Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dazzling Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Apr 11, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Why can't I find the right friends?
    I have been in this funk for a few years now. I just don't seem to develop meaningful friendships. I go out of my way to be nice to my neighbors, by inviting them for Coffee or lunch, they come but they never call or even ask to see how I am doing, much less invite me to their apt.

Then I have a friend who is great at Inviting us to their house but does not make the same effort to come to my house. I love going to visit them but I would also like it if they made an effort to come to my house or at least meet me half way. (I have suggested this to him with no result)

Similarly, in graduate school, I meet great people, I am nice & friendly but again the friendship is one sided, where I make the phone calls, plan the meetings with no reciprocation on their parts.

I am quite tired of these one sided relationships, especially people who always want to make things convenient for themselves.

I want a friendship where there is an equal exchange, where I feel like my friends also wants the relationship as much as I do and is willing to make an effort to do the same.

Why can't I find this? What am I doing wrong?
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 02:07 PM

I don't know.
    What ideas do you have to toss around ?
    Are you a good listener?
    Are you fun,do you laugh and enjoy people?
    Are you down to earth so people feel at home with you and not like they are being judged?
    Those are the things I like in people.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 02:13 PM

I agree with artlady,are you coming on too strong?

There's a great saying,to have a friend,be a friend.
    dazzling Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Apr 11, 2009, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I don't know.
    What ideas do you have to toss around ?
    Are you a good listener?
    Are you fun,do you laugh and enjoy people?
    Are you down to earth so people feel at home with you and not like they are being judged?
    Those are the things I like in people.
    These r good questions. I believe I am a good listener, funny and make every effort to make people feel at home. I have a strong personality but I also choose friends who have strong personalities.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2009, 03:05 PM

I have the same problem I have a bunch of great friends scattered within 20 miles and I don't see many of them for years unless I make the effort to go see them.
    People get caught up in their lives and their familiar comfortable surrounding, they get in a rut.
    I doubt it is you but more likely that they have a long list of priority (their life) and they never make it down the list.
    Find hobbies and things that people do that are in their priority list and get involved with them and then you will have friends that do things you are doing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find AND keep friends? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi So for years I have always wanted to have friends, but never have. I think it is lack of confidence mixed with some shyness. When I was in junior high and high school I told classmates that I had friends outside of school. When I was in college I acted like I had friends to people in my...

Can't find friends [ 20 Answers ]

Hello. I am a 22 year old women. I am married and live in a house with my husband and our two roommates (2 of my husband and I's best friends). After high school my husband and I and our roommates moved about 6 hours away from all of our friends and all of their families (except my dad who we moved...

Why can't I find friends [ 21 Answers ]

I recently moved to a new city to join a grad program in psychology and neuroscience. I don't know why but even after a year I feel like I have no friends. I do talk to people and I'm pleasant but people see me as aloof. Somehow I find myself unable to join and mingle with people and have them like...

I can't find my Friends [ 2 Answers ]

:( Can anybody help me find my missing mates, I have a list of a few who I left behind when I had to move with my family. The names of the people are Kirsty, Joseph and Kimberley Penn who are brothers and sisters. There is also patrick and claire Duffield who are brother and sister. If anyone knows...

Find some friends [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Chinese, and I hope to find some friends of American, English, Canada or other English language countries. So that I can talk with them online to improve my English speaking. And I can help them improve their Chinese speaking. Who can help me? :)

View more questions Search