Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carebear99 Posts: 42, Reputation: 4

Oct 9, 2008, 11:13 PM
    Dealing with a stubborn friend
    My best friend and I have always been really close. We're both 22 and have been friends for 20 years. I don't remember my life without her.. She has always been there. We went to the same elementary school, same high school, and lived only 1 block apart until she moved to a different city last year. We respect each other a lot and appreciate each others time... I hope... One thing that is really starting to get to me is that She's too stubborn. If we fight, she will never step up to the plate and say it was her fault. And I'm the type of person who always gives in. I've been doing this for way too long. Recently we got in a little fight and I told myself that I shouldn't be the first one to give in because if I do, she'll take advantage of it again the next time. She always waits for me to make an effort. So we fought last month and it's been 20 days now, with no contact. I think about her everyday and it hurts knowing that not once has she bothered to be the bigger one and just apologize for what she did...
    (the problem was that she was supposed to hang out with me but then last minute sold me out and went with someone else)... At the time she told me she was going to go with someone else, I said it was okay and that she could go. But after that she never contacted me again. Because she knows I'm mad/sad deep down inside. Every time she knows I'm mad/sad, she knows I'm not the type of person to say anything and I keep everything bottled up inside and she starts to take advantage of it. I just don't know what to do. Sometimes I think I'm over thinking it and that it might be my fault. But I need to learn how to stick up for myself. I can't be treated like a doormat everything. I hope this makes sense, I'm just full of 20 days worth of anger and needed to vent. Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 10, 2008, 02:06 AM

Seems to me the respect you mention between the two of you is only one sided.
    SweetDee Posts: 534, Reputation: 51

Oct 15, 2008, 06:24 AM

It sounds to me (at the end of your post... ) you already know what you should do.

I think in this life we teach people how to treat us. I think she's treating you badly because she CAN and because you let her.

You seem very needy of her. Why not keep her as a good friend and find a better one? One that will treat you with respect.. How can you expect people not to walk all over you if you always set up the matt for them? (The only thing you are not doing is giving directions to where the matt can be located!). Don't be a door matt, PLEASE. No more.

Decide that you are an awesome person and an awesome friend... and that you deserve MORE. Let her come to you. If she doesn't then she truly could care less about you, dear.

When/if she does call, make it easy for her to apologize. DO NOT LET HER GIVE YOU HELL FOR NOT BEING THE ONE or try and manipulate her way into being right. Tell her she wasn't being very thoughtful to your friendship and that you expect more from her after all these years.

It's GOOD to have expectations of people. If you didn't then how low and unworthy are you?

You are a loyal and loving friend. You CAN expect the same in return, you really really can. Xo
    cheko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2010, 07:04 AM

I'm going threw the same thing man my friend I've known since we where born. The best you can do is just talk to her bit by bit at some point ull get to a conversation where you guys will get along very well and it will remind both of you of how much fun the past years youv known each other.
    Kim6977 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2010, 06:07 AM
    Waw.
    To tell you the truth...
    I've got kind of the same problem. My best friend and I got in a fight over a stupid thing, but that fight turned really big. I realized how Stubborn she is! She also thinks she's ALWAYS right and she insults me a lot. (exc. You're such an idiot, shut up, .. ) I know these might not sound so bad for you, but when someone is telling you that Everyday it's not fun.. =/
    And when I say to her that she's a OR I say stop insulting me she just says - Oh you're so boring, or I was just kidding... but with so much... arrogance?
    AND the thing that I HATE the most is that if we get in a fight or something, she doesn't want to talk it out, she just walks away or says - no, just forget it... Hello?!
    Ugghhh. I'm so furstrated!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Stubborn A/C Unit [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5kw A/C -elect heat unit (York) That is being exteremly stubborn. It seems that the t-stat will not control the unit condensing unit runs constantly and the blower will not run at all unless I jump the R and G terminals together on the control board in the unit. The bord has been replaced...

Dealing with losing my best friend/woman I love after having a short affair with her. [ 14 Answers ]

Well,I'm having a tough year obviously.. The story goes like this: I met this great looking girl 7 years ago while surfing (both).She was 20 and I 18.We went on to be best friends,since we both had beach houses at the same place,had the same interests,tastes,and generally really liked each...

Dealing with stubborn toddler [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My two years old son has become very stubborn and crancky these days. For every small thing he starts crying and becomes very aggressive,he hits us if we do not listen to him. I've tried to explain him,being strict too... but doesn't work he keeps on crying for hours together if we hit him or...

Stubborn dog [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to teach my dog to jump into the back of my Excursion? He is only a year and a half so he is definitely capable but he won't do it. I've tried treats and lots of encouragement but he won't even try. He can jump out with no problem. Any suggestions?

Stubborn Wallpaper [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into my house about a year ago and I've almost finished renovating all the rooms except the kitchen and dining room. I've decided to start this week and my first task is removing a wallpaper border. I used a scoring tool and then used a mix of hot water and Poly-Peel to loosen the...

View more questions Search