Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scornedtoomuch Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Oct 17, 2008, 01:03 PM
    After 10 years I was dumped
    I just recently had a hysterectomy and my fiancée of 2 years (together for 10) decided to tell me that he was not in love with me. He said he had been feeling like this for two months. I moved out of our place, but he contacted me yesterday to explain that he feels we have two different lifestyles (me a homebody, him a night life kind of guy), I felt we were compromising for a long time but I guess not. He said he thinks I am a wonderful woman but knows I deserve better. This is the 6th time he has done this in the 10 yrs we have been together. He said this time is permanet, he does not know why he acts like this, he is like his mother, not knowing what he wants in life. He is wanting me to still be a part of his life, but I don't think that would be a good idea. We share a 5yr old godson, I do love him, but am sick of this. What advice can you all give me
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2008, 01:27 PM

He's done this to you 6 times, huh? Was the split always for the same reason? Either way, 6 times to break up and get back together is a lot, even if you've been together 10 years. The best advice I can give you to make it easier on you is not to talk to him. Somewhere down the road you guys could probably be friends but until you're over him try to find things to do to occupy your time. Spend more time with friends, anything to keep busy. I can't imagine how hard it must be to be with someone for 10 years and then it's over.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2008, 01:34 PM

Yeah... I am not experienced enough to offer advice to you. But I will be praying for you.

Oct 17, 2008, 01:36 PM
    Thanks Zoe Marie
    Well, we had always had a rocky relationship, but I thought we were getting there. Last year he ended the relationship for the same reason, and when I questioned him on it the last time, he said that he felt he missed me for my friendship, and was confused by that. I don't know, he is a good guy, but he is very influenced by people and events in his life. I told him yesterday I needed time to heal, he asked me to call him I did, and he felt the need to explain to me that I am a wonderful woman and deserve the best, he felt we are just better off as friends and has been feeling like this for a while. I am trying to adjust but he is still calling. He said that he does wonder if this was the right choice, but he realizes that he has some healing to do also and wonders if it was the right decision. But then he says I deserve to be happy and he can't see me being happy with the decision of staying together when he wants to live a different way as me (which is to go out partying and hanging out with people I have nothing in common with).
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 17, 2008, 02:10 PM

Breaking up is definitely a hard thing to go through, I would imagine especially if you've been with the person 10 years. I've never been with anyone that long. It's going to be harder for both of you to heal if he still calls you though. It sounds like it's best this happened though. It will give you a chance to find someone who wants you more than for just a friendship (you said he missed your friendship last time you broke up) and that you have more in common though.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 18, 2008, 09:48 PM
    This has been over several times , but hopefully this is it.

Stop all contact from him all together, and get a plan to rebuild your life without him. Read my signature, and visit the stickies at the beginning of this forum, and ask all the questions you want.

All three postings of the "No Contact Calender" will let you see your not alone, as many go through the break up blues, and get through it. So can you.

Feb 18, 2009, 02:29 PM
    Rebound or what?
    Threads merged

Hello All:

I am having a hard time dealing with the ending of this relationship, I was with this man for 2 weeks shy of 10 years. I stood by him through everything (unemployment, health issues, prison(3 1/2 years faithfully and stupidly). Throughout the relationship I caught him lying, cheating, and disrespecting me in so many ways. We broke up and he begged me to come back more than once, we got engaged two years ago, I went in have a hysterectomy, and two weeks into my recovery he tells me he has not been in love with me for two months and it was over. I moved out, two weeks later he starts dating a woman who was related to a friend of his, and got along with me and wanted to help me plan my wedding, now they are living together and it is only been 4 1/2 months post breakup. IS this a rebound or what? I know I deserve better, however I gave this man nearly a century of my life, how can he treat me like this??
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 02:42 PM

Some people are just thoughtless and selfish.I am sure I could conjure up some more fitting adjectives but that would serve no purpose.

I have seen so many good people get dumped on,I can't begin to count them.

I would say she is a rebound but if I were you I would be glad to have him gone ,before the wedding and a vow that he would most likely find incapable of honoring.

I'm sorry for your pain.There are some people who just suck the life right out of you and then move on to do it to someone else.

I do believe in Karma and he will get his someday.

I am sure there are many men who would love to have a faithful girl like you.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scornedtoomuch View Post
    I know I deserve better, however I gave this man nearly a century of my life, how can he treat me like this?????
    You have given him a decade. A century is 100 years.

It really doesn't matter what his relationship with this new person is. You need to focus on yourself and healing. Seeking answers will not help you feel any better in this situation.

Feb 18, 2009, 02:47 PM
    Thanks so much Artlady, your words really mean a lot to me. I know that he has done some evil things, but is there something wrong with me that I still allowed it to happen? I wanted to really make things work with him, and I ended up forgetting about me in the process. He will be 38 this year, and he acts like he is still in his teens. I gave up my 20's for him now I have to move on, it is just so hard for me:)

Feb 18, 2009, 02:48 PM
    Thanks for clearing that up justwantfair, it certainly feels like a century :(
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 02:54 PM

It feels like forever but you still have A lot of life left. And from the sounds of your relationship that was NO way to be spending it.

Let him bring himself and the new girl down, you can do better with your life then being some prisoner's wife.

Feb 18, 2009, 02:56 PM
    Thank you for your kind words as well justwantfair. I hope I can pick up the pieces of my life and move on, that is what everyone tells me, it is just so hard. I am in therapy trying to get some help, it works for the moment, but then later I just feel down and start questioning everything about us, and I am hardly able to function. I wonder how long this will take to get through it??
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 03:01 PM

It can take a long time, remember you gave him a decade. It always depends on the individual not only are you giving up on him, you are in desperate need to find out about you again.

Come here, vent ANYTIME you would like. You will find plenty of listening ears and GREAT advice. We have all gone through this process, it's painful and support is the BEST offense.

Therapy is wonderful, good luck to you and God bless.

Feb 18, 2009, 03:04 PM
    [not only are you giving up on him, you are in desperate need to find out about you again.

That is so true, I don't know who I am any more. It was always us, or rather him. Now its me, and I have to find out who I am. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks so much!
    Rola7 Posts: 3, Reputation: -1
    -

Feb 18, 2009, 03:19 PM
    Comment on artlady's post
    Very true!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by scornedtoomuch View Post
    Thanks so much Artlady, your words really mean alot to me. I know that he has done some evil things, but is there something wrong with me that I still allowed it to happen? I wanted to really make things work with him, and I ended up forgetting about me in the process. He will be 38 this year, and he acts like he is still in his teens. I gave up my 20's for him now I have to move on, it is just so hard for me:)
    My Dear,just be grateful that you did not waste your entire life on him.

Its shocking when we realize how taken we have been by someone that we failed to see what a losing jerk they were all along.

There is a lot of advice here on how to heal after a break-up.Please take advantage of it and keep in mind that you may be able to advise someone else who is walking in your shoes.
    It also helps to take your mind off your own pain, and that is a must right now.

Hang in there ;)
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 05:14 PM

I feel your pain and sympathise with you , but it honestly sounds like your better off without this loser. I know that's easier to say and your finding that hard to believe at the moment with all the emotional turmoil that's involved.

Write a list of all the Pro's and Con's of this man , I'll bet the Con's will be a longer list. Sometimes looking at something like that makes the realisation kick in.

Good Luck!!

May 27, 2009, 09:40 AM
    8 months post Long Term relationship breakup
    Threads merged

Hello Everyone:

I posted here in Oct 08, after being dumped during my recovery of a hysterectomy and my fiancée and I were together two weeks shy of ten years. I just wanted to give you a follow up on everything. I am nearly 8 months post breakup and I feel so much better about everything. After the initial shock of the breakup, I went through every emotion of grief imaginable. The anger stage was the worst. But through therapy and good friends, I am able to say I am just about healed. I still have some ways to go, but because my ex fiancée is part of my life due to his family is my family (we were together ten years), I see him and his girlfriend and I am able to now talk a little with them, and am more relaxed, and I know that deep down there is someone better out there for me. I am thankful that my ex left me, now I have a chance to find someone better. I am taking my time, just getting my life together, and one day I know I will find love again. Now I will be much more smarter and recongnize the red flags a little bit more. I wanted to let whoever out there know that is going through a really tough breakup and have feelings of not being able to get through the day let alone 8 months later like me, you can do it. I wish you all the luck, and remember when one door closes another one opens. This site is awesome and listen to the advise of some of the experts, because it is so true. Thanks for your support and good luck to all the new dumpees. You will find your way again
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2009, 09:54 AM

Glad to hear you are doing better! Good luck to you in the future.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend dumped me after 4 years and called me for the 1st time since. [ 6 Answers ]

Ok I wrote a thing a while back when this 1st happened. Today she called me and we were talking. It was going normal until she said this. She said that she still loves and cares for me but doesn't know if she is still in love with me and she said she wants to think about it. I then asked...

Girlfriend dumped me after 4 years [ 15 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I were dating for 4 years. I just graduated HS and she is a senior, this happened at random. We hung out all the time and she never showed disinterest in me. She said that she needs to feel independent and that she needs to clear her mind. She said she still loves me and wants to...

Dumped after 3 years, for someone else? [ 15 Answers ]

I'm 23 next week and she's JUST TURNED 21, she started a new internship with other 20 something's and started to hang out with them a lot then she wanted a break, made out with one of the guys at a party and now talks to him on the phone but says she's not going to start a relationship with him....

Dumped after 5 years. [ 8 Answers ]

We were together 5 years and engaged. We lived together 4 of the years and then as she was about to graduate Law School she dumped me. I am heart broken and feel as if my life has ended. I have finally stopped calling, texting or emailing her. I hope she will notice. Yet it seems like she is so...

Dumped after 6 years, found a new girl, feeling even worse [ 121 Answers ]

It's been 2 months since my 6 year relationship with my girlfriend from high school ended. I don't have much of a desire to contact her, and it's been going well up until now. I recently met a girl at a club a few days ago and she seems really nice- a college senior who is just a year younger...

View more questions Search