Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Krystina1987 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Does it go back to looking the same after having a baby?
    I was just wondering if after I have my first baby if my vagina/ whatever you want to call it these days, will go back to looking normal like how it was before I had the baby? Or does it change? Like does it look bigger? Will I be really loose? I'm just so afraid that it will get really loose and my partner won't enjoy sex anymore like it was before I had the baby when it was tight. [B]PLEASE SOMEONE RESPOND!!
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 09:14 PM
    It will look about the same, probably, but will never be as tight as it was before. Kegel exercises can help, but it's a huge thing going through a tiny opening, you know? It's made to stretch. It's not going to be the size of a basketball, but it won't be any thimble either, if you know what I mean.
    Krystina1987 Posts: 21, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2007, 09:16 PM
    I wonder if sex won't feel as good anymore for my partner
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 09:21 PM
    Don't put ideas into his head. He will be fine. Do kegels whenever you think of it every day after the baby is born.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 09:39 PM
    The vagina is stretched out by the baby's head, and perhaps you will have an episiotomy which cuts the vagina to allow the baby's head smoother passage out of the birth canal. A woman who has given birth through the vagina, not a Caesarian section, does not give a man a tight fit for his penis anymore.

From the outside, your genitals will not look different to the average eye.

Hopefully, you have interest in further developing your sexuality so that you continue to have a wonderful sex life with your husband. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 12, 2007, 09:51 PM
    The episiotomy doesn't cut the vagina, but is one short cut at the mouth of the vagina -- and often isn't done any longer if the mother has had good labor training and is able to cooperate during the delivery.

The vaginal muscles are made to be able to stretch for the passage of a baby, and will eventually return to almost pre-pregnancy tightness with the muscle-tightening work that kegels do.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 10:24 PM
    Of course, the vagina is stretched during childbirth. Here is some information from a vaginal reconstructive surgeon's website that you might find interesting. NOTE, Kegel exercises are **rarely successful** in restoring vaginal tightness.

"A vaginoplasty is a surgical procedure that tightens the vagina. This is done by removing excess vaginal lining and tightening the surrounding soft tissues and muscles.

During delivery of a baby the vagina and surrounding tissues and muscles become stretched. After delivery the vagina may return to a more "normal" size, but it often fails to return to its' pre pregnancy diameter. Generally, the more vaginal deliveries, the worse the condition gets. Many women will complain of decreased sensation and sexual satisfaction during intercourse. Commonly this is due to a lack of friction. Often their partner may notice a change although he may say nothing. Kegel exercises are often recommended but **rarely succeed in restoring vaginal tightness**.

Vaginal tightening surgery will tighten the vagina and surrounding tissues yielding a vaginal tightness similar to before the patient had children.

We have also had numerous patients who feel loose although they have never had children. On physical exam they indeed had a vaginal diameter that was greater than expected. Vaginoplasty surgery can help these women as well.

Why Would I Want Vaginal Tightening Surgery?

Most women who desire vaginal tightening complain of feeling "loose". They note decrease friction during intercourse resulting in lower levels of sexual satisfaction and more difficulty in climaxing. A tighter vagina will increase friction during intercourse. After surgery, the vaginal tightness is similar to the pre-baby days. You will easily feel the difference and so will your partner.

What Are The Risks Associated With Vaginal Tightening Surgery?

The most common risks of surgery may include bleeding, infection, and scarring, however these are very unusual. Bleeding is controlled at the time of surgery and antibiotics are given postoperatively to prevent infection. With our surgical techniques scarring is very rare.

Where Is The Vaginal Tightening Surgery Performed?

The surgeries are performed in our outpatient surgical suite located in New York City 's Upper East Side.

What Is The Average Length Of Vaginal Tightening Procedure?

The average length of the procedure is between 1 and 2 hours. An additional hour is spent in our recovery room under the supervision of a Registered Nurse."...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    idesign17 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    The vagina is stretched out by the baby's head, and perhaps you will have an episiotomy which cuts the vagina to allow the baby's head smoother passage out of the birth canal. A woman who has given birth through the vagina, not a Caesarian section, does not give a man a tight fit for his penis anymore.

From the outside, your genitals will not look different to the average eye.

Hopefully, you have interest in further developing your sexuality so that you continue to have a wonderful sex life with your husband. :)
    I disagree. I just had a baby in June, and although it is still a little tender where I had stitches (2nd degree tear) now and then, I am back to normal. My husband says that it doesn't feel any different to him, and he still feels as big to me. BTW, my baby girl was 8lb 3oz, so she wasn't little.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 18, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Okay, firstly let me say that it will not return to your pre-pregnant state completely. But it does somewhat return as close to normal as possible. Remember you have something that weighs 6 + pounds coming through a stretchy muscular opening approximately 2 inches in diameter.

Doctors these days attempt to do perineal stretching versus episiotomy whenever possible so that there is faster healing time, and return to a close to pre-pregnant state is more possible.

Kegel exercises are indeed recommended, but you must do them properly and consistently in order for them to work as intended.

Your husband probably won't know the difference if this is your first, but yes, over time, and with more babies, there will be a difference. However, he should love you just the same. Remember, he is partially responsible for this happening. LOL
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Dec 18, 2007, 03:48 PM
    Oh dear. Yes it will be fine-generally speaking. Episiotomies and tears may weaken the area around the fourchette but after time most women notice nothing different and most men wouldn't notice either.
    moppet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux View Post
    Of course, the vagina is stretched during childbirth. Here is some information from a vaginal reconstructive surgeon's website that you might find interesting. NOTE, Kegel exercises are **rarely successful** in restoring vaginal tightness.

"A vaginoplasty is a surgical procedure that tightens the vagina. This is done by removing excess vaginal lining and tightening the surrounding soft tissues and muscles.

During delivery of a baby the vagina and surrounding tissues and muscles become stretched. After delivery the vagina may return to a more "normal" size, but it often fails to return to its' pre pregnancy diameter. Generally, the more vaginal deliveries, the worse the condition gets. Many women will complain of decreased sensation and sexual satisfaction during intercourse. Commonly this is due to a lack of friction. Often their partner may notice a change although he may say nothing. Kegel exercises are often recommended but **rarely succeed in restoring vaginal tightness**.

Vaginal tightening surgery will tighten the vagina and surrounding tissues yielding a vaginal tightness similar to before the patient had children.

We have also had numerous patients who feel loose although they have never had children. On physical exam they indeed had a vaginal diameter that was greater than expected. Vaginoplasty surgery can help these women as well.

Why Would I Want Vaginal Tightening Surgery?

Most women who desire vaginal tightening complain of feeling "loose". They note decrease friction during intercourse resulting in lower levels of sexual satisfaction and more difficulty in climaxing. A tighter vagina will increase friction during intercourse. After surgery, the vaginal tightness is similar to the pre-baby days. You will easily feel the difference and so will your partner.

What Are The Risks Associated With Vaginal Tightening Surgery?

The most common risks of surgery may include bleeding, infection, and scarring, however these are very unusual. Bleeding is controlled at the time of surgery and antibiotics are given postoperatively to prevent infection. With our surgical techniques scarring is very rare.

Where Is The Vaginal Tightening Surgery Performed?

The surgeries are performed in our outpatient surgical suite located in New York City 's Upper East Side.

What Is The Average Length Of Vaginal Tightening Procedure?

The average length of the procedure is between 1 and 2 hours. An additional hour is spent in our recovery room under the supervision of a Registered Nurse."............

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Hmm, I wonder why a surgeon who makes a living from performing vaginal surgery would want to perpetuate this myth... it's not rocket science! He'll make more money!

Two words -Kegels, pilates. You'll be back to normal in no time.
    The human body's capacity to heal never ceases to amaze me!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2009, 05:17 AM
    It can be as tight or tighter than is was with Keigle exercizes... trust me I dated a woman that had 4 kids... and she was tighter than almost any single woman that wasn't a mother I ever dated.

Basically don't sweatabout it. Just work on getting back in shape and toned back up and you will be as good as you ever were. Being a mommy doesn't spell the end of looking great unless you let it.

And speaking as a guy... sex with a tighter than average woman won't last as long as sex with a looser than average woman due to more stimulation... and it's the women that need that extra time to get off.
    Xrayman Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 193
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2009, 03:12 PM

Choux you really need to check your references next time, the surgery mentioned was a Vaginaplasty, (performed for what I consider to be dubious reasons), the OP was referring to the Vulva (even though she called her visible area a Vagina)

I feel that she needed information (if anything)about labioplasty OR vulvoplasty

The vagina is not visible from an external viewpoint.the Vulva, labia minors and majors are.. generally.

And to answer the original question, again, no after a few weeks the vagina WILL return to prepregnancy tightness, and sex will be usually the same for you and your partner.

Kegel excercises are recommended by everyone after birth, however kegels for men and women should continue throughout life.

USE IT OR LOSE IT.

P.S. isn't this a very old post anyway??
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 29, 2009, 09:52 PM

This is OLD.

You members that have been here a while know better.

<CLOSED>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

It's been almost a year, can I get my baby back? [ 27 Answers ]

I am a birthmother and I suffer from depression and lost my husband 2 years before I placed my baby for adoption. I was so depressed and I was not on medication at the time I placed my child for adoption. What are the odds that I can get my child back. I am know on medication for depression and...

When to know it is safe for baby to be back in a freshly painted room. [ 6 Answers ]

The walls were painted in the bedroom. I am not sure if it is safe yet to put our baby back in the room. I am not exactly sure what paint was used and cocking around the windows. The workers told me it is water based. It smelled strong at first but I have been airing it out since...

Baby strange illness. Whole body of baby get harden [ 9 Answers ]

My brother's baby boy 4 months old got a strange illness. He had blood tested, brain scanning, lung checking etc. Everything is normal. But the baby boy got an unpreditable "body harden" illness. That is when it happens, the whole body of the baby get stiff and he can not move, can not cry... We...

More complete explanation of can I get my baby back [ 1 Answers ]

I was very depressed at the time and had no family support. I considered adoption. I called a few agencies and decided to go with a child's waiting. I told them that I was interested in foster care and they told me that if I didn't put the baby (1year old) up for adoption then I would have to...

I'm back baby! [ 7 Answers ]

Well guys, its been awhile since my last post and this may be the last one for me for awhile unless you find me rifting around for the hell of it. Anyway, when I first got on this site I was a wreck. Dumped, left, abandoned, and hurt. You can read into my history if you want. But this site helped...

View more questions Search