Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blister01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 10:45 AM
    How much jail time will she receive
    My daughter was charged with 2 counts of theft under and 1 count of breach. She has a young son of 22 months and is on social assistance. Her common law husband has just started a new job. How much jail time will she if any get?

blister01
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 11:01 AM
    2 counts of theft under? Under what, if this is canada I will guess theft under 5000.
    And one count of breach?? Breach of what, sorry you are not giving complete info on your question.

In the US, very few places accept common law , so it may be a live in boyfriend you are talking about not a husband.

And she is on assistance, I would also be worried aobut social services getting involved in home studies and other issues even beyond,

Also how much was stolen and how was it stolen, shop lifting 30 dollars is different than taking 4000 dollars of items.

Please explain what the case is about.
    Carebear99 Posts: 42, Reputation: 4

Jun 11, 2008, 11:02 AM
    She won't get any jail time... If this is the first time she's ever ran into the law, she can be granted the alternative measures program which is usually community service hours opposed to jail time.
    Carebear99 Posts: 42, Reputation: 4

Jun 11, 2008, 11:05 AM
    As Fr_chuck just mentioned that

"shop lifting 30 dollars is different than taking 4000 dollars of items."

That's not true... The courts will only see THEFT UNDER 5000... They don't see exactly how much the item that was stolen was... You can be charged for stealing a 50 cent candy bar and it will still show up as theft under $5000. They won't see it as

Theft under $5000 (candy bar)...

They just see Theft under $5000!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much jail time on a first time probation violation [ 6 Answers ]

How much jail time on a first time felony probation violation

Will I get jail time? [ 4 Answers ]

I am on unsupervised probation as of may 22nd.. and on June 4 I was arrested for a minor in possession. I was in a car with unopened alcohol (an 18 pack of keystone). A girl in the car with us claimed the alcohol as hers, but the officers wrote everyone a ticket. Will I have to do jail time? I am a...

More Probation time or Jail Time? [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently on 3-year probation for , identity theft in the third, 3 counts of reckless endangerment-2nd,false written statement and reckless driving and leaving the scene. The driving charges are separate from the Identity theft charge. Recently two detectives came to my home questioning me in...

Time it takes to receive copy of lease [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Do you know - in nyc - is there a time limit on when a landlord can return a copy of a lease. I signed it around aug 10. Moved in aug 20th and have not received a copy of the lease.

Jail time [ 1 Answers ]

How much time must somebody serve for a sentence robbery with a dangerous weapon he go 20 yrs 11 suspended and its under Maryland article section subsection 3-403 how many years must he do and on a use of a handgun in commission/ felony 5years under article section subsection 4-204 I need to know...

View more questions Search