Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bman800 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2008, 02:10 AM
    My girlfriend has dated many of my friends . And I can stop thinking about it.
    :confused: me and my girlfriend are going steady but she has already gone out with many of my friends and now I am kind of thinking about this a lot and never got to experience the dating world first, I think I might be jelous but I really do love her and I don't want to leave her. I love her. I have had to watch her fool around with many of my best friends.(before we were together) but she claims she loved me during this!! I think that's unbelievable! But what do I do ? I love her but I kind of want to go out into the dating world explore it... fool around a bit. PLEASE HELP!
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 02:13 AM
    Either get over it real quick or it will end up destrying your relationship.
    bigbird213 Posts: 681, Reputation: 110

Jul 29, 2008, 05:06 AM
    It isn't fair to her if you are thinking about leaving her to "fool around a bit". If that's what you really want, be honest with her and break it off. Don't lead her on while you are having thoughts of not being with her - that isn't fair.

As far as what she did in the past - its just that - the past. You can't hold her past actions against her, and if it is something you can't get over, then maybe it is better of that you two breakup?
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 05:39 AM
    How do your friends feel about you being with their ex? To me that was always an unwritten rule for guys.

Her past, is her past. You either chose to be with her or you don't. You can't hold that against her, it isn't right.

Jul 29, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Rome,

Good point, I didn't even think of that. I agree though, dating your friend's ex's is generally something you want to stay away from. Why would you want to start that sort of drama?
    Andrew916 Posts: 182, Reputation: 33

Jul 29, 2008, 07:06 AM
    I went out with my best friends ex and we were all cool with it. My circumstances were different however. I didn't know at the time that they had gone out. (they had gone out long before I knew either of them). If it really bothers you that much and it's making it uncomfortable, maybe you guys should just be friends. Just my opinion
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Rome already knows I disagree with the "never date an friend's ex" rule. It makes sense from a comradery standpoint, and choosing to employ that rule FOR YOURSELF is fine.

But it's NEVER OK to foster life rules that require OTHER people to act in ways I like just so I won't feel hurt by things that really have nothing to do with me.

Once you break up with someone, they're free to do as they will... date anyone, including people you know or are even related to. It doesn't hurt because they are dating someone you know, it hurts because they are dating someone at all. There's no reason, no REAL LIFE reason, for us to push rules onto our friends and relatives just to ease our healing process.

It makes SENSE that we want to do that, and again, choosing to do it YOURSELF... go for it. But the heart likes whom the heart likes. I would HATE to miss out on dating a potential Mrs. Right just because she and one of my friends dated and it didn't work out. I'd hate to ever find out my butting in kept someone from a true love experience.

Anyway...
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 10:48 AM
    JB, yes, I do know you disagree with that rule. In a way I do as well, simply like this. Depending upon length of relationship and who ended it with who, but I would like to think my friends would have respect enough to ask if I was okay with it if it was a short time after.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 10:59 AM
    How old are you?

I also don't believe her when she says she loved you but was with your friends. It seems like a line to keep you around and stop the questions you have about her.

Jul 29, 2008, 11:11 AM
    JB,

Interesting stand point, and I agree 100% that it has nothing to do with who is dating your ex, it's the fact that someone is dating your ex at all. However, I do have a question for you.

You don't think it is a good quality of a friend to try to help you if they know what they are doing is hurting you? I understand both parties are free to do as they will, but it seems to me that a friend would rather not cause you undue pain than to date this someone...
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 11:39 AM
    I agree BB, I mean I can see both sides of the argument. If the break up is still fresh, I wouldn't expect a friend to dive right into trying to get her, but if time has passed and they bring it to your attention, out of respect I would give them my blessing. One of my best friends is currently dating an ex from HS... Doesn't phase me at all

Jul 29, 2008, 11:45 AM
    I guess it can be called being young or being immature, but I wouldn't have an issue if it wasn't a fresh breakup. I would appreciate the character of a friend if they were to approach me before doing it. Not to say I would be angry if they dated an ex while I still had feelings, but I wouldn't be happy..
    Andrew916 Posts: 182, Reputation: 33

Jul 29, 2008, 11:50 AM
    This may sound strange but I'd like to know my ex is with a friend of mine- just not immediately after the separation. I'd be comfortable knowing she'd with a good guy who isn't a complete a$$ and will treat her right.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 12:02 PM
    I think we all are in agreement on result, and just not on process.

I think mature, healthy individuals can be friends with people who are doing things they don't agree with, possibly even find hurtful, but BEING mature and healthy they can keep that in check, and not affect their friendship over it.

Unfortunately, we all know that most people, especially those coming here for help, are far from healthy OR mature, hehe.

So, as I said, choosing NOT to date someone to spare a friend's feelings... I get that and find it a fine choice to make for yourself. Needing or REQUIRING that back is just immature in my thinking. Understandable, but imposing my feelings into other's relationships is sort uncalled for... in my humble opinion.

Jul 29, 2008, 02:49 PM
    Agreed that it is a decision for you to make and not force on anyone else...

I also agree that it requires a degree of health and happiness in yourself...

Just a hypothetical - what if she left you for a friend of yours?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

$car and $rent to girlfriend until she dated another man [ 4 Answers ]

I will learn from this lesson... I was seeing this woman for almost a year and a half. She was separated but still lived in her husband's downstairs. October of 2007 they filed bankruptcy and her car was reposessed. I gave her $4500.00 on December 10th 2007 from my line of credit to purchase a...

What is my girlfriend/ex girlfriend thinking? Will she realize what she's lost? [ 44 Answers ]

All right, before I start let me just say that I have been dating this girl for 3 years, ever since we graduated from high school. Background info: We met in high school, I really never knew her up until my senior year. We're both the same age and she sat beside me in class because she taught I...

Girlfriend had sex with 3 guys before she dated me. (Kinda bothered about it) [ 11 Answers ]

Well before I knew that she had sex with one guy. But she now tells me its 3. 2 of them were kind of forced on her and 1 was out of love. What really made me mad was one of them knew she took meds for her sickness, took her to the movies, and him and his friend gave her a ride home. I guess the...

View more questions Search