Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bored987 Posts: 25, Reputation: 0

Dec 7, 2008, 12:18 AM

If her dad is really hurting her and her mother the best thing to do would be to get law enforcement involed you said tat they don't want to do tat by it might need to be done if not ask her if there is anything that you could do to help or maybe suggest that either her dad or her and her mom go to some kind of counciling if they think that that would help
    timtim-awesim Posts: 54, Reputation: -2

Dec 7, 2008, 12:27 AM

I think it depends on how old you two are. Is she 15? 20? Maybe she could move in with you :-)
    NItEMArE129 Posts: 222, Reputation: 29

Dec 7, 2008, 08:20 AM

We're still teenagers in high school so I don't think she could move in with me haha. And is law enforcement really the best course of action right now? They've exhausted counseling because her dad just gets pissed off at the counselor, screams that it's a waste of money, and runs out. Is there anythign else?
    ingrid119 Posts: 63, Reputation: 9

Dec 7, 2008, 08:27 AM

Maybe your girlfriend can go to a psychiatrist by herself... her father obviously can't be controlled but the way she recepts and deals with his abusiveness can. They can teach her steps to tone him out, to gain back her confidence.

Dec 7, 2008, 08:39 AM

She already goes to a psychologist for clinical depression but he's next to useless... And her regular psychologist is on break for 3 years so he can't help.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 09:10 AM

These counselors and psychologists should be reporting the abuse to the Children's Services they are mandated by law to report abuse.
    I really know the dad's point on them being a waste because I have never had any that did anything but sit there and say uhhmm.
    I had one good one and she still didn't do or say anything. I felt like I was just as well off sitting at home telling the wall my problems and saving my time and bus money. BUT these counselors should have seen by his behavior that he is abusive and reported it to the CPS.
    If they aren't going to do anything (and often CPS will not even do anything) then getting them involved will only make it harder because it WILL bring the very worst out in him that they were contacted. The mother should be taking a long hard look at what is going on and make decisions like leaving him. As long as she won't I am not sure there is much you can do without ending up having it create more problems. Other than that your girlfriend needs to stress to her psychologist exactly how bad it is and ask them for advise and help on getting out of the situation.

Dec 7, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Does anybody have any tips for dealing with th eabuse and letting it roll off? Because I don't have any and this has caused her to have a lot of psychological problems.
    worriedjc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 09:54 AM
    It sounds like this has been a pattern of abuse that mom has accepted and that counseling is not working. The only way this will get resolved is if mom and daughter leave the household. As much as you want to help your girlfriend, there is really nothing you can personally do to change her father's behavior. He was probably abused himself and is unsure or unwilling to change this behavior. Your girlfriend's mom needs to make a change for herself and her daughter. They could go to a domestic violence shelter or call the police, have him removed and get a restraining order. The restraining orders will only do so much, the best thing would be to get away from him. If there is some family to go to that would be best, but it sounds like mom needs some counseling as well to get out of this abusive situation.

Don't try to solve this problem on your own, you can't and may make things worse.

Dec 8, 2008, 09:05 PM

If her dad flips out, have her come to your house for the night until he chills. Explain the problem to your own parents and let them know when she sleeps over.

Dec 8, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Comment on worriedjc's post
    I agree, you could make problems much worse if you try to intervene. Just be there to support your girlfriend, that's all you got to do
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2008, 05:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timtim-awesim View Post
    if her dad flips out, have her come to your house for the night until he chills. Explain the problem to your own parents and let them know when she sleeps over.
    Having her come to his house for the night could cause a whole nother set of problems.
    Dad could call the police and get them for harboring a minor if she is a minor.

Dec 9, 2008, 02:26 PM

Plus that's probably a recipe for disaster because her dad is not OK with me being her boyfriend which would only make him angrier

Dec 10, 2008, 08:31 PM

He can't do anything because she's staying at a friend's house overnight. The police won't listen to his case..
    Anyway you were making it seem like her staying at home was a recipe for disaster as well

Dec 10, 2008, 08:32 PM
    And I didn't mean for her to move in, just for her to come overnight.
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by timtim-awesim View Post
    He can't do anything because she's staying at a friend's house overnight. the police wont listen to his case..
    anyway you were making it seem like her staying at home was a recipe for disaster as well
    How do you figure?
    Yes it may be a recipe for disaster but you do not jump into the fire to get away from the smoldering heat.

Dec 11, 2008, 12:53 PM

And he can make the case sound however he wants it to. The police are obliged to listen and take it seriosly because they never know if it's real or not.
    roxy8120 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Dec 12, 2008, 09:19 AM

TIMTIM answer is the best at this point

Jan 7, 2009, 08:16 PM
    Do you think gifts are necessary in a relationship?
    Threads merged

This was out of curiosity because my girlfriend and I recently decided not to give gifts to each other for Valentine's Day. We're fairly young, and we ran out of ideas for gifts. I was curious to know if this could be potentially damaging to our relationship. Should we get gifts anyway, or should we just not get gifts?
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Jan 7, 2009, 08:25 PM

Giving gifts is showing your willingness to please. However, using gifts to cover important factors like communication and time is't good as well. Gifts is not necessary but it's nice to get one once in awhile.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 7, 2009, 08:26 PM

Hi, NItEMArE129!

If you've both decided not to get gifts, it's okay. If a couple gives gifts or not isn't a determining factor for success in a relationship, unless the couple has been together for a number of years and giving gifts is the thing that's expected to be done and one of the persons truly expects to be given and/or to give a gift. Then, there might be problems.

However, to have a problem simply because a person didn't receive or give a gift is irrational. There are much bigger things about which to be concerned in a relationship than material things.

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you fall out of love when there are issues in the relationship? [ 4 Answers ]

For some of you who have read my threads my ex recently broke up w/me we had a lot of issues & we fought a lot which was not healthy. Above it all I was sure of one thing that he was more in love w/me than I was with him because we did have some amazing times together. He told me I was the love of...

Relationship Issues [ 10 Answers ]

Hiii, I'm olivia.. I am about to tell you the most insane story and I need desperate advice. I won't mention the whole scenario, but I am 18 and I have been going out with my boyfriend since I was 16. It took him 6 months to ask me out cause he thought I was too good for him or something...

Relationship issues [ 1 Answers ]

Ive been with my boyfriend for 4 years now. He lived in upper state PA and i lived in DE. so we were 1 hour apart. About 1 year ago, i moved up in PA and we got a apartment together. So i moved my whole life for him. i was thinking were going to be together for a long time, maybe for marriage...

Relationship issues [ 2 Answers ]

I have been dateing my boyfriend for 4 months. We fell in love right off the bat. He tells me he loves me a lot. But he treats me like we are not in a really seriouse relationship. He use to text me everyday telling me to have a good day and that he loves me. Now nothing. The only time he will...

Relationship issues [ 19 Answers ]

About seven months ago I became involved with a woman whose husband had abandoned her. At first our relationship revolved around her heartbreak over her husband's actions. He had been unfaithful to her on at least two occasions. He had moved out of the house twice. He had run up credit card debt in...

View more questions Search