02:16 AM

Have you heard of these "electric cigarettes"? They are a big hit in the UK. I read up on it for my mom (I'll admit... I have one every now and then, but I'm really not all that dependent on them.)

Basically it's plastic cylinder, you put nicotine cartridges into it and over this process you lower the amount of nicotine percentage until it is 0. You can then basically STOP smoking, or still use the 0 just for the oral fixation.

A lot of the time I noticed that if I smoked, it's because I was bored, it was some oral fixation (like if I was driving, I would pop one out.)

The problem is, both my parents smoke. And they are chain-smokers. I don't want to become that. Haha.

Here is a link to what I am talking about (I can't remember if I'm allowed to post out-side links.. )

The electric cigarette that gives you a nicotine hit and gets round the smoking ban | Mail Online

Dec 8, 2008, 07:33 AM

Electric cigs haha.. That's actually not a bad idea I'll look into it.. I'm the same way when I'm driving I don't even think about it I'm just driving and the next thing I no I got a square in my hand haha

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smoking age [ 9 Answers ]

At seventeen in America, if your parents let you smoke is it legal?

Smoking Pot [ 20 Answers ]

My girlfriend recently tried pot and had a good experience . I am not into it and haven't tried it. She tells me that she enjoyed it and plans on doing it again soon. And would like me to try it , so I can see for myself that it is not that bad. What are your thoughts on Pot. Having not done it...

Smoking [ 6 Answers ]

I have given up smoking for a week and I am dying for a fag shall I have one?? Or shall I continue to eat my nails. If so does anyone have a spare hand

Smoking . [ 18 Answers ]

Hi Ino I Have Wrote Aload Of Topics And Shouldn't Attempt All These Things At Once But I Spend So Much Money On Cigs And Im 15 I Need Help Stopping What's The Easyiest Way Possible Please Help , Sorry If This Is In The Wrote Section

View more questions Search