Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    victoriashleigh Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Hi! Walked out on a lease. Thank you!
    First, Thank you for taking the time to look at this. I appreciate it. I know how far a simple thank you can go.

A year ago in August 2006 I moved to Norman, Oklahoma. I found an apartment with three other girls and moved in. It was great for the first month; I enjoyed the girls I lived with. I bought all of the groceries just to be nice and so they would like me. Well when I quite buying food and started keeping mine in my room, It all went to Hell in a handbasket. They would leave me mean messages, throw trash at my door, tell me rude things, when we had company they would walk past my room and say "That girl is crazy and we hate her". I had to pack all my stuff when they weren't home and load it in my car and then leave the next morning before they woke up. It was horrible! I know I should not have left but I was getting so depressed. One of the girls that I lived with was the daughter of the owner. I told her about the problems in a phone call but she said it was me doing things like hiding food (That I paid for). She said I would have to deal. I tried I really did, the last straw was when they kicked my dog and locked her in my room with no food or water. Well a year later after I am putting my life back together; I get a form in the mail for small claims. They are suing me for $6,000. The reason is for unpaid rent, key (which was left on the table), locksmith, FOOD, and property of the apartment address. I don't know what to do, I would not have left if I didn't feel threatened but I could NOT live like that. I moved back home to Louisiana.

My question is:

Do I have to show to court? (I live in Louisiana and I can't skip work. I have bills to pay.)
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2007, 09:47 PM
    If you don't show, I think that they will get a default judgement against you, which means that you will now be responsible for a $6000 debt.

If you really feel that you had good reasons to leave (which I hope that you have proof of, because otherwise they can just say that they were perfectly nice to you), then you need to be in court to defend yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pregnant at 16 and the father walked out [ 31 Answers ]

I'm going to be raising my child alone. Yes, I have the help of my mom and my family... but I'm still scared. I know when I first bring the baby home it is going to be hard because I won't have the help of the significant other... Any tips? Thoughtful Advice?

My heart walked out the door [ 299 Answers ]

Entire story merged Are their any sure fire ways or methods in getting your ex love back?

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

A long rocky path walked, but can we make it now? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am new here, so id just like to introduce myself to the community as 'nadakan' *waves* Here is an issue that I would like to see if you guys can help me with. Ill start from the top but try not to make it too long winded! Steve, my current boyfriend, introduced himself at...

I am being walked on [ 7 Answers ]

But how can I stop it. My boyfriend cheats... long long story which would take hours of explaining, but when you get down to the bottom line, I have given him 20.. yes you heard it right there have been 20 I forgive yous, and 20 I will never do it against, where do I go from there... 20 is a little...

View more questions Search