Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 17, 2009, 08:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilmay12 View Post
    All I know is that when I break up with him it has to be in person
    Huh? No it doesn't. If you insist on that, you are setting yourself up for failure. Like someone else said, email him or text him or send a letter by USPS telling him (short and sweet), "It is over. Goodbye." Then do not under any circumstances talk with or email or text or talk on the phone/in person with him again.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2009, 10:33 PM
    You don't have to do it in person, but you do have to be absolutely sure that it's what you want to do and stick by your decision.

Decide on the day, do it whatever way is most comfortable, change your locks, pack his things up and send them to him in a box.

You should aim to have no more contact with him, and you should advise all your family and friends what you have done. Don't go out on your own, especially at night.

Be very aware that if he is controlling, he may become someone that tries to intimidate you by stalking, or other menacing behavior.

It's really important that you confide in your friends and family - they need to be aware of the extent of the abuse. There is no shame in this, and it's very easy for people to say that you should just leave. Manipulative partners often make us think that we can't leave - mainly out of fear.
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2009, 02:36 PM

If you want to break up with a guy for good, you need to do it with no contact. No "staying friends," no emails, no visits, no contact whatsoever. If he calls you, pick up his phone call tell him you don't want to talk, and hangup. If he calls again, hangup. If he comes to visit, tell him behind the closed door, that you don't want to see him. If he doesn't leave, or returns- call the cops. Let the guy know that you mean business, It is over, for real. Don't call him up and yell at him- by doing this, you are giving him control over your emotions (even if they are negative,) and you are in a way, connecting, which will bring you closer instead of getting him out of your life.
    A lot of women stay with men that are controlling and manipulative because even though they are the "dictators of the relationship" they are very good at being nice when you do things their way. So long as you're obeying them, they don't mind being that 'nice guy.' Women stick around for the 'nice guy.' Stand up for yourself, and don't give him any control over ANY of your feelings. Tell him you're done, and stop all contact.
    If he is trying to control how, when, and where you guys 'break up' you need to stop that too. You will break up on your own terms, and the feeling does not have to be mutual.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 20, 2009, 05:00 PM
    Text him its over, and stop all contact whatsoever. I also noticed after merging all your threads together you have been trying to cheat on him anyway, so end this, and get on with what you want to do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I show somebody that I truly do care about them and its not manipulation? [ 7 Answers ]

Basically there is a guy I really like a lot... But he thinks that I've used him all this time and I'm trying to manipulate him emotionally instead of "directly" or something and he just doesn't believe how much I really like him.

Threats of Suicide and Manipulation [ 18 Answers ]

I find myself in a very difficult position. My son has been in a relationship with his girlfriend for a little over two years. She has not had an easy life. My son is 19 and his girlfriend is 18. I know she has never had stability or someone she can really count on in her life. I give her...

Language and manipulation [ 1 Answers ]

My name is caring Graminius. I

Manipulation [ 1 Answers ]

i

View more questions Search