Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antsntrees Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2005, 02:34 PM
    My cpu is at 100 and don't know why
    My cpu is at 100 and is slowing everything down I've defragged my computer, scanned for viruses, and restarted. It just started doing this. Task manager says system idle process is taking up all the cpu. Ireally hope you can help!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2005, 05:56 PM
    What about scanning for spyware/adware?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2005, 03:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by antsntrees
    my cpu is at 100 and is slowing everything down ive defragged my computer, scanned for viruses, and restarted. it just started doing this. task manager says sytem idle process is taking up all the cpu. ireally hope you can help!
    The System Idle Process is meant to be close to 100 :D Basically it's a count of how much your CPU is sitting in an idle state - in other words, doing nothing. High is good - low is bad!

Do what Scott said and search for spyware etc. using Adware, Spybot: S&D and Microsoft Antispyware (search for them all at www.download.com).
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2005, 06:16 AM
    Slow computer
    Hi,
    Go to Start/Run then type in MSCONFIG.
    In that window, click on the StartUp tab at top right.
    Then, look to the left, and scroll down, looking at all the programs that start up when you boot up the computer!
    These are all running in the background.
    If you see something like "auto update", you can left click on the checkmark to remove it, then click on Apply, then OK, then re-boot the computer. Normally, you don't need auto update programs running in the background; you can update these on your own when you want.
    If you uncheck something you need, then you can always go back and left click, checking it again.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2005, 06:19 AM
    Slow computer #2
    Hello again,
    Others alluded to possible Spyware. If you don't already have some these programs listed below, they are free; your computer could have spyware programs running in the background also.
    Here is a list I use, with how to use them:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3
    (If you use the Spyware Blaster free program, then don't set SpyBot to the Immunization feature)

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE V 1.06

CWShredder at:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (CWShredder is intended only for removal of CoolWebSearch files; placed as spyware on the harddrive). It is not a "stand alone" scan, but needs to be run. Download the free version by clicking on "Download stand alone version of CW Shredder".

All 3 of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    This program stops this stuff from getting into the computer in the first place, by placing URL's in the browser, stopping them instantly. One of the Very Best free programs anyone can download!

SpyWare Blaster 3.3

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

Also, here is a link to a free, very good, junk file cleaner, like temp files, etc; that can slow down your computer if you have a great build-up of them:

http://www.ccleaner.com

Best wishes,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I don't know what to do. [ 6 Answers ]

Okay so my name is Erik and I'm 20 years old. I have a girlfriend and she is 17 years old. We've been seeing each other for awhile now. Long enough to know that if something happened between us we would feel it in our stomach for a long time, and that's a ****ty feeling. So the problem is that I...

I don't know what to do [ 4 Answers ]

Ive been with the love of my life for over a year. We are engaged and thing were going great. We moved in with my parent together to save up money till we can get our own place. Hes been looking for a job but has had no luck so far and its really bringing him down. He likes to go out with his...

I don't know what to do [ 29 Answers ]

(I know that this posting is really long, but please take the time... read it, and respond. I really need this adice.) Hello. My name is MaryAnna. I recently moved to where I live about 4-5 months ago. I moved here with my now ex fiancé. Our relationship went donw the drain dew to him. It was...

I don't know [ 8 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I are trying to get pregnant. I have been having normal periods for a while now, taking my mulitvitamins and exercising on a regular basis. Last month July 23 I began to spot lightly, stopped spotting on the 24th, and then began a normal period on the 25th. 12 days later I began to...

I don't know what to say or do [ 5 Answers ]

I'm not sure where to start,OK ill start with my nan and pop live in india and I haven't seen them since I was a child (now 20) and we keep in contact through phone and email. I got an email from my nan and pop today saying that she's having some madical problems and needs a pacemaker. I no a...

View more questions Search