Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ginacoughenour Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 06:16 AM
    Communion, should you be baptized?
    :confused: My family has recently started going to our local christian church, communion is offered during the service. I, nor have my children been baptized, should we take part? If we should not, how do you decline?
    Thank you.
    Gina
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 07:30 AM
    Depends on the practices of your church. If in doubt, ask the pastor/priest/minister. In my church (Episcoplaian) all are welcome to take part - there are no prerequisites at all. In fact, many of our members choose to be baptized and/or confirmed as adults. In other churches there are more stringent rules - in some you must be confirmed in the faith. For example, it's a definite no-no in the Roman Catholic church for non-RC people to take communion - remember Bill Clinton's gaffe when he was president and took communion in a Roman Catholic church?
    Marily Posts: 457, Reputation: 51

Jul 24, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Yes, I believe you should be batized in order to take communion, but there are sinners that do take communion and the bible clearly states that they are eating and drinking damnation to themselves
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Aug 4, 2007, 03:33 PM
    Depends on the church is it catholic? In some churches you have to go through conformation in order to take communion. I went to a prochial school and accidentally took communion and I think they'd of killed me if they could have gotten away with it- I'm not catholic so I have never went through conformation. :-) It makes a great religon story!
    Canada_Sweety Posts: 597, Reputation: 49
    -

Aug 4, 2007, 03:37 PM
    I'm pretty sure you have to... I've been told by many church leaders that baptism is required.
    If you want to decline then just pass it along or say no thank you... that's what I do.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Lutherans want you to talk with the pastor first, before taking Communion. He will ask if you've been baptized and confirmed, and will probably suggest that you follow through with those two rites before taking Communion in a Lutheran church. Otherwise, why would you want to take Communion, he would ask--what would be the point?

Check with the pastor/priest/minister of the church you are attending. And a hint--don't ask him suddenly as you walk into church and blindside him with your request. It would be much more proper to call the church office ahead of time and talk with him by phone or even make an appointment to talk with him in person.
    hettie Posts: 71, Reputation: 8

Aug 4, 2007, 03:55 PM
    I know in the catholic church yes you doneedto be baptuisedinorder to receive communion but instead of decliningit in the catholic faith you can cross your arms across your chest and receive a blessing you can also do this if you are attending a catholic service but are not of the faith I am not sure how it goes with other faiths but I would imagine it is pretty much the same
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 4, 2007, 04:10 PM
    In all Christian churches that I know of you have to be Baptised at a min.

So why not get baptised??

Many require membership in that church, some require confirmation within the church to take communion.

But all of the christian churches that I know of require you at least be baptised.
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Aug 6, 2007, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginacoughenour
    :confused: My family has recently started going to our local christian church, communion is offered during the service. I, nor have my children been baptized, should we take part? If we should not, how do you decline?
    Thank you.
    Gina

I believe the main criteria in God's eyes outside of the legalism of the church is that you are a beleiver and follower of Jesus Christ. The church may have their requirements but personally (which is what our relationship with God is is personal) you MUST be a follower. Remember Mark 1:7 John announced: “Someone is coming soon who is greater than I am—so much greater that I’m not even worthy to stoop down like a slave and untie the straps of his sandals. 8 I baptize you with[d] water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit!” If you have believed, surrendered, and been saved you have been baptized with the Holy Spirit. I believe if you have done those things you are able to participate in the symbolic act of remembering Christ's sacrifice for us.
    Meagan11 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2008, 03:57 PM
    In our church, the only requirement is that you accept Jesus as your lord and savior and you love God with all of your heart, mind, and soul. I have not been baptized and I am waiting for the right time to do it. I finally got my parents, who were never believers and were not baptized, to go to church. That night, they were saved and they took communion. I asked them why they thought they were finally saved and they said that when the pastor began talking about communion and it was passed around, they both just felt this strong urge to take it. Baptized or not baptized, you were still saved by the grace of Jesus.
    SkyGem Posts: 177, Reputation: 18

Jan 17, 2008, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginacoughenour
    Thank you.
    Gina
    Gina, one must also bear in mind that the malefactor who was crucified alongside Jesus in Calvary may have not been baptized, yet Jesus told him "Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in Paradise." What greater proof of a forgiving God can there be! Baptism is certainly very important and Biblical and denotes obedience to God but since the topic is about taking communion, which is symbolic of the body of Christ, we must also remember that Jesus made no rules to require people who wanted to partake of the feast to go through stringent rules before breaking bread with them. Therefore, go with what the Holy Spirit tells you in your heart you should do. He can never be wrong. Man will continue to make his laws and cause divisiveness in order to control the flock. Jesus has always been kind, Loving and Our Heavenly Father together with God the Father who created us and would not turn any away who come with contrite (repentant) heart and inner spiritual need and hunger and who truly seek to share the bread of Life from His table.

Jan 19, 2008, 11:36 AM
    There is a prerequisite to taking communion.
    You must be born again by turning away from sin and placing your faith in Jesus Christ alone. Then if you have no unrepented sin, then partake of communion. It is a very serious thing to partake. You should clearly understand what you are doing when you partake. If you obey God then you will be Baptised. I think it would be proper but not absolutely necessary to be baptised first, since we are saved by faith in Jesus, not by baptism.

God Bless.
    zoe_tink Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2009, 12:00 PM
    Go to websites: Is baptism required before a person can receive communion? and http://www.elite.net/~ebedyah/Pastor...rin11-23-28.ht
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 12:23 PM

There is nothing in scripture requiring you to be baptized before communion. The requirement is solely to have received Jesus as Saviour.

Some churches / denominations may add to those requirements, so if you plan to take communion in a church such as that, out of respect, check first, but very few churches that I have attended go beyond the scriptural mandate of simply requiring salvation as a pre-requisite.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2009, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginacoughenour View Post
    Thank you.
    Gina
    I would ask if Gina or the children understand what they are partaking of ? If they do, then there is no problem. Many different dominational churches within the Christian belief have their own rules set up, and known as traditions of that domination's control.

The scriptures however speak of the traditions which Christ ,Himself followed by the command of His Father. The principle doctrine of Christ would have you understand that you follow Christ. (John 14:6)

Both, Baptism and HolyCommunion are righteous acts of obedience and love in following Christ. "Walking in Christ" becomes a choice of believing in Christ's worthyness, as written in The Word which was made Flesh. Holy Communion is the spiritual eating and drinking of this written Word that was made Flesh in the principle doctrine of Christ. "This do in remembrance of Me" Where baptism is the heavenly spirit bearing witness to a man's choice to believe in Christ, and in belief that Christ is the begotten Son of God, given as the grace Our Father offers to us in love. Once baptized you are buried in Christ to newness of life by the gift of the Holy Spirit, you have put on Christ.

Romans 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
    Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
    Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

For further information read the reference of scriptures below.

(Acts 8:36-37) should be reference in question of baptism
    (1 Corinthians 11:27 ) communion eaten without belief in Christ and lack of knowledge of Christ worthyness.

Know that God reveals truth unto His children that ask in prayer for guidance, and wisdom. Be blessed in asking God to permit you to be all that He created you to be.

~child of God
    Restore2one Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 05:29 PM
    The bible teaches that communion is for those in the body of Christ. It is to be taken in rememberence of what Christ did for us through His life and the sacrifice of his body on the cross (the bread), death (the spilling of His blood represented by the juice or wine),and resurrection (looking forward to taking communion with Christ in His Kingdom). Most believe baptism to be an essential part of the salvation experience, however, many believe that it is not necessary for salvation which comes by faith alone. The bottom line is that your salvation is between the King and you. Church doctrine has nothing to do with it. Church doctrine never saved a soul. Only the acknowledgement of what Christ did on the cross to restore you to the King has the power to save. Belief & faith in the blood shed by Jesus Christ for the remission of sin, that is what you are remembering at communion.
    soccerchick2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2010, 08:32 AM
    Comment on Marily's post
    Marily,
    I must correct you. We are all sinners(everybody). The correct way to state your point you should have said,"lost sinners." If you are saved by christ you are no longer a lost sinner, you do not have to be baptized to be saved.
    soccerchick2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2010, 08:43 AM
    Hello,
    At my church, yes, you must be baptized to receive communion. I am an Episcopalian. I used to go to a non denominational church, but I think it leaned more towards the baptist belief, you did not have to be baptized to receive communion. At most churches I believe you have to be baptized. You should look into being baptized along with your kids. It is a great thing to have done. Then again that decision is very big and serious and completely your own. At my church if you are not saved you receive a blessing, simply by making a x with your arms across you chest.(I guess that might be how you "declined" the communion. I hope I have been of some help to you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerchick2 View Post
    At my church, yes, you must be baptized to receive communion. I am an Episcopalian.
    Hello Soccerchick2 - At the Episcopal Churches I have attended they always make it a point to say that ALL are welcome to take communion - there are no prerequisites. So I wonder if this restriction in your church may be a regional thing? My experience is with Episcopal Churches in NJ, NH, and IL. Where is your church?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can I take communion? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a Catholic and married a non-catholic. We were not marry in the catholic church. We decide that we will keep our own religion but the children will be raise as catholic. I have not take communion for 14 years since I'm with my husband. Can I take communion when I attend mass on Sunday? What...

Can a child be baptized into 2 religions? [ 3 Answers ]

I am English and my husband is Greek and we live in Ireland. My son age 7 was born in Belgium and has a British passport. My husband is going to baptize him in Athens, Greece over Easter so he will be Greek Orthodox, but I want to baptize him in England so he is church of England like myself. Is...

View more questions Search