Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RCP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Main Breaker loads
    I am trying to figure the capacity of my breaker box. Looking at the main breaker and lugs, there is two sides. So my question is, if the main breaker is a 100 amps; is the capacity of the box 100 amps per side (being 200 amps total), or 100 amps total and only 50 amps per side. The breaker reads 100 amps on each side, but the print on one side looks like it was purposely erased.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2007, 12:56 PM
    Each pole allows 100 amp per hot leg. You can consider it as having 200 amps of 120 volt load. But we never think of it that way. The breaker is rated to operate at 80%, so you only have 80 amps of capacity.

If your planning to add a substantial load, the important issue is calculated connected load. What are you adding and give total square foot of livable space, list all major electric appliances. Type of heat. Size of AC. I can do the calcs to see if you have ample capacity.
    abcsalem Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Sep 24, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    If your planning to add a substantial load, the important issue is calculated connected load. What are you adding and give total square foot of livable space, list all major electric appliances. type of heat. size of AC. I can do the calcs to see if you have ample capacity.
    Question for tkrussell, Calculating the amount of Amps for figuring out capacity
    Sounds like something we need to all learn to keep things working and for the
    Sake of safety too. Would you be kind enough to give us a lesson on this, or point
    To a url that we can read ourselves, it would be greatly appreciate it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2007, 12:37 PM
    Located in the sticky note at the beginning of the electrical forum is :
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ons-48863.html

That contains a link, with instructions, to review the actual National Electric Code. See Article 220, and the examples at the back of the book.

This is somewhat difficult to understand and not easily learned casually.

This is not something a layperson should attempt, unless the article is completely understood. Any errors will result in improperly sized services.

You may try secondary education for electrical code courses. There may be training books out, but none I know of.

I guess in a round about way I am saying I will not be teaching this topic from the beginning. If you can come back with specific questions or examples, I will be glad to help.
    Yipster Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2007, 12:46 PM
    I couldn't imagine trying to learn load calc's on an online forum! I'd sooner try to give a bobcat a backrub in a phonebooth...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between Main Lug and Main Breaker Panel [ 8 Answers ]

What is the difference between a Main Breaker Panel and a Main Lug Panel and can either be used in new residential construction.

Can I convert a main breaker Cutler Hammer loadcenter to main lug? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if Cutler Hammer made a part to convert a main breaker load center (CH) style, to a main lug panel. If so, does anyone know the part number or can you refer me to a location where I could find it? Cutler Hammer's website is not too user friendly. Thanks

Main breaker panel [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a 100 or 125 amp 30 or 32 space main breaker panel(not a mlo) and have been unable to find one. Can some one tell me where I can get one with the main installed? Thanks Jim

New 15A breaker trips main 100A breaker [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've been finishing my basement and I added a few 15A breakers One room has 8 outlets in series with the first starting about 6 feet from the main panel. There is currently no load on this outlets. When installing the drywall I accidentally shorted the outlet closest to the panel. It...

Main breaker and main disconnect [ 2 Answers ]

What I have is a home built in 1960 moved in 2 years it had a meter hanging from the rear of house with no main, 240v 50amp circuit to stove, 240 30amp to dryer, 5 breakers for the rest of house 1 20amp and 4 15amp. What my plan is to replace the meter housing and put a g.e. 200amp Disconnect on...

View more questions Search