Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    happybisaya Posts: 68, Reputation: 6

May 8, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Replacing landscape light fixtures..
    We have a landscape lighting (that goes the length of our walkway on both sides) that was installed when the house was built, and that was 14 years ago. The light fixtures are getting chipped and moldy and I want to replace it for a much up to date ones. Is it possible to change just the fixtures or I have to replace the wires as well? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

May 10, 2006, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by happybisaya
    We have a landscape lighting (that goes the lenght of our walkway on both sides) that was installed when the house was built, and that was 14 years ago. The light fixtures are getting chipped and moldy and I want to replace it for a much up to date ones. Is it possible to change just the fixtures or I have to replace the wires as well? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)
    do all the lites still work... you must check for short and exposing connection... even if the wiring is still in good (safe) condition you still have to install an GFI outlet... as for the low voltage (12v ) make sure the transformer (power supply) is compatible with the total power of all the lite fixtures

May 10, 2006, 08:06 PM
    Thanks for your response. All the lights (7watts) still work, and it is plugged in a GFI outlet (is it the one with buttons that says "test" and "reset"?). There are 12 light fixtures that I am planning to replace that is if I can do it. I am going to check the length of the wire for any tear.

May 11, 2006, 05:07 PM
    Thanks for your response. All the lights (7watts) still work, and it is plugged in a GFI outlet (is it the one with buttons that says "test" and "reset"?). There are 12 light fixtures that I am planning to replace that is if I can do it. I am going to check the length of the wire for any tear.
    After 14 years and they all still work... it because the owner did not abuse them/ good installation/good fixture... try to put them back the way tthey are now... use new connector/ wire nut (they have those seal wire nut at lowe and HD)... test your GFI

May 12, 2006, 07:06 AM
    I really appreciate your info. When you say test the GFI, did you mean that I should push the "test" and then push the "reset" buttons?

May 12, 2006, 03:14 PM
    I really appreciate your info. When you say test the GFI, did you mean that I should push the "test" and then push the "reset" buttons?
    Yeah push to see if it reset... if test fail... replace it...

May 14, 2006, 09:39 AM
    Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a bathroom vanity light [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a bathroom vanity light and would like the replacement to also have an electrical outlet since there is none in this 1960ish bathroom. Do they make these anymore? If not, in what other way could I get both a light and an electrical outlet in the bathroom? Thanks

220v european wall light fixtures [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to use an exterior wall light fixture bought in the US for 110v light bulb, in Europe. I was told the existing wiring is rated to take 220v and the light bulb socket is rated for 250v. Can I use this fixture in europe or should I change the light socket and wires with what is used...

Installing new bathtub and fixtures... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi My wife and I just began ripping out our old bathtub to put in a new one. We decided we would also like new faucettes etc. I disconnected the hot and cold taps but the shower pipe will not come loose. Is this a soldered pipe? It appears to have a nut on it but I can't get it loose at all. Any...

Replacing bathtub and shower fixtures [ 4 Answers ]

(1) When replacing bathtub "snout", shower controls etc.. Do you caulk around the fixtures or use plumbers puddy? The original installation had plumbers puddy. (2) Do you place the caulk so the fixtures "sqeeze" out some material or just inside the fixtures? Example: I've obtain some...

Tub won't drain, other fixtures are fine... [ 5 Answers ]

We've a full bath (combo shower/tub, lav and toilet) where the tub either does not drain at all, or will take 48 hours to finally go down (when aided by chemicals I know I should not be using). The lav and toilet have no flush/drain problems, so I'm not thinking it's a bad vent situation... could...

View more questions Search